Overspined,how much is too much?

Leaflet

FNG
Yet another spine thread.

Basically the question is the same as the title;how much is too much when it comes to being overspined?

Let’s say a 340 spine would do,what will happen if I keep everything the same,except switching to a 250 spine?

OR Archer

WKR
Nothing. For a hunting setup I don’t think you can be overspined. I personally run a 280 cut to 27” which is way stiff for my bow. It bare shafts and broadhead tunes awesome. Also gives me the option of adding additional tip weight if I so desire without having to change shafts.

Noklok

FNG
I just tuned 260s on 59#. 28” draw. Tuned easy. Shot great. Shot against 330s and I thought the 260s were actually more forgiving . Drop away rest.

It takes a lot to get there, but my experience has been arrows that are extremely stiff paper tune easily (bare shaft and fletched) but are less forgiving to form errors.

I have seen arrow flight improve by going to weaker arrows (same shaft, only longer).

Noklok

FNG
It takes a lot to get there, but my experience has been arrows that are extremely stiff paper tune easily (bare shaft and fletched) but are less forgiving to form errors.

I have seen arrow flight improve by going to weaker arrows (same shaft, only longer).
This is what I expected with my 260 Hexx because I experience less forgiveness from my largest indoor arrows. In my case I was eventually convinced on 3d courses that the 260 shot easier than my 330. But I do think this is a valid concern and should be tested. I’m not sure that there isn’t a role reversal with broadheads on although.

I agree. Broadheads seem to require less work on a stiffer arrow.

There really are no absolutes. Some of it in the end is trial and error. Other factors can come into play like arrow weight rests location, string materials and generally what the bow likes. It’s worth a shot though if you have the time (and money) to tinker a bit.

I experimented with my indoor set ups. I wanted to use Black Eagle PSE 27's but they didn't offer a 400 spine. Using the PS26's I could shoot a 400 spine. In the 27's they only go to a 350 spine. So on the PS27's, I would load the front and shoot a longer shaft. Then I decided to try and cut them down and go to my regular tip weight set up and regular shaft length. I found they grouped fine with the 26's, and when form was good, I hit as many 10's. But my X count went down.

In using BH's I find form issues highlight POI variances more than spine. Many always want to blame spine, tuning, vane choice, etc. While indeed these can be issues, it's still usually a form issue that gets told on.

OP
L

Leaflet

FNG
I am shooting a Vertix 60lbs @28,5» now.

Hopefully that will be 70-75 next year.

Planning on using 200 grain fbbh.

Arrow length will end up around 30» I think as I don´t want the broadhead behind my hand.

3 fletch Aae Max stealth helical.

I was hoping to buy arrows now that I can still use as I up the poundage,but if I have to change along the way,so be it.

Beendare

WKR
I've shot over spined hunting arrows for over 20 years in a centershot compound and they tune and shoot great in multiple bows.

Back when my eyesight was much better and I could really shoot competitively.....I tested lighter spine arrows against one spine size stiffer.....no difference in accuracy/groups with FP's....but the stiffer spine arrows grouped and tuned BH's much better.

My take on the whole spine size thing....the charts are designed to give you the lightest arrow/ best trajectory that will work. I've come to realize that a bit heavier arrow works better for hunting purposes....thus making those charts obsolete.

I haven't tested against 2 spine sizes stiff....so I couldn't comment on that....and of course shooting Stickbows is a whole different animal....you have to get the spine perfect on those to get the right flex around the riser.

______

I am shooting a Vertix 60lbs @28,5» now.

Hopefully that will be 70-75 next year.

Planning on using 200 grain fbbh.

Arrow length will end up around 30» I think as I don´t want the broadhead behind my hand.

3 fletch Aae Max stealth helical.

I was hoping to buy arrows now that I can still use as I up the poundage,but if I have to change along the way,so be it.

I'd look for a 250 or 260 spine. Run them long for now, as you increase your draw weight you can cut them back. Might run them 32" for now, going to be slow but should tune fine.

I'm running a 250 spine with 60 insert and 125 head on a vxr @ 28.5 and 75#. 28" actual arrow length.

You could maybe get by with a 300 spine, especially if you aren't set on getting to 75#.

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In theory being overspined could make the arrow less forgiving to imperfections in your bow setup or form. Experts at Easton have told me this is more of a concern with world class target archers and not hunting setups in general. In practice, I have found that going one spine stiffer than the calculated optimal spine has given me equal or better results.

I set up a bow this week with a stubborn nock low tear. Tried a lighter spine and immediately cleaned it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk