Overrated Gear

True. Which adds to my point. The ones they did make have huge design flaws.
The market has evolved past the old Navistar 7.3 school bus engine. 190hp doesn't cut it in the dealerships these days.
That thing was as loud as a bucket of bolts.

Ford modern engines may have issues but at least frame and spring failure isn't on the menu.

It just amazes me how people worship Toyota when they're really just a fashion accessory.

Does anyone have any experience with the Nemo Moonlight? Been eyeballing the Helinox Chair One and the Big Agnes Skyline when the Nemo popped up on my radar as a possiblity as well.
I've had a Moonlight for about a year now, I use it for backpacking and glassing. It's stable and comfortable, it seems to have a wider seat that fits my large rear end well. It packs down relatively small, not quite as small as the Chair One though - weight is just a little under 2lbs.

I'm surprised at the Tikka comments.
I bought my first Tikkas in 2003 (T3 in 300WSM $550 and 7-08 $500) and have added 2 more to the safe since then.
Besides the stock not being in the ranks of a custom, they are light, well-machined, and reliably accurate.
You can spend more and replace a few parts if you want to but why would they be considered 'overrated'?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Recalls don't just 'happen'.
Lots of unsatisfied owners.
My 2015 F150 with 132k has needed none of the remedial engineering that my Toyotas required.
There's a reason you see so many Toyotas with aftermarket parts.
They're necessary.
It wasn't a Recall, it was a TSB, Toyota Service Bulletin. Some springs were weak, some weren't. My 06 TRD has had none of the issues you listed. I'm more inclined to think you thrashed it and blamed the truck. Doesn't ruffle my feathers, mine has worked like it should. 272k and rolling. One thing I've noticed, people who like their trucks just keep on keeping on, people who don't make sure everyone knows on forums. Lots of F150s out there with issues too. Just is what it is.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It wasn't a Recall, it was a TSB, Toyota Service Bulletin. Some springs were weak, some weren't. My 06 TRD has had none of the issues you listed. I'm more inclined to think you thrashed it and blamed the truck. Doesn't ruffle my feathers, mine has worked like it should. 272k and rolling. One thing I've noticed, people who like their trucks just keep on keeping on, people who don't make sure everyone knows on forums. Lots of F150s out there with issues too. Just is what it is.

You might want to become more familiar with your car...https://donotpay.com/learn/how-make-toyota-frame-recall-claim/

What's the Story Behind the Toyota Frame Recall?​

This latest recall is just one of several in Toyota's history of rusted truck frames. There were so many complaints that Toyota eventually had to settle a class-action lawsuit by offering a limited repair window.

In the case of this specific Toyota frame recall, it's especially difficult to get your vehicle repaired for free. NHTSA recalls don't have expiration dates, but Toyota's recall only offered an extended frame warranty to its customers. The majority of drivers affected by the recall don't even know about it!

When any part of a vehicle becomes rusted, it often spreads to other parts of the vehicle. If the frame remains unfixed, your car is prone to many severe safety issues, including:

You might not want to read the entire thread...It's full of stories and photos of rusty, failed Tacomas and other issues Toyota screwed the owners on.

Mdanks

FNG
Years ago I bought a 1000 yard Leupold laser rangefinder. Spent the extra coin and got the LED (red) reticle. I could never get ranges beyond 650 yards, and over years the reticle degraded and degraded and now only the inner most portions are visible.
What range finder did you settle on? Mine took a dive after last season.

Honestly the vast majority of the “hunting” brand clothing. It works for some guys but I found after spending significant amounts of time in the field it doesn’t hold up.

Not to mention there is almost always a better quality clothing piece in a non hunting brand. If you want some ideas on this and are looking to replace a certain piece feel free to PM me for a recommendation.

How about 3L durable and reasonably light rain gear. I've got stone glaciers m5 set, but the dwr coating seems subpar and wets through rather quickly

Big Agnes tigerwall tent. Wayyy to delicate for anything but fair weather camping or a single night in a storm

TFrank

WKR
People like to bash on Ford but in reality, their light trucks are the backbone of the domestic work fleet and arguably work harder than any other light trucks in the industrial applications.
You NEVER see Toyota represented in an industrial fleet. They do not have the capacity for work that domestic manufacturers have designed for.
Here is an example:
Wobbly

I thought Toyotas were the industrial fleet for ISIS? 😁

forestry

FNG
I think for a lot of users, a pyramid tent might be overrated. They are probably the lightest way to get a stormworthy shelter that can hold several people, but they require a large area to set up, they have a center pole that feels in the way, and are prone to condensation issues depending on how they're set up.

Plus, when people consider weight, they often fail to consider the weights of ground sheets, liners, or nests that effectively turn mids into double wall tents. Also there is the weight of poles, which many people use instead of trekking poles. Once these things are factored in, a mid might not represent much in terms of weight savings. Weather resistance will still be higher than a comparably lightweight 4-man backpacking tent, but for a lot of uses a mid isn't a slam dunk.

Remember that mids have been around for decades and have only really caught on for the general backpacking/mountaineering community for specific purposes. It seems that they've really found their niche for hunters looking to run a stove in the backcountry.

Voyageur

WKR
It seems that they've really found their niche for hunters looking to run a stove in the backcountry.
Can't remember if it was Patrick or one of his employees, but years ago (15 or so?) when I purchased my first tipi from Kifaru, they told me buying one without the stove would mean missing out on one of the tipi's major benefits.

tstelzer

FNG
For me it be a kifaru pack i bought an ran last year for elk hunting. Ill pry get some backlash on this but i could not have been more dissapointed in it. I came home and ordered an Exo pack ; havent used it for elk yet but from testing it ,it feels a lot better.
Packs are like boots. You have to find one that fits you. Although the pack might not have been setup properly for you. I was having issues with my legs falling asleep. I got with Aron and he told me I needed a larger belt.