Oversized stirrups

I lease horses every season and my only gripe has been with finding the correct stirrups. Would one of you please point me in the right direction for some appropriate oversized stirrups to accommodate heavy/insulated mountain boots?
Thanks in advance

jmez

WKR
No. Google the biggest I could find was 3.5. May look for a wide bottom longer stirrup. Any saddle makers close to you? Call them and ask. Could also find a farrier or machinist, get a set made to fit your boots.

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
Have these on 2 saddles. They work well with regular hunting boots (Meindl Alaska Hunters). It is never cold enough here for heavily insulated boots, so I would not know about those. I would definitely recommend tapaderos on your stirrups. They are way nicer if you end up riding through a lot of brush.

Marble

WKR
I'm aware of the trailmax, but they are only 3" wide. I was hoping for larger
I've been using these for 10 plus years and I wear a 15 with big insulated boots. Every pair I have they fit.

They come with a regular nut on them. Change it out to a nylon nut and they'll last forever.

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a 15w and had an issue with some boots getting stuck in stirrups. Got thee and haven’t had an issue with any boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I lease horses every season and my only gripe has been with finding the correct stirrups. Would one of you please point me in the right direction for some appropriate oversized stirrups to accommodate heavy/insulated mountain boots?
Thanks in advance
Try a set of rawhide covered round 1" oxbows. I ride with a set all of the time and I love them. They may look a little intimidating at first because of the round tread and the narrowness of them but are great after you try them.
the narrow tread makes you ride in more correct form because you won't be "standing" in your stirrups.

rayporter

WKR
everyone has their opinion so , not to just be contrary, i dont think oxbows are good for backcountry use.

i used to use them to compete because you could keep your feet in them when a horse was running, stopping and turning. breaking colts i wanted a wide heavy stirrup that i could cut loose of if necessary. for back country use wide tread and wide width makes for more comfort in big shoes. big shoes and oxbows are not what i would want anytime because it is hard to get your foot out of them. just getting off requires you to stop and shake your foot to release the oxbow. and besides the one inch wide stirrup makes for a pinched foot after a few hours and is quite uncomfortable for me.

obviously some have a different opinion.

You're right everybody has their opinion, and the oxbows are not for everybody. The ones I have are nice and wide diameter wise so my feet don't usually get caught when dismounting, even with airbob soles on my Danners. To me the pinching means that I'm riding with too much downward pressure on my feet, hence my comment about "standing" in the saddle. But like opinions everybody has a different style and feel to their ride in the saddle.

mcseal2

WKR
A friend is the Ag teacher at a nearby high school. They have an aluminum welder and he and his students made me custom angled stirrups that fit my winter boots. The angled ones are easier on my knees riding all the time. Dad had knee replacements last year and I'm trying to avoid that as long as possible. If you know exactly what you want PM me and I can get you his cell number. I think they use the money to help with their judging trips, school budgets are tight and the extra money helps.

I personally hate riding in a lace-up hunting boot. I have hung up a Muck boot in a stirrup while a horse started leaving and was able to slip my foot out as I hopped along behind. I've had horses fall on ice and have always been able to get my foot out before my leg ended up under them. I try to always ride in a riding sole boot. Warm weather it's a slip on cowboy boot. Colder weather it's a Kennetrek with a zipper up the front. I can get those boots out of a stirrup fast. If I ever hang a foot up in the Kennetrek, my hope is the zipper will blow out far easier than laces would. I'll put my hunting boots in a trashbag in my pack rather than wear them if that is a reasonable option. If I'm ever fortunate enough to go on a horseback hunt somewhere like BC I'll have to just ride in the lace ups, but if I can avoid it I will.

Last edited:

Blueticker1

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the oxbow camp too, but to be honest I haven't been on a horse in 6 or so years either. Prior to that I pretty much lived on em, ran cows, hunted lions, bear, deer and elk, broke em for side money, broke em for fun I wouldn't even dare to guess how many hours, days, years I've spent on em. I've had custom saddles with custom stirrups, custom stirrups with tapaderos and my favorite have always been the good ol brass oxbows.