Overwhelmed on shelters

Wasn't planning on adding a shelter this year it looks like our elk hunt will be a 4 day pack in spike camp.

So, a shelter is now on the list but the budget doesn't allow for a 1k shelter.

$5-600 is probably my upper limit.

Whatever I get I will get at least a partial floor as I am not sure I will want to be floorless in the late fall with potential snow on the ground.

If I buy new it needs to have a stove jack so I can add a stove later.

I would like to be able to sleep 3 plus stove just in case both boys want to come hunting as they grow up

There is a Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2 for sale locally at $300 with a floor. It doesn't have the stove jack and is probably a bit small, but I think I could get it for $250. It won't fit all of us but could buy some time for a more thorough decision.

VI Am outdoors has a tipi that will run me about 600 with the floor. I would have a rectangle cut in the floor for a future stove. 9.5' square. Shelter is 26oz. Floor 10 oz I believe. Add pole and stakes. Lightest option.

Luxe has the mega horn tipi which will cost me about $400 with a floor or inner tent. 13' x 11' . About 8 lbs all in but I could split some weight with a buddy as we could sleep 2.

Thoughts on those 3 options? Look elsewhere?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

zloomis

Lil-Rokslider
Out of curiosity, how much backpack camping experience do you have/what types of shelters have you used in the past? Also what type of bag/quilt do you use? Down/synthetic, what temp rating etc.? Just wondering to narrow down some shelter options

OP
silverbullet555
None. Going with some friends. Don't have a bag yet.

But, the tent situation is solved with a seek outside 4 person tipi with everything I would need. Stakes, pole, half nest, etc.

Now on to a bag.

JigStick

WKR
If you like the 4 person TiPi then you should definitely look at the Cimmarron too. the floor layout may be better for your needs

OP
silverbullet555
In my opinion, you'll be very tight in the Seek Outside 4 man with a stove, gear and 2 people.
I hope not, but it's possible. I got a pretty good deal I think so I should be able to recoup much of what I paid in the event I need to upgrade size when the boys get older.
If you like the 4 person TiPi then you should definitely look at the Cimmarron too. the floor layout may be better for your needs
Will do though I'm kind of bound to my choice. Tent was bought of the forums and is paid for. I know it will meet my needs for this year and until my boys decide to go with me on backpack adventures.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I hope not, but it's possible. I got a pretty good deal I think so I should be able to recoup much of what I paid in the event I need to upgrade size when the boys get older. Will do though I'm kind of bound to my choice. Tent was bought of the forums and is paid for. I know it will meet my needs for this year and until my boys decide to go with me on backpack adventures.

Yeah, you pretty much divide the stated number of people in two if you're storing gear inside and running a stove. 3 guys in there will be extremely tight with a stove, gear will most likely be outside.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
silverbullet555
Yeah, you pretty much divide the stated number of people in two if you're storing gear inside and running a stove. 3 guys in there will be extremely tight with a stove, gear will most likely be outside.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I highly doubt I will ever do 3, even without a stove. Our oldest son doesn't appear to have the desire to tough it out at this point. Our youngest is all in.

If I had to bet, our oldest will dabble in hunting. Do some day trips and maybe basecamp hunt out of a wall tent. All that is fine and I hope he does it. I think the youngest is going to be all in all the time. We will see if my hunches pan out. If at some point I need to go up to a 6 person to fit the 3 of us, I'll be thrilled to make that jump because of what it means.

Enjoy the SO-4 tipi. I sold my 4 in favor of a 6, for the standing room. But the 4 is a really solid shelter, lots of perimeter stake points. It has to one of the most storm-worthy tipis.

A pic of the 4-man. This is the older style with 10 panels, and 20 stake loops. I believe the current production is 8 panels and 16 stake loops on the perimeter.

ytQuKzA.jpg