Overrated Gear

as.ks.ak

WKR
Anything sold by Vortex.

Precursor, I’m not defending vortex by any means here. I have a pair of 10x42 vipers that live in my truck.

But it should be noted the one thing they do a FANTASTIC job at selling is their warranty.

That being said, once a guy comes to the realization that they’re selling their warranty harder than they are their actual products, it should open one’s eyes.

All I’m saying is it should be noted, their warranty is the best thing they sell soooooo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danner boots.
Any of them.
This is beside the fact that they're built for abnormally narrow feet.

Cool factor is high, comfort and durability is low
Couldn't agree more.
Pronghorns and High Countrys failed way before they should have, High Country you could feel every pebble through the sole...Horrible chukar boots.
My USA Danners are really nothing to speak of.
I prefer the discounted Italian boots I get off of STP way more.

Precursor, I’m not defending vortex by any means here. I have a pair of 10x42 vipers that live in my truck.

But it should be noted the one thing they do a FANTASTIC job at selling is their warranty.

That being said, once a guy comes to the realization that they’re selling their warranty harder than they are their actual products, it should open one’s eyes.

All I’m saying is it should be noted, their warranty is the best thing they sell soooooo

Even their warranty is overrated based upon the number of "passed our tests" scopes but only work as "dust collectors" in my garage. Can't even have an "accident" with them to get a new or refurb to sell.

Not sure when they inserted this little tidbit:
The VIP Warranty does not cover loss, theft, deliberate damage or cosmetic damage that does not hinder the performance of the product.

That may exclude any tests (past/present/future) that an individual may perform to see if their scope will hold zero.

as.ks.ak

WKR
Even their warranty is overrated based upon the number of "passed our tests" scopes but only work as "dust collectors" in my garage. Can't even have an "accident" with them to get a new or refurb to sell.

Not sure when they inserted this little tidbit:
The VIP Warranty does not cover loss, theft, deliberate damage or cosmetic damage that does not hinder the performance of the product.

That may exclude any tests (past/present/future) that an individual may perform to see if their scope will hold zero.

Yikes

The replaceable blade knives. They are just so easily broken. Can’t do any major torquing. Broken more blade than deer skinned. This is the 60 blade with a tyto and a havalon
I love the outdoor edge replaceable knives. Give em a shot. I've done several moose with mine (in addition to other animals). Can do a full moose with 2-3 blades. Never had one break and we do full breakdown of all the joints. No saws or hatchet, just the outdoor edge. No need to be "torqueing" - especially when essentially using a scalpel.

To be fair, I've watched my buddy try and use a havalon on a moose. He broke a couple of blades just trying to get through the hide and now uses the outdoor edge.

Lowg08

WKR
I love the outdoor edge replaceable knives. Give em a shot. I've done several moose with mine (in addition to other animals). Can do a full moose with 2-3 blades. Never had one break and we do full breakdown of all the joints. No saws or hatchet, just the outdoor edge. No need to be "torqueing" - especially when essentially using a scalpel.

To be fair, I've watched my buddy try and use a havalon on a moose. He broke a couple of blades just trying to get through the hide and now uses the outdoor edge.
I’ll definitely look into it

I was cutting up a buck with a havalon once and broke a blade I wasn't able to find....until I was grinding. That was scary

fholdburg

FNG
Years ago I bought a 1000 yard Leupold laser rangefinder. Spent the extra coin and got the LED (red) reticle. I could never get ranges beyond 650 yards, and over years the reticle degraded and degraded and now only the inner most portions are visible.
Oof! My experience with the vortex ranger 1000 was horrible. The vortex razor 4K is cream of the crop though

Maybe - a couple weeks ago we had a horse take off with my son’s rifle and scabbard only partially attached to the saddle. That sucker was swinging like crazy when the horse turned the corner and I heard the rifle smack a tree. Luckily the scope took the entire blow, busted it up bad. Vortex send us a new one. No nightforce or swaro or S&B would have survived that. So grateful for vortex and their warranty. I own a lot of different optics including NF and Leupold, Vortex will always have a place in my arsenal. Also, the HS-T that was on my son’s rifle has performed flawlessly until the incident. I have owned several HS-Ts and PSTs and they always perform well.

Discounted Italian boots all day. I have orange Crispi Thor GTX's I got for $167.00. My feet do not care if they are orange either.

Mojo King mallard. The features get better and the quality gets worse with every iteration from Mojo. Still one of best options there is which is unfortunate. Talk about a product no company can get perfect (mixing price features and durability). Feels like it shouldn’t be that hard.

Also, the radio in the Garmin Rhino.., run it next to a $25 set from sportsmen’s and you realize how many calls for assistance from a buddy you might be missing.

brunse

Lil-Rokslider
For me it be a kifaru pack i bought an ran last year for elk hunting. Ill pry get some backlash on this but i could not have been more dissapointed in it. I came home and ordered an Exo pack ; havent used it for elk yet but from testing it ,it feels a lot better.
Sell it. Big market for lightly used Kifaru s.

Datchew

FNG
Any rainproof gear that's tight weave with a chemical repellant. Get goretex or rubber/plastic membrane or it's only water RESISTANT for a short time.

KnuckleChild

Lil-Rokslider
Any rainproof gear that's tight weave with a chemical repellant. Get goretex or rubber/plastic membrane or it's only water RESISTANT for a short time.
I think the DWR stuff has it’s place but I agree it’s overrated in that its’ capabilities are oversold

Time2fish

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with Danner boots being overrated, very easy to blow through a pair in a season just to get them replaced and blow thru them again.
Disagree with uncompahgre, I love mine! Hardly ever leaves my pack from archery, thru ducks, and winter fishing. Heavier than down but much better in wet weather.

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
Let’s face it, we have all been sucked into the hype surrounding a product, only to be disappointed about performance in the field. Nonetheless, failures in performance, function, and durability can become a big issue fast in our pursuit, and they are good to know about. Especially in an environment full of paid promotion.

What overhyped gear has disappointed you or failed on you? What was the shortcoming or failure? How could the product be improved upon? Have you found a better option?

This isn’t meant to be a negative thread, but rather a place to bring to light the flaws in over-hyped products, in hopes of making them better or glorifying superior options. I realize that a lot of this stuff is personal preference, so let’s try not spend time bickering back and forth on who is right or wrong, offer constructive advice on a fix or alternative option or move along.
I run Stone Glacier products, from clothes to packs and they have been what I've been looking for for sometime. Less is more when you are deep in the backcountry and I have yet to find a weakness or an annoyance about anything I have ran from them. I'm a minimalist and they cater to the ultralight backcountry folks.

trogers861

Lil-Rokslider
Vortex binos and older sitka gear. Just feel that Vortex overpromises and under delivers. They try to compare themselves to alpha glass when in reality they are far from it IMO.

Older sitka stuff just didn't fit right--the cuts on shirts and jackets, pants, etc. I always wondered who the hell tried on and approved that stuff. I am a big guy (6'6" 250lbs) and I swear they never had someone try on their XL clothing--seemed liked they just scaled up the size of their 'normal' clothing.