Overweight dude with VERY limited workout time HELP!

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I disagree with Keto or any other fad regime.

Watch this when you want to start to understand what your body really needs and can do without fads (hunting specific info).

If you need to drop weight, you have to curb your total calories consumed each day and force your body to burn body fat and not food calories. To do this, don't eat more than 1500 cals per day for the next month. Exercise as much as you can and dont exceed 1500 cals each day, period.

Come back to this thread and share how your body composition has changed with that minimal adjustment. Don't cheat and forget to count your calories.

Of that 1500 cals, balance your macronutrient profile to match your exercise level each day. If you work out for an hour a day, eat your quick energy carbs of the day 30 minutes before your workout. Eat protein and fat (nuts, meat, cheese, salmon) 1-2 hours after your workout. Never eat past 8 pm. Drink a gallon of water each day. Balance your profile to supply 70-90 gm protein daily (1 gm protein/kg body weight), and try to make your carb sources come from veggies and wholegrains. dont worry about your fats since all you need at first will be sufficiently included in other foodstuffs. 1500 calories aint much food, so try to eat smaller portions more frequently to spread out your energy levels. Example = 150-200 cals every 2 hours after breakfast and eat smaller main meals. You're also training your stomach muscle and acid production to expect less food volume. After a month you'll not have a desire to over eat with each meal. Smaller more frequent fuel sources gives your body the needed time to convert the total calorie supply into triglycerides so it can be used by muscles. When we over eat a meal, that extra food that isn't utilized is stored in your fat cells! Small frequent meals is your secret to success!!

Our hunting studies show remarkable proof that when you move more and eat less than you burn each day, bodies begin to utilize stored fat as fuel more efficiently. And when we consume only 50% of what we burn plus add movement and workload, the fuel your body uses is stored energy supplemented by a little of what we feed it. You'll see results!

I'd encourage not to attempt the Keto diet until you've gotten used to eating less food volume and total calories each day. Besides, 95% of "keto" dieters never actually reach ketosis. This is fact not opinion. Their success is a result of healthier eating habits and fewer simple carbs.

LB

Some good ideas...but not sure I would focus on Keto. Most people think they are in ketosis but are not. Its a lot of very specific work to achieve that and I would instead keep it simple. I would start with drinking a crapload of water every day. Water will flush a ton of garbage out of your system, your body will acclimate, your metabolism will adjust, and you will have far more energy. Carry water with you everywhere you go. You will piss a ton in your first couple of weeks but your body will adjust. Minimum of one gallon of water a day.

Additionally, use gravity. Do 100 burpees and 200 air squats a day. It literally takes 20 seconds to do 5. Do them whenever you can wherever you can. You'll look like an idiot but who cares. Your body will adjust quickly and you'll be able to do them faster as the weeks go by...then you can do more. 40lbs will come off quick...especially if you have an athletic background like you are describing. Just make the time. Set goals and make the time...even if its for a couple seconds of burpees in front of your co-workers.

If you want some experienced/professional help on both training and diet, feel free to PM me. This help isn't free though.......just being upfront.

As @*zap* said above, losing weight is only half of it. Losing 40 pounds due to diet alone wont help you much in terms of endurance on your upcoming venture out west. Lots of out of shape skinny guys still get their ass kicked in by the mountain.

Mack96x

FNG
Background: Understand hard training mentality...Wrestled for 12 years, grunt paratrooper for 4, marathon runner when I was in my 30's .

Dilemma: I want to hunt out west this year for mulies. I'm now 49 years old. About 40 lbs overweight. My work schedule is ridiculous. I'm an industrial controls and automation electrical leader and work 12 hr shifts (sometimes up to 16 hours during breakdowns). I rotate between days one week and nights the following week. In addition to my normal schedule which is hard enough, and due to a lack of manpower, Once per month, every month, I work 8 days straight for a total of 96 hours before getting 3 days off to rest. I do this once a month and have for the last year due to open tech positions. My time is EXTREMELY limited.

Question: Anyone else out there have the same issue as me? If so, what types of training are you doing? I've looked into a shitload of different training regimens, but they are way too long in duration, etc. Can someone offer some advice?

Thanks

I know how hard it is working 12 hour shifts. I work in refineries but you gotta just get in what you can if it’s only 30 min then do that in cardio. Once you start doing that for a while it will get to the point where you feel like you have to go to the gym.

Good luck,
Mack

I'm on the road 5-7 days per week. Having reliable access to any type of gym equipment is a non-starter for me.

Do focus on what you eat and drink. Get rid of the soda and eliminate/reduce any cream and sugar in coffee. Easier said than done but every calorie counts (within reason).

From a physical activity perspective, do what you can with what you have. You can always find somewhere to jog/run/walk. If there are stairs around, use them. For strength training, just use your body. Push ups, sit ups, stats, etc all work.

bsnedeker

WKR
I lost over 80 pounds doing nothing but eating less...no exercise at all. I was eating about 800-1000 calories a day and was dropping weight like crazy...I was probably a bit overzealous.

Use an app and monitor every calorie that goes in your body and keep it in the 1000-1200 calories a day range and you will lose weight.

Remember, eat to live, don't live to eat!

I know how hard it is working 12 hour shifts. I work in refineries but you gotta just get in what you can if it’s only 30 min then do that in cardio. Once you start doing that for a while it will get to the point where you feel like you have to go to the gym.

Good luck,
Mack
I work 12 hour shifts in a refinery also. I still put in 1.5-2 hours a day at the gym everyday. I also own my own business that I work at on my days off. Its all about priorities.......period. Looking good naked is very much a priority for me.

I work some pretty similar hours with night shifts, evenings, etc. Most weeks my goal is to do a set of pushups every morning (24,20,16 or something like that). And run maybe 2 miles every couple days. I watch my diet and when I gain 3-4 pounds I count calories so that I lose it the next week and don’t continue to get fatter. Before hunting season I try to ramp up pretty hard with the cardio. But you have to start somewhere just doing the above is 1000x better than doing nothing. Discipline breeds discipline. Start with the pushups (or something similar every morning that takes 2-3 min) and you’ll find it easier to slowly add other stuff.

Do what you gotta do, start small, don’t listen too much to the macho man chest thumpers.

fatlander

WKR
Move more than you eat. Find ways to move more and eat less.

Intermittent fasting and forcing myself out of bed every morning two hours earlier than I used to get up in order to head to the gym helps me achieve that. The strategy is simple, the commitment is tough.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
Maybe consult a professional who can assess your particular situation, and make recommendations based on education, training, and experience?

Professionals don't "guess" and recommend "what worked for me".

You've received some good, and some awful (even dangerous) advice on this thread...

Maverick1

WKR
The first few posters had some good points. Nutrition is one of the keys -> ok, the biggest one! The saying "you can't out-exercise a bad 'diet'" is very accurate. Think of the "nutrition" that your body needs, and not a "diet" - which is a failure for most. To the OP - good luck!

4ester

WKR
Diet is #1. Count Calories and stick to it. Stay away from sugars and heavily processed foods. Eat as clean as you can.

If you don’t have much workout time, I’d recommend HIIT exercises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frazier

FNG
Eat less, get a smart watch and make a goal of 10000 steps a day. Walk around while at work or walk in place.

I didn't read through all the responses, just read OP but I'm an RN and here is my 2 cents.

If you have other career options you sound like you could use less stress (worse for the heart than the weight) and more free time. Come up with a number for how much you value healthy living for the next 20-30 years. Will you earn more than that continuing with this unhealthy lifestyle?

I work a full time job,own another small business, have three kids under the age of five and a wife that works nights. Since the first of the year I have lost 30+ pounds following this equation with little to no exercise:

Calories in < calories out = weight loss

Better foods will help you feel better but are not necessary (protein helps you feel fuller longer etc). The first bit you will be hungry but you get used to it. Cheat days (once a week) are important to keep your metabolism up, don’t binge just eat the calories needed for your BMR at your current weight. Best of luck! Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
I will take a stab and say with your schedule, your diet is pretty bad. A healthy diet will make a huge difference in both your weight and energy level. Meat, vegetables, fruits, nuts. Stay away from boxes of packages. Add in some basics; push ups, lunges, squats, stretches, etc, just body weight and you'll see results. Stick with it and don't expect to drop like you could have when younger. Good luck man!

Capra

Lil-Rokslider
I did not read every post but circling back to my original advice. If you go Keto then you MUST use Blood or Breath testers. Urine is only measuring the excreted Ketones and is not accurate.

Big Picture this is going to be work If you are not willing to put in the work, educate yourself and suffer a bit. It wont work.

AND you are not cut out to hunt in the west either.

Lelder

Lil-Rokslider
I get to work in the morning and walk these 2 flights of stairs which is 21 steps 10x and I do it in under ten minutes and after a few weeks I really noticed it getting easier. But I 100% agree that diet is most important

Rich M

WKR
Background: Understand hard training mentality...Wrestled for 12 years, grunt paratrooper for 4, marathon runner when I was in my 30's .

Dilemma: I want to hunt out west this year for mulies. I'm now 49 years old. About 40 lbs overweight. My work schedule is ridiculous. I'm an industrial controls and automation electrical leader and work 12 hr shifts (sometimes up to 16 hours during breakdowns). I rotate between days one week and nights the following week. In addition to my normal schedule which is hard enough, and due to a lack of manpower, Once per month, every month, I work 8 days straight for a total of 96 hours before getting 3 days off to rest. I do this once a month and have for the last year due to open tech positions. My time is EXTREMELY limited.

Question: Anyone else out there have the same issue as me? If so, what types of training are you doing? I've looked into a shitload of different training regimens, but they are way too long in duration, etc. Can someone offer some advice?

Thanks

I'm sure you will get great stuff on here - I didn't read any further than your post & that's what I'm answering.

What you eat is why you are overweight. Do something like the "whole 30 diet" and don't cheat or drink booze. You'll drop the weight easily. Exercise has NOTHING to do with weight, it is 100% diet. I sit behind a desk and can lose wight at will but I don't want to, like my cookies.

If you aren't climbing mountains, then you don't need to be in mountain climbing condition. All you have to do is walk.

I went last year for my 50th - walked 2-4 miles (30 to 60 minutes) in the mornings before work 3 days a week for 6 or so weeks before I went. Wanted to do more but like you time was limited. Did a couple longer walks but mostly 2 to 4 miles.

When you hunt, you aren't running up or down the hills, just walking and if you glass along the way, you aren't even really walking any distance. We covered up to about 8 miles a day - snuck around in canyons and such - walk to edge & glass, go in, walk around, go to the next. Got a buck on day 6 and 2 of us 50-yr olds couldn't drag it - LOL! Went and got truck - took deer to diff area to skin & quarter.

If you plan on hauling a pack - wear one on your walks. I wore my hunting boots to make sure they were limbered up (been 2 yrs since previous hunt). If you start months in advance (now), you'll be better and it will be easier.

IMO, that's all you need to do - eat right to lose the weight and do some walking 3 days a week.

If you are planning to climb mountains and do that kind of hunting - you will need to do more. But if not, why kill yourself any further - you seem to be trying to do that with all the work anyway. I'm behind a desk but 12 hr days and weekends are old friends.

Hope you get out there and have a great time!

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord