Overview of my first DIY/OTC Colorado archery elk hunt

Disco14

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for sharing- very informative and congrats on the awesome bull!

My brother and I are heading out in September on our first DIY public trip!

OP
Mi_fiveo

Mi_fiveo

WKR
The otc experience was exactly what the seasoned veterans said it would be. Very hard to find an elk, and lots of hunting pressure. I feel lucky to have been successful. My hunting partner for the trip was pretty salty after I punched my tag and he had not seen an elk. In fact he never seen an elk for the entire 14 days. The biggest mistake we made was not moving to a different location and keep searching for elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deadeye11

FNG
Thanks for sharing! Starting to plan my 1st trip for next season and will take all the advice I can get!

7Bartman

WKR
Awesome write up and congrats on your bull. That's a lot of investment for a first time elk hunt. I'll be on my fourth year and I'm still piecing some gear together. Definitely agree with the trekking poles, they're a game changer for me (an East Coast Flatlander :)). Did you take the meat back by plane or did you drive out from MI?

OFFHNTN

WKR
Congrats on a great OTC bull and beating the odds!
Great review, and you will love the Crispi's. ;)

Kcam

FNG
Did you hunt one place and stick with it or did you move around the unit looking at different areas? Trying to figure out how long people hunt a area before moving on. Two elk in that many days I'm just not sure I have the patience.

sndmn11

WKR
The otc experience was exactly what the seasoned veterans said it would be. Very hard to find an elk, and lots of hunting pressure. I feel lucky to have been successful. My hunting partner for the trip was pretty salty after I punched my tag and he had not seen an elk. In fact he never seen an elk for the entire 14 days. The biggest mistake we made was not moving to a different location and keep searching for elk.

I am curious how many other hunters you saw outside of their camps?

11boo

WKR
Tight work OP. I live on the W slope of Colorado, and I’m blessed with decent elk hunting a couple hours away. I gave up on Rifle seasons, and my last 4 years I have been on the mountain at least 21 days of each archery season.

I used to put an elk in the freezer most every year with a rifle or handgun, but bow is a whole different challenge. I like it, and hope this will be my year to once again put an elk in the freezer.

Good write up too.