Overrated Gear

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
Ultra realistic duck decoys which sell at a rediculous price that are supposed to pull the birds right out of the air.

Don't get me wrong, the detail can't hurt but its not needed. I have a few (6) avery widgeon decoys that are moderately realistic. But my spread is mostly made of older cheaper mallard/teal/pintail decoys (that don't glare) and we decoy birds in when hunting high pressure areas just fine.

When I hunt with my buddy, we shoot over his mallard and widgeon decoys that are probably 20 years old and look like $%^& compared to the new stuff out there and they work just fine too.

Last edited:

rekkr870

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Mostly anything dealing with expensive ass “hunting” clothing.

Learned pretty quick to buy real merino wool from guys who aren’t so “tactical and high speed.” Plain merino shirts and thermals are amazing.

Also, wrangler outdoor flex cargo pants are the shit. $30 instead of $200 because of fusion camo.

So basically anything plain in a brown or olive color is all I wear for hunting. Duckworth is awesome. So is smart wool.

Oh and Kifaru packs are cool, but I’m not a fan of them for hunting how I hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kifaru Lost Park jacket and pants, along with their Slik bag. Way to heavy, froze my ass off, zero value vs cost.
We all have to find the right tools for what we do, I’m on the opposite end of that spectrum, it’s not crazy cold here, it’s very wet, and very brushy… I don’t know there is a better puffy on the market for my region than the LPP, it’s plenty warm for our temps (upper 20’s and a breeze is about as cold as it gets) doesn’t matter if it gets soaked, and it will get soaked, and it’s tougher than most puffy jackets… perfect garment for the coast

Same with the slick bag, it’s perfect for around here, and seems right on point for temp ratings, I have the 20* and have slept in the mid 20’s in it comfortably, and is great for what I do… I got it pretty wet last year in the low 30’s and the only discomfort I had was slush/rain coming through my shelter and dripping on my face

If I hunted a colder and dryer climate, I would have a down puffy and WM bag, they just aren’t very versatile here

I do have a down puffy I wear mostly not in the woods, when it’s dry, but I have got it wet plenty of times and it turns worthless

The new Sitka Kelvin Aerolite stuff. I have the vest and jacket and it’s been an utter let down in warmth compared to the older Kelvin Lite stuff.

It might pack down better but the new gel infused down is gimmicky. Sure wish I would have just held onto my old Kelvin Lite hoody. It’s also baggy compared to anything else I’ve owned from Sitka.

Last edited:
Same here with Vortex. Learned my lesson with one scope and will never buy again.

Yeah other than my Range finder I have sold all my Vortex stuff. Seriously over rated sub quality stuff. Ive seen some scopes come back in to the gun shop that really made you scratch your head
To what ever quality they claim to have.

Out of curiosity I bought a Athlon binos for half the price of my Vipers and I absolutely could not tell a difference in glass, light absorption or overall build quality. Personally found Maven to be the best bang for your buck overall. Still no Swaro but not as much hurt in the wallet either.

Last edited:
Vortex is overrated. Won’t buy anymore. Pieces falling off, scopes becoming fixed powers in the cold when you can’t turn them, and wasted time sending them back.

Only thing I can promise you is you will use the warranty to send all your Vortex stuff back. Hope it don’t fail on a hunt for you.

Can’t bring my self to even sell the stuff. Zeiss or Leupold for me.
I feel the same about Leupold. Still very outdated reticles…

Operator

Lil-Rokslider
Underrated: I bought a bushnell range finder back in the 90's, it looked like a par of binoculars from the front and from the rear a monocular. I did everything from dropping them from a deer stand, banging them on trees to getting them muddy, soaking wet and they just kept on going like a bad cold. I never liked them for two reasons, large and terrible performance in low light. I finally gave up on them quiting bought another bushnell range finder with true distance capability 199$ work great and very clear plus functional in low light. Still have the old ones and they still work, guess I could use the for target shooting setups. Good problem to have sometimes you get good value

Billinsd

WKR
The new Sitka Kelvin Aerolite stuff. I have the vest and jacket and it’s been an utter let down in warmth compared to the older Kelvin Lite stuff.

It might pack down better but the new gel infused down is gimmicky. Sure wish I would have just held onto my old Kelvin Lite hoody. It’s also baggy compared to anything else I’ve owned from Sitka.
My experience is that it is as warm as kelvin lite and it packs down smaller. Could be a wee bit less warm.

Billinsd

WKR
Ultra realistic duck decoys which sell at a rediculous price that are supposed to pull the birds right out of the air.

Don't get me wrong, the detail can't hurt but its not needed. I have a few (6) avery widgeon decoys that are moderately realistic. But my spread is mostly made of older cheaper mallard/teal/pintail decoys (that don't glare) and we decoy birds in when hunting high pressure areas just fine.

When I hunt with my buddy, we shoot over his mallard and widgeon decoys that are probably 20 years old and look like $%^& compared to the new stuff out there and they work just fine too.
Depends on your latitude on the flyways, further north dumber birds, further south more educated birds, realism more important.

Billinsd

WKR
Any scent covers. They don't cover scent, they just smell like something else. Might as well rub chocolate birthday cake all over yourself and call it good. Just hunt the wind.
I don't think cover scents mask human scent much if anything either. I believe human scent is so alarming to animals they still detect it through cover scent. Just hunt the wind? Not exactly, the stronger you stink with human and unnatural scent, the bigger and longer your scent cone, beyond which the animals don't react negatively. I wish I could always hunt into the wind and that it never swirled or shifted. That's why I keep as clean and scent free as "practical", ESPECIALLY bowhunting. I wish I could always hunt into the wind with my dogs, however, most of the time it's 50:50. I try and hunt into the wind with my dogs in real birdy terrain and walk back down wind in my second choice line.

Last edited: