Overthinking!

Hey Guys,
Decided to make a video tackling some tips that I use when I get myself into a big hole of overthinking. Overthinking has lead me to some really good things, but has also destroyed my archery shot. Let me know what you guys do to!

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
Idk guys, you wanted feedback, here’s some. I’ll agree overthinking could be a problem. I don’t do that or teach that. Everything about archery to me is about form. Steps to shooting. Body responses.
It’s easy if someone is watching you. If they are a good coach they prob notice something that’ll help instantly.
Ok but say I was shooting myself as I typically do. I don’t start this train of continual thoughts, concerns, etc. I go back to basics if I started shooting slightly off. I don’t change anything but recheck it. Talk myself through the steps. I actually don’t worry about the poi but concentrate on steps, form.
The arrow goes where needed than. I def agree with a mind break if ever someone is having a bad day or as the video showed you just needed to clear mind. One of the worst things we can do is practice bad habits.
You mentioned not having perfect form and just being consistent. I’ll agree consistency is all that matters for sure. Don’t take me wrong as your accomplishments are fantastic but if someone has good form there’s no change, no hard thinking, just a simple recheck. It’s a big part of why I’m so form regimented.
A fellow that teaches w me is state champ. He does not have perfect form for sure but he def is consistent. It’ll for sure work but imo it can be more complicated and there’s more things to contradict each other if not done properly.
Two of the girls we’ve taught have won the states and they’ve got good form.
Target panic imo is the body’s reaction to confusion that too much thinking and worry brings with it and improper responses. That can be taught out with string bow use and reprogramming the brain/response

OP
Trey Arentz
Idk guys, you wanted feedback, here’s some. I’ll agree overthinking could be a problem. I don’t do that or teach that. Everything about archery to me is about form. Steps to shooting. Body responses.
It’s easy if someone is watching you. If they are a good coach they prob notice something that’ll help instantly.
Ok but say I was shooting myself as I typically do. I don’t start this train of continual thoughts, concerns, etc. I go back to basics if I started shooting slightly off. I don’t change anything but recheck it. Talk myself through the steps. I actually don’t worry about the poi but concentrate on steps, form.
The arrow goes where needed than. I def agree with a mind break if ever someone is having a bad day or as the video showed you just needed to clear mind. One of the worst things we can do is practice bad habits.
You mentioned not having perfect form and just being consistent. I’ll agree consistency is all that matters for sure. Don’t take me wrong as your accomplishments are fantastic but if someone has good form there’s no change, no hard thinking, just a simple recheck. It’s a big part of why I’m so form regimented.
A fellow that teaches w me is state champ. He does not have perfect form for sure but he def is consistent. It’ll for sure work but imo it can be more complicated and there’s more things to contradict each other if not done properly.
Two of the girls we’ve taught have won the states and they’ve got good form.
Target panic imo is the body’s reaction to confusion that too much thinking and worry brings with it and improper responses. That can be taught out with string bow use and reprogramming the brain/response
I definitely agree with most of this. Thats why in the video I tried to explain that this is more of a middle of the road problem for archers, or should be. Establishing the correct process and learning how to do them is definitely first. Also, as for the target panic, I feel like when people are first learning, and they overload their brain, that has a lot to do with it. Like you said, learn each part of the process individually, and take ample time on each of them. Allow the ones that can become natural to stay that way, and be conscious of the major ones each shot. Great response!

OP
Trey Arentz
Working on the different components of your shot is not overthinking.
Working on all of them at once is…..

Absolutely! Especially when just starting out. Or even when a more experience archer is trying to get better. Learning and mastering one at a time I have found to be the most helpful.

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
I definitely agree with most of this. Thats why in the video I tried to explain that this is more of a middle of the road problem for archers, or should be. Establishing the correct process and learning how to do them is definitely first. Also, as for the target panic, I feel like when people are first learning, and they overload their brain, that has a lot to do with it. Like you said, learn each part of the process individually, and take ample time on each of them. Allow the ones that can become natural to stay that way, and be conscious of the major ones each shot. Great response!
I agree and don’t think I was by any means discounting what you said. Just showing another side. I always say, uncle Joe wasn’t an instructor, if he taught us we gotta fix things often right? Not towards you but just to get guys thinking.
If form is good there’s actually little thinking.
We start off with string bows. Simply showing basic stance, alignment, draw, back tension, release etc but someone can actually focus on form that way. No arrow is introduced until the first steps are automatic. The minute an arrow is introduced they start looking we’re they hit even if no actual target is exposed. Like walking. Once we got it we just do it.
I try n progress my students along the same lines.
Most folks don’t start w an instructor but those that do are way ahead most times. Only an attempt at feedback and other ideas