Overthinking Footwear?

I'll be doing a hunt in unit 25 late September this year. I have a pair of Crispi Wild Rocks GTX I plan to use as my main boot with gaiters and am looking at Chota Tundra Hippies with Simms G3 boots for any water crossing. A few people have told me that the Chota's won't suffice up there and I should look at waders. Being that it's my first AK hunt I really don't know what to expect. Being at the mercy of the migration I can't say for sure what the terrain will be other than the inevitable tussocks.

Am I looking too far into this or will this setup be enough to get me by? I know it'll get cold and the Simms boots may freeze but I'd prefer ankle support over cold toes any day.

Voyageur

WKR
Every area is different so I always get references of past hunters from my pilots and ask them (pilot and references) about footwear, fuel availability, expected temps, etc.

Slugz

WKR
No I don't think you are overthinking. I have a 2021 caribou tundra hunt and a 2023 moose hunt that is a lake drop off, hike with the gear a little to a river, float down a little, set camp, hunt then float out.

Caribou I'm taking Crispi Highland Pros and hip boots.
Moose I'm taking Simms or Frogg Tog chest waders with G3 boots.

From what I've seen on this forum, people extremely overthink everything about hunting in Alaska.

Just call your pilot and ask if there's any reason you need waders.

I followed my pilot's advice in 2019 and brought my Kennetrek mountain extreme 400's, a pair of muck boots and a set of waders for crossings. He basically told me that depending on where we were gonna get dropped all 3 could get used. I tried to wear my kennetreks but they proved not to be worthy imo. It was Muck boots all day every day with the occasional waders to cross the river. My only issue was the lack of ankle support and on my next trip I will look to find a muck boot style with some lacing or improvise with something else to give a little ankle support. The 4.5 mile packout with close to 100 lbs on my back tru the tussocks SUCKED bad! Tore my meniscus in my knee.
PS. this was in the southern Brooks range

From what I've seen on this forum, people extremely overthink everything about hunting in Alaska.

Just call your pilot and ask if there's any reason you need waders.
bingo. if your wading boots are froze up in the morning and you have water near by heat up some water and pour it in your wading boots. better then struggling to get your frozen boots on.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Most people who hunt GMU25 get dropped on or near a river channel. That country is deceivingly moist and the muskeg/tussock fields can be a MF. If you're strategic in that area and camp near caribou travel ways (fresh prints), major "away-from-camp" pursuits are not only rare but also unnecessary.

Because of the random boggy sedge in that region, and hunting it for 25 years, I've grown fond of waders and solid ankle-high wading boots with vibram soles. The water-boil trick is the key in mid to late september. Deep frosts will freeze all non-rubber boots, and any leather or synthetic boot will be frozen regardless of how they served you when warm and dry. The wading boots thaw instantly with boiling water and you're off to hunt comfortably.

It only takes one time to learn the reality of a cold snap coupled with wet gear.

mcseal2

WKR
I over thought it, but I also asked my transporter. I was fighting plantar fasciitis and have always had flexible ankles that benefit from support. I got by great with Crispi Hiland Pro boots. My pilot recommended Wiggys waders and we used those several times as well. The combo was perfect. I used waders with Simms G3 boots on the moose hunt but did not need them for my caribou hunt.

I’ve been once, next time may be totally different. Take the advice of the more experienced guys over mine. I overthought this part because I had foot and ankle weaknesses going in.