Ozcut Hurricane Initial Thoughts.

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
Last week I finally received my six 150 grain Ozcut Hurricanes in the mail. The cutting diameter is a 1 1/16th single bevel three blade and from Ozcut claims this will open up the wound channel more. All the podcasts I have listened to they never mentioned about the added bone busting ability of the single bevel baldes but did mention these penetrate just as well as their regular double bevel three blade. A spiral wound channel with the same penetration traits a the 3 blade single bevel should make for a great broad head. My thoughts are this would make a wonderful broadhead for hunting local whitetails where I live.

Initials Impressions:

• Solid one piece broadhead
  • Good quality control on the machining of the broadhead
  • Spins true
  • Sharpness of the broadhead was very subpar especially since they stated on Instagram that these would be “razor sharp” out of the package. I was able to run my thumb over the bevel edge with decent pressure and not get cut. When I have had other single bevels that were razor sharp like RMS cutthroats, VanDiemans, and Grizzlystiks, you cannot do that without getting cut. I could be understanding the concept of the 3 blade single bevel but I would assume they would be able to cut skin or paper with ease if they are advertised as being “razor sharp.”
  • In regards to sharpening them, from what I have tried. You can’t run them across a flat stone like a VPA or a Montec and think they will become sharp. They just don’t actually sharpen the bevel edge. I did send Ozcut and message on Instagram and they stated which is another reason why I sated I could be understanding the broadhead wrong but I did feel them on the actual cutting edge and they were still dull.
  • “A small diamond file and simply push it along with sharpened bevel is the easiest way. Keep in mind that the edge is on an angle and cuts in almost a circular motion in comparison to straight. So don’t be feeling the edge on 90 degrees like a standard head”
  • The only concerns I would have is because it is a three blade single bevel the blade are going to be thinner than a 2 blade single bevel. If the blades hit hard bone will they be able to retain their edge or will they have bad edge chatter because of the fact it’s a thinner blade with an unsupported edge.
I have asked for them to make a “How to video” because I think it’s could be a user error but I have tried just about every angle, flat stone, paper wheel and I just can’t get them sharp due to the two bevels on the broadhead. (Picture below). Overall if I can get them sharp it will be the head I use for whitetails this year. I just need to get them sharp and without them being sharp they just become a paper weight to me.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    164.1 KB · Views: 103
  • capture 3.jpg
    capture 3.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 102

GB1977

FNG
I recently got a pack of 100 grain Hurricanes in to try out. I too was disappointed in the lack of sharpness. I was however able to get them really sharp with ease once I put them in my vise and recut the bevel. I removed their factory secondary bevel on the edge making one continuous bevel (like all 2 blade single bevel heads I've ever messed with). I was then able to place them on an arrow and work the edge on a flat stone, progressively going from a coarse to a finer stone. Cleaned the burr on the back side off with a round ceramic moon stick and they will shave hair or paper with ease. Shot them into my foam target several times and edge retention was good, touch up on the moon stick and shaving sharp again. With the single bevel off set blades these things REALLY rotate through the target. Can not wait to put one through a deer. 15660950374671944753219608077208.jpg

OP
B

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
I recently got a pack of 100 grain Hurricanes in to try out. I too was disappointed in the lack of sharpness. I was however able to get them really sharp with ease once I put them in my vise and recut the bevel. I removed their factory secondary bevel on the edge making one continuous bevel (like all 2 blade single bevel heads I've ever messed with). I was then able to place them on an arrow and work the edge on a flat stone, progressively going from a coarse to a finer stone. Cleaned the burr on the back side off with a round ceramic moon stick and they will shave hair or paper with ease. Shot them into my foam target several times and edge retention was good, touch up on the moon stick and shaving sharp again. With the single bevel off set blades these things REALLY rotate through the target. Can not wait to put one through a deer. View attachment 116545
This might be asking too much but could you please make a video of how you did this?

GB1977

FNG
This might be asking too much but could you please make a video of how you did this?
I would but I have already done all 3 that I have. Just placed in my vise with the blade down between 2 small boards to hold in place with the bevel towards me. Color the edge black with a sharpie and used a file to cut one continuous bevel ( as seen in picture above). Once all three sides were recut, place on an arrow to hold in my hand like sharpening a knife ( I have a 6" arrow drop with an insert that I use for my handle). Start with a coarse diamond stone ( re blacken the edge with a marker), hold the bevel flat on the stone and begin until the black (marker) of each side is removed. Move to a fine diamond stone and repeat. Move to a fine ceramic stone and repeat. Knock the burr off the back side with a ceramic moon stick (backside of the edge is almost flat against the moon stick). Go back to the fine ceramic stone for a few strokes on the bevel side. Lightly hit the backside again with the moon stick and they are NASTY SHARP! It sounds like a lot but it's really not that bad. Resharpening after getting the bevel cut like above is a breeze. Oh and I use some kind of oil on all my stones, speeds up the process. When I get another batch I will post a video, if no one beats me to it? Hope this helps.

Richard

FNG
I recently shot a doe with a hurricane. I initially thought the Broadhead was a bit small but it left a good blood trail. It ran about 100 yards but I’ll be shooting these at more deer.0E504625-F685-4850-9941-96F93B12E7F9.jpeg

Gobbler36

WKR
looking at these heads but its unfortunate they dont come sharp, ive got other things to do than buy expensive heads only to have to sharpen them out of the package

Im quite interested. Im an Aussie and hadn't even heard about these yet. The 2 blade ozcuts don't come sharp but i've been very impressed with the performance. I've got one head and has been through a few animals and is still going strong. Wanting to try some 3 blades out.

Do you think these are a better option than VPA's?

I'm shooting a stickbow and do like single bevel heads.

Thanks

How did the ozcut
I recently shot a doe with a hurricane. I initially thought the Broadhead was a bit small but it left a good blood trail. It ran about 100 yards but I’ll be shooting these at more deer.View attachment 125822
How did the hurricane broadhead hold up and also how was the blood trails with the animals u shot... thanks benjy

Richard

FNG
The blood trail was pretty easy to follow. I could walk the blood trail at night using nothing more than a cell phone light but I have only killed one animal with that head. It held up pretty well but it’s kind of hard to sharpen.

I have some 125 gr heads coming in this week. I can report back when I get them and see if the sharpness out of the box has improved as they said it has.

Ok, so, 10 points for the bad ass packaging on these new OZCut 125gr BHs, but -5 points for the less than razor sharp edges on all 9 bevels AND…how do I get these things out of the plastic frame they came in???

Attachments

• 0905C254-0E1E-45C6-869B-92163F7BCE93.jpeg
    0905C254-0E1E-45C6-869B-92163F7BCE93.jpeg
    221.2 KB · Views: 11
  • ECD3F43D-DCFE-4D9E-BB91-B55A2F7C380F.jpeg
    ECD3F43D-DCFE-4D9E-BB91-B55A2F7C380F.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 11