Overrated Gear

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
Based on what metrics? What use?

Based on what metrics?

How does “made in USA” translate to “one of the best scope lines on the market”?
It’s made with high grade aerospace aluminum sourced from within the US. All the Leupold scopes are quite durable and reliable. It is also lightweight compared to other similar scopes. Turret construction is strong and reliable, zero stops work well. That has been proven by professional and recreational users.

Glass has good clarity, allows in high amounts of light. Limited chromatic abberation, and most importantly it doesn’t get shitty to look through at higher magnifications.

If you don’t think US manufacturing is better than overseas, I don’t know how to help you there. Of course it’s not always the case, but I’m spending my money here before I give it to a company who builds optics for pennies on the dollar then peddles them via marketing but touts themselves as a U.S. based company.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
It’s made with high grade aerospace aluminum sourced from within the US. All the Leupold scopes are quite durable and reliable.

All 20 or so that I’ve used, not one made it more than a couple hundred rounds before losing zero. Nothing about them has been durable or reliable. No doubt the best Leupold varibles ever made, however…

It is also lightweight compared to other similar scopes. Turret construction is strong and reliable, zero stops work well. That has been proven by professional and recreational users.

How many Mark 5’s have you personally used for more than a few hundred rounds hard? Hard, as in scraped up, scratched.. used.

Glass has good clarity, allows in high amounts of light. Limited chromatic abberation, and most importantly it doesn’t get shitty to look through at higher magnifications.

And about every other $800+ scope does the same.

If you don’t think US manufacturing is better than overseas, I don’t know how to help you there. Of course it’s not always the case, but I’m spending my money here before I give it to a company who builds optics for pennies on the dollar then peddles them via marketing but touts themselves as a U.S. based company.

There’s nothing about US manufacturing that in and of itself is better than overseas manufacturing in lots of lines. Clothing, optics, rifles, vehicles, etc.

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
All 20 or so that I’ve used, not one made it more than a couple hundred rounds before losing zero. Nothing about them has been durable or reliable. No doubt the best Leupold varibles ever made, however…

How many Mark 5’s have you personally used for more than a few hundred rounds hard? Hard, as in scraped up, scratched.. used.

And about every other $800+ scope does the same.

There’s nothing about US manufacturing that in and of itself is better than overseas manufacturing in lots of lines. Clothing, optics, rifles, vehicles, etc.
If you’ve used 20 plus of any optic and none of them have last more than a couple hundred rounds for you- either you’re mounting them to a horse drawn cannon or you can’t properly mount and maintain a scope. I don’t care if it’s a Vortex Crossfire.

As for my personal use of a Mark 5, I’ve used maybe one that fits the description you’re looking for. It was mounted on a friend’s Bergara HMR that he is financially able to use as a truck gun. It still runs great.

I personally have two VX5s that have seen some heavy punishment. One is on an 18” AR I built that is my main varminting rifle. Rides around in the truck uncased. It’s seen the dust, rocks, dirt, and plants of the SW NM desert many times and has 500 rounds or so on it. Runs fine.

My second VX5 sits on a Proof Research Elevation 6.5 CM. Only 200 rounds on it or so. It’s been bushwhacked with on three hunts now. One fall sticks out in my mind where I had my rifle in my left hand going down a slope. My feet slid out, sending my rifle into the dirt and a few rocks. All my weight landed on my left hand which was just forward of the action. So the side focus turret, elevation turret and left side of the gun took the brunt of it. Scratched and marred my action, barrel, and scope a bit. Shot 1000 yards with it later that afternoon in a quick zero check. It’s perfectly fine.

So I guess it’s going to upset you even more when I say I believe in all of Leupold’s products, so long as we’re comparing them to what you should expect at that price point.

Bump79

WKR
Gaiters for most backcountry use. I mean unless you have bridges or stop to change into a complete water crossing setup (ridiculous in my area) every time you cross a creek. I use them in the winter but every other time of year they just keep my legs and feet wet.

And as if I haven’t rocked the boat enough with that one I will say waterproof footwear for any trip above freezing temperatures. Unless you are on well groomed trails or never have to hike hard or cross a creek. The only time I have ever gotten trench foot is with waterproof boots.

I switched to non waterproof boots and my feet have never been happier. No trench foot, smell less, and I just walk through rivers in them so it makes life way easier. I wear goretex boots for dry cold snow only.
Great point! I have been beating this drum for awhile. Everyone is convinced they need GTX boots. If it's dry (like the west is a majority of the time) then why are we making ourselves miserable. I'd love to see some of these light mountaineering boots without the liner and use a polypropylene (doesn't absorb water) construction with a wicking interior. That would be the bomb.

Bump79

WKR
My biggest disappointment was the Canis Chamois fleece top and bottom. Pretty disappointed in the quality, durability is atrocious and the zip off bottoms have a big seam right on the waist that just digs in. The material does breathe well but it is a very small % merino and offers little warmth at all. Less durable, less breathable, less warm than a Kuiu Peloton 97 for more weight. Add in a very very slow dry time (all nylon and merino) makes it a less than ideal active peice. I got it because I expected it to be durable (nylon) and I could beat it up more but that is not the case.

They clearly didn't do enough testing and rushed it to market then advertised it like crazy on social media. To top it off, they wouldn't post my review stating the issue. Pretty unethical for a direct to customer model. It's not a terrible peice but it's definitely not worth the money. I've heard good things about their other gear but I won't be supporting them.

If you’ve used 20 plus of any optic and none of them have last more than a couple hundred rounds for you- either you’re mounting them to a horse drawn cannon or you can’t properly mount and maintain a scope. I don’t care if it’s a Vortex Crossfire.

As for my personal use of a Mark 5, I’ve used maybe one that fits the description you’re looking for. It was mounted on a friend’s Bergara HMR that he is financially able to use as a truck gun. It still runs great.

I personally have two VX5s that have seen some heavy punishment. One is on an 18” AR I built that is my main varminting rifle. Rides around in the truck uncased. It’s seen the dust, rocks, dirt, and plants of the SW NM desert many times and has 500 rounds or so on it. Runs fine.

My second VX5 sits on a Proof Research Elevation 6.5 CM. Only 200 rounds on it or so. It’s been bushwhacked with on three hunts now. One fall sticks out in my mind where I had my rifle in my left hand going down a slope. My feet slid out, sending my rifle into the dirt and a few rocks. All my weight landed on my left hand which was just forward of the action. So the side focus turret, elevation turret and left side of the gun took the brunt of it. Scratched and marred my action, barrel, and scope a bit. Shot 1000 yards with it later that afternoon in a quick zero check. It’s perfectly fine.

So I guess it’s going to upset you even more when I say I believe in all of Leupold’s products, so long as we’re comparing them to what you should expect at that price point.
Do yourself a favor and google “formidulosus + scope + test”. Pretty sure you won’t upset him. You may actually be quite enlightened. The dude has literally saved this community a lot of time and money by testing scopes in a way that a majority of us wouldn’t have the stones or funds to do otherwise.

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
Do yourself a favor and google “formidulosus + scope + test”. Pretty sure you won’t upset him. You may actually be quite enlightened. The dude has literally saved this community a lot of time and money by testing scopes in a way that a majority of us wouldn’t have the stones or funds to do otherwise.
I’m not opposed to be proven wrong, it’s just that personal experience tells me otherwise. I will look it up for sure and try to learn.

SouthPaw

WKR
The bait was thrown, and then got gobbled up. You could see it coming...brutal.

Are you planning to post the results from drop testing the Mark5 in the scope testing forum?

Last edited:

RonEgg

FNG
Rocky boots. Any style at any price point. I have had the soles just “rot” off of two pair. Thinking your soles are clogged with mud, you shuffle your feet and the rubber disappears.

For those saying Vortex is overrated, what binos would you rec in the same price range and the Razor HD?

Let’s face it, we have all been sucked into the hype surrounding a product, only to be disappointed about performance in the field. Nonetheless, failures in performance, function, and durability can become a big issue fast in our pursuit, and they are good to know about. Especially in an environment full of paid promotion.

What overhyped gear has disappointed you or failed on you? What was the shortcoming or failure? How could the product be improved upon? Have you found a better option?

This isn’t meant to be a negative thread, but rather a place to bring to light the flaws in over-hyped products, in hopes of making them better or glorifying superior options. I realize that a lot of this stuff is personal preference, so let’s try not spend time bickering back and forth on who is right or wrong, offer constructive advice on a fix or alternative option or move along.

Every type of synthetic fabric clothing I've ever bought.
Sweat box.