Overrated Gear

Just me being an condescending a$$ hole:

If you know your way around an animal and how to locate the joints, you shouldn’t have to put torque on any knife. No matter the size of animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeh, I always find it interesting when people talk about using a knife to 'pop' joints or torque things. Maybe I'm lucky in that I dress out a huge number of animals every year so I'm familiar with a lot of anatomy, but I could use almost any knife (within reason) and be confident doing a good job of gutting/skinning/deboning an animal in the field or at home. At no point have I ever snapped (or come close to snapping or bending) a knife because I've been using it to torque or pry something.

Boots.... Meindl, Oboz, Merell, Keen, Lowa, North Face. Boots from $150-$300. They blew out, lost waterproofing, or otherwise severely degraded all within one years use (2 for the Meindl). I spent so much money on REIs high end boots it was rediculous. Finally found Crispis, on year 6 with the same pair.

Uncompahgre. I listened to one particular hunting podcaster, who works for a pack company, a few years ago describe it as a "furnace". Ya, not even close. It was cold as shit and heavy. I realized then that most of the podcasts are ran by dudes that have relatively little hunting experience, but they can no doubt sell shit.

Redneck09

FNG
Gaiters for most backcountry use. I mean unless you have bridges or stop to change into a complete water crossing setup (ridiculous in my area) every time you cross a creek. I use them in the winter but every other time of year they just keep my legs and feet wet.

And as if I haven’t rocked the boat enough with that one I will say waterproof footwear for any trip above freezing temperatures. Unless you are on well groomed trails or never have to hike hard or cross a creek. The only time I have ever gotten trench foot is with waterproof boots.

I switched to non waterproof boots and my feet have never been happier. No trench foot, smell less, and I just walk through rivers in them so it makes life way easier. I wear goretex boots for dry cold snow only.

Redneck09

FNG
Taiga out of Vancouver Canada makes strong ones with buckles that are easily replaced.

Might be your boot but also I have broken a few straps on rocky ground (mountain slopes and faces). Most likely would be better off not wearing gaiters for the majority of your hike/hunt anyway.
I got a pair of these OR gaiters and I used them on a backpack bear hunt this year, broke both buckles in the first 3 days. Pretty disappointed

KnuckleChild

Lil-Rokslider
Taiga out of Vancouver Canada makes strong ones with buckles that are easily replaced.

Might be your boot but also I have broken a few straps on rocky ground (mountain slopes and faces). Most likely would be better off not wearing gaiters for the majority of your hike/hunt anyway.
It was for sure smashing buckles on rocks the whole hike in and out. I’ve been hunting in Salomon boots and I liked the gaiters just to keep from junk getting hung up in the laces. I was using some of the short kenetrek gaiters for that but the straps kept coming loose and gave me more grief than it was worth.
Got some schnee’s beartooth’s in the Memorial Day sale that are taller, should be able to avoid the gaiters if not in snow.

I’m with you on the waterproof boots, in the summer at least. No membrane breathes better than mesh.

I agree with the Vortex sentiment. Thing is, they don't actually make most of the stuff they sell... and this is what I try to get through to people - if they're just rebranding an item, and they're offering a no-fault warranty on said item, they have to be making a shitload of money on each one they sell otherwise it wouldn't be in business with all the shit they warranty. With that said, I'm sure the Japanese stuff they sell isn't bad as its likely made by LOW - but still overpriced because of said warranty.

It’s very breathable, I will give it that
After you mentioned pinholes, I'm not surprised :ROFLMAO:

I'll ruffle some feathers here....TOYOTA.
Agreed. If you talk to the stans every other truck falls apart as soon as it leaves the lot. What they don't realize is that most people who buy vehicles don't have much trouble with them. Add in the fact that most people don't bother writing a positive review and now you have a pretty negative picture painted.

Special bars and powders that have magical nutrients
Just like hunting clothing. A couple brands came along, took something another industry has been doing for decades, slapped their name on it, made it a hunting brand, and upped the price significantly. Now every hunting yuppie has gotta have their "MTNOPS" suppositories. Do you even shit, bro?

Gaiters for most backcountry use. I mean unless you have bridges or stop to change into a complete water crossing setup (ridiculous in my area) every time you cross a creek. I use them in the winter but every other time of year they just keep my legs and feet wet.
The area where I go for early bear season(August) is filled with hitchhikers. The first year I didn't bother with gaiters and that was a mistake. Otherwise, I agree with you.

I will say I bit the bullet and bought two pairs of Kuiu pants for this season - not because they said Kuiu on them, but because of the hip vents. I looked my ass off for a non-hunting brand that offered the same thing and came up empty handed.

Brent21

FNG
Completely agree with you. Anything anointed by the names Kuiu, Sitka, Eberlestok, Mystery Ranch, Swarovski, Browning, Kimber, Blazer, Weatherby, Tikka (etc, etc, etc) are totally overrated and certainly notworth the exaggerated cost.
What does Tikka have that has an exaggerated cost? There are some Olin your list that I would certainly agree with but I don’t think Tikka belongs in your list. JMO

Just wondering how one of the best scopes in the Leupold line sucks? Curious to see the reasoning here.
All the stories about how Leupold replaced their failed scopes with a new one is enough to turn me into a Burris and Nikon (I know they're discontinued but I sure do like their 'nocs and scopes) consumer.
I try to buy stuff that doesn't have the replacement under warranty built into the cost.

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
All the stories about how Leupold replaced their failed scopes with a new one is enough to turn me into a Burris and Nikon (I know they're discontinued but I sure do like their 'nocs and scopes) consumer.
I try to buy stuff that doesn't have the replacement under warranty built into the cost.
Many companies do that. I’ve read the old Leupold stories and I can confidently say they’re one of the best options because I personally use them (showing my bias, I know). I used to work for a pretty good size Outdoor goods retailer. We carried Leupold and Vortex primarily, and sold a lot of both. I am 100% honest when I say I never had a Leupold walk back into the store. Can’t say the same for Vortex, at all. Leupold is also made in the USA as far as their scopes are concerned. Glass quality certainly beats Vortex, Burris, Nikon, etc. across the same price point and matches the high end stuff like Nightforce. NF does have slightly better turrets imo but the Leupold ones are still completely reliable in my experience.

Many companies do that. I’ve read the old Leupold stories and I can confidently say they’re one of the best options because I personally use them (showing my bias, I know). I used to work for a pretty good size Outdoor goods retailer. We carried Leupold and Vortex primarily, and sold a lot of both. I am 100% honest when I say I never had a Leupold walk back into the store. Can’t say the same for Vortex, at all. Leupold is also made in the USA as far as their scopes are concerned. Glass quality certainly beats Vortex, Burris, Nikon, etc. across the same price point and matches the high end stuff like Nightforce. NF does have slightly better turrets imo but the Leupold ones are still completely reliable in my experience.
Leupold glass quality most definitely does not beat Burris and Nikon at the same price point.
My first 'good' riflescope was a comparison between a Burris Fullfield II and a Leupy VX-1 and it wasn't even close.
Same for binoculars....Leupold isn't even in the conversation when it comes to Beta and Alpha glass.
This is exactly how most Leupold conversations go....
Good luck with that stuff.

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
Leupold glass quality most definitely does not beat Burris and Nikon at the same price point.
My first 'good' riflescope was a comparison between a Burris Fullfield II and a Leupy VX-1 and it wasn't even close.
Same for binoculars....Leupold isn't even in the conversation when it comes to Beta and Alpha glass.
This is exactly how most Leupold conversations go....
Good luck with that stuff.
Go pick up a VX3-HD and tell me it matches whatever Burris and Nikon are selling for around $6-700. Hell, even a VX-Freedom will lap whatever you put in front of it for under $400. Also, let me know if it’s made in the US by a staple company in the industry. I used to have Nikon everything. I switched to Leupold and will never look back.

Go pick up a VX3-HD and tell me it matches whatever Burris and Nikon are selling for around $6-700. Hell, even a VX-Freedom will lap whatever you put in front of it for under $400. Also, let me know if it’s made in the US by a staple company in the industry. I used to have Nikon everything. I switched to Leupold and will never look back.
I just bought a Burris Veracity FFP 3-15 after doing the research.
I just bought Sig Zulu 7 'nocs after doing the research.
The Leupold KoolAid is as strong as the Toyota Koolaid.
Have fun with your new replacement scope after your Leupy fails at a critical moment.

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a Burris Veracity FFP 3-15 after doing the research.
I just bought Sig Zulu 7 'nocs after doing the research.
The Leupold KoolAid is as strong as the Toyota Koolaid.
Have fun with your new replacement scope after your Leupy fails at a critical moment.
To each their own. Hope they work great for you, just not a believer in those companies and their optics. I’d argue that the old Leupold stories outweigh their new reputation.