Overweight dude with VERY limited workout time HELP!

freshta

WKR
Background: Understand hard training mentality...Wrestled for 12 years, grunt paratrooper for 4, marathon runner when I was in my 30's .

Dilemma: I want to hunt out west this year for mulies. I'm now 49 years old. About 40 lbs overweight. My work schedule is ridiculous. I'm an industrial controls and automation electrical leader and work 12 hr shifts (sometimes up to 16 hours during breakdowns). I rotate between days one week and nights the following week. In addition to my normal schedule which is hard enough, and due to a lack of manpower, Once per month, every month, I work 8 days straight for a total of 96 hours before getting 3 days off to rest. I do this once a month and have for the last year due to open tech positions. My time is EXTREMELY limited.

Question: Anyone else out there have the same issue as me? If so, what types of training are you doing? I've looked into a shitload of different training regimens, but they are way too long in duration, etc. Can someone offer some advice?

Thanks

Capra

Lil-Rokslider
I own a company that does DXA Scans for health and wellness, we see thousands of clients a year.

YOUR diet is far more important than your exercize program especially for anyone over the age of 35.

Go Keto and thank me later. If you do it right you will loose 40 lbs of Fat over the next 12 months. By simply loosing the weight you will feel better and be a lot closer to your goal.

Check out: Carb Manager app, Keto Clarity book, Ben Greenfield

You may also have sleep problems, In that case check out Mathew Walker

Azone

WKR
My work schedule has also been good at disrupting what I would call a normal life as well, while not as crappy as your schedule it is still rough at times.
I'm sorta in the same boat as you right now with the dropping weight issue. Last year my dad and my favorite uncle died within three months of each other so I kinda went off the deep end with the drinking and not giving shit about anything for a while. Way too much beer and just generally eating horrible food, processed crap and lots of fast food. Maybe I was in a bit of depression, who knows never went to a dr. about it, just dealt with it and moved forward. But at the beginning of the year I was completely fed up with what I had become (former three sport highschool athlete) from where I use to be.
So I went on Keto, 29 pounds down in six weeks.

I may now have one beer on a Sunday type thing, or if I choose to drink it's a vodka and club soda with lemon or something. May have a glass wine also from time to time. No longer drinking for the wrong reasons.

Stay the hell away from sugars and processed crap. That shit is write up there with cigarettes in my opinion, its horrible for you.

I also have no more than two meals a day now, I may have a salad for lunch but usually just do a big Keto friendly dinner.

No breads, tortillas or cookies or stuff like that.

Its amazing what cleaning up your diet and eating what I would consider "real food" does for your appetite, it really suppresses it.

I've read alot of people on this forum who describe losing weight as a lifestyle change, they could not be more right. Those of us who did pack on the lbs are living a unhealthy life whether we realize it or not. My goal is to be back to 240 by November for my Selway adventure, with Keto and clean eating I believe I will make it there easily. Good luck man.

Last edited:

*zap*

WKR
I agree with the people who say that diet is very important to loose weight but you most likely will also need to improve your fitness level. For me, sustainability was also a major concern when I switched my nutritional intake. I gradually (over 9 months) changed to all natural foods for almost all my diet, so that is foods with one ingredient on the label and fish, grass fed beef, chicken, eggs and good vegetables/fruits. Over a year after the start of this it is easily sustainable for me. I stick with a balanced diet of carbs, good fats and protein while targeting the macro amounts toward what I am doing, have done and plan to do. Lost 30# @63 years of age, put back on 7# in 12 weeks recently while prioritizing gaining strength and I should be back in the low 180's (218# @ start of nutritional change on 2/1/2019) by mid April as I am now switching my program to maintaining strength and increasing aerobic capacity. 6' tall.
You need to find time to exercise also.....no excuses and make sure that what you do on that front is also sustainable. One week a month off from training may not be all that bad if you progressively push harder the rest of the time and plan a good program that addresses that issue. Right now I am doing a two week rest period but that will be, by far, the longest I have taken off in the last 15 months.

Good luck.

Last edited:

FLAK

WKR
I once lost 23lbs eating nothing but salads and fish and joggin 10-12 miles/wk.
What a miserable existence. Whatever you do you have to be able to do it from
now on. I couldn't keep doing it. Felt like crap, hurt all over, weak, pissed off for
2 years. Good luck finding the sweet spot.

*zap*

WKR
If you choose keto I would get, learn to use and use keto urine strips to monitor that issue.

A few pointers that really helped me drop weight:

1) Portion control.
2) Don't go back for seconds.
3) Don't eat after 6-7p. Water only.
4) Exercise when you can. Some mornings I only get in a 17-18 minute bike ride before work. Do what you can!
4) Exercise won't compensate for a poor diet.

In addition to Diet, and the guys above are spot-on. There are two things I consider important for preparing physically.
First is to start doing something to get your heart rate up, jog, bicycle, swim, whatever.
The other is legs, from ankles to calves to thighs. Exercise those well.

Bulldawg

WKR
d8414f9f4df5499f080cfd616f42d755.jpg

I own a company that does DXA Scans for health and wellness, we see thousands of clients a year.

YOUR diet is far more important than your exercize program especially for anyone over the age of 35.

Go Keto and thank me later. If you do it right you will loose 40 lbs of Fat over the next 12 months. By simply loosing the weight you will feel better and be a lot closer to your goal.

Check out: Carb Manager app, Keto Clarity book, Ben Greenfield

You may also have sleep problems, In that case check out Mathew Walker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kilboars

WKR
Fast for a day or two or three if you can to let your stomach shrink and tell your body/stomach/flesh that you are in charge.
Skip breakfasts then eat simple lunch and dinner. Do not let your stomach stretch back out. Quit alcohol for a month or two.

Simple fast and effect workout.

Try the push-up first then the legs using just body squats.

Kilboars

WKR
After your shower do a cold rinse. Make you feel alive and shows your body who is boss.

Our flesh is weak don't listen to it. You tell your body when and what you'll eat.

MThuntr

WKR
Don't complicate things with special diets...It's going to be a lifestyle change that you need not some gimmick where you eat only salads and drink a shake or eat only protein or eat only carbs.

Calories in must be less than calories out. Calculate your base metabolic rate (BMR) and subtract 500 calories. Get in as much exercise as possible (do a little weight training and some cardio). Just do what you can with your time.

Honestly owning a scale and stepping on it every morning helps. If you need to cheat, then cheat but don't overdo it.