Overrated Gear

HDwild

WKR
I run Stone Glacier products, from clothes to packs and they have been what I've been looking for for sometime. Less is more when you are deep in the backcountry and I have yet to find a weakness or an annoyance about anything I have ran from them. I'm a minimalist and they cater to the ultralight backcountry folks.
I currently use the SG Sky pack and have loved it. The S-curve frame fit my back better than any pack I’ve ever had. When I ordered the SG I also bought an exo with the intention of returning the one I didn’t like. To be honest I was mentally leaning towards the exo before they showed up but once they got there I loaded them with weight and started moving around and stepping over simulated deadfall, the SG was a clear winner.

With that said I did find an annoyance this year with the pack. For some reason something in the frame is squeaking when I walk. Just randomly started in the middle of a hunt. Weird

HDwild

WKR
Ultra realistic duck decoys which sell at a rediculous price that are supposed to pull the birds right out of the air.

Don't get me wrong, the detail can't hurt but its not needed. I have a few (6) avery widgeon decoys that are moderately realistic. But my spread is mostly made of older cheaper mallard/teal/pintail decoys (that don't glare) and we decoy birds in when hunting high pressure areas just fine.

When I hunt with my buddy, we shoot over his mallard and widgeon decoys that are probably 20 years old and look like $%^& compared to the new stuff out there and they work just fine too.
Amen. I know guys who paint their oversized decoys jet black so the birds can see them better and they limit over them all the time.

fatlander

WKR
With that said I did find an annoyance this year with the pack. For some reason something in the frame is squeaking when I walk. Just randomly started in the middle of a hunt. Weird

That’s not unique to SG. All packs will develop a squeak when they’re dirty. Give it a good bath and it’ll take care of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sleeping bag ratings. Why don’t the manufacturers rate them for comfort rather than survival. I have to buy one that’s rated almost 20 degrees colder than I think it’s going to get at night.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Sleeping bag ratings. Why don’t the manufacturers rate them for comfort rather than survival. I have to buy one that’s rated almost 20 degrees colder than I think it’s going to get at night.
Standardized ratings would also be nice, as it is, ratings are not really comparable between manufacturers.

Expensive multi tools. Got a Leatherman Skeletool for ~$80 that I never use.
A cheap walmart multi tool is ~$6, has more tools, weighs only half an ounce more and i don't care if I lose it. Probably not as durable but whatever... I'll replace it if needed without second thought. I'm much more likely to lose it than to break it any way.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
I run Stone Glacier products, from clothes to packs and they have been what I've been looking for for sometime. Less is more when you are deep in the backcountry and I have yet to find a weakness or an annoyance about anything I have ran from them. I'm a minimalist and they cater to the ultralight backcountry folks.
Their clothing is heavy. 19 oz pants and 15+oz rain gear pieces is not ultralight.

Mystery Ranch Popup - uncomfortable and noisey pos. Got mad enough at it to mod it and now it's decent but that pack really pissed me off that first season with it. I know I could have sold it but I liked the concept so just modded that heck out of it until I got what I wanted out of it. I'd never buy another one though (I have the first version) and just generally steer away from their products for the most part.

A domestic cow decoy for archery antelope hunting. Antelope maybe curious, but they sure aren’t dumb.
Me and a buddy built a cow decoy with bicycle wheels about 30 years ago. First day we used it ,it almost worked got within about 60 yards of a small buck. T he very next try we ended up surrounded by about 50 range cows....

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
They are all ISO rated.
Well I stand corrected, there is a decent rating system for bags.

However, I'm not sure all of them are. It does not look like Western Mountaineering gives ISO ratings, nor does Feathered Friends, Marmot does. Those are the first three that came to mind.

WyoKid

WKR
Expensive multi tools. Got a Leatherman Skeletool for ~$80 that I never use.
A cheap walmart multi tool is ~$6, has more tools, weighs only half an ounce more and i don't care if I lose it. Probably not as durable but whatever... I'll replace it if needed without second thought. I'm much more likely to lose it than to break it any way.
I thought the same until I busted a cheap fake leather man and gave myself blood blisters along the inside of all 4 fingers on that hand. Now I try really hard to have the right tool for the job instead of trying to turn rusted nuts and bolts with crappy pliers.

Definitely overrated. There are a bunch of existing calibers that are just as good or better in either long or short cases.
It's true, there are but are those cartridges supported by long bullets and rifles with appropriate twist to stabilize the bullets?
I'm not a 6.5 Creed fanboy but it does seem the industry has supported this cartridge for long range ballistics better than others.
See 243Win and 6mmRem for example.