Ozonics Gimmick or No?

I would certainly not call Ozonics a gimmick. I have sold indoor air quality products. It is amazing what pos and neg ionization, cold plasma, ozone, and other technologies can do to eliminate the aftereffect of a source of smell.

I've never used an ozone generator, and there is a good reason for that. I have good friends who swear it is a game changer when hunting from a blind. Turn the ozone generator on and then your scent never leaves the enclosed blind.

There are serious health concerns if you decide to use an ozone generator. Here is one link but you can easily search to find many many more:
https://molekule.science/ozone-generators/

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
they do work, but it's not like it's going to avoid a deer detecting you everytime. However, if your a serious hunter you want every odd in your favor. i researched this couple year ago a lot and read on them, then i just made 1 myself, think i have about $75 in mine. There are videos on youtube that show how to make 1 so me and a buddy brainstormed ideas and put mine together and i like it. i have tested it several times w/does and hunt bait piles when i knew the wind would blow right over my bait pile and hunt it to test that. My findings i was a little in disbelief but over and over again, i would watch deer feed down wind, i would watch them for a bit and then turn it off. Yes, everytime within less than a minute of shut off they would throw their nose up, stomp around and leave like you'd expect, so they do work. I am a scent fanatic, i built a lil ozone closet and run a 500-600 mg/h generator in it with my clothes and then when i leave the house i throw them in a scent bag and dont put my clothes on til i'm in the field leaving my rig. If you use an ozone machine in the field long enough you will see several reactions to it, some deer completely ignore the smell, some lock up when they hit it and look and smell a min or 2 then go on about their biz, some lock up and dont like it and leave but dont snort and run off just unsure, but i can't think of an instance where i had 1 hit my scent cone and run off. The only thing i dont like about it is carrying them into the field and setting them up on a tree, i made a littlle quick connect bracket but its still annoying so i dont always use it. i do believe if you use it long enough tho it would be the diff in a big buck make or break, even if he steps in the scent cone your gonna get a shot before he spooks IMO. Hope this helps... theres a really good story about a police dog trained to track people and different things they tried to kill scent and hide from the dog under boxes, ozone won bigtime, worth a read.

Jruf that is outstanding research! I like closet idea. I am looking to help a buddy of mine put a machine in for entire house and just run a line of duct to a closed area for the same results.

I won't go into it on here but for anyone wanting to put ozone machines for the entire house just do the research before hand. The have been around for quite a while so there is a lot of stuff out there to find. If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me.

Using a generator outside, in my opinion the deer do not spook because they are used to the smell of ozone. I think it is fascinating.

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
rhinoblake, ya i just picked up a cheap portable closet off ebay like below so i can take it north with me also for whitetail, picked up a cheap ozone machine and just leave it sitting on the top of the closet and run the hose through the top of closet and zip tied the hose to the bar that holds your clothes hanger, drilled lil holes throughout hose as ozone naturally falls and bam, easy peasy and works great. Then if you want to move you just unplug hose from machine so the hose stays w/closet all the time. i found my lil cloest for like $15 just like the one in ebay link below, also put my boots in bottom and hang my gloves and hats wherever, it's a convenient setup that works flawless.....hope that helps someone!

OP
H

Hoytaholic

Lil-Rokslider
Jruff have you noticed any breakdown in your clothing? I have the scent crusher bag and I’m pretty convinced that the ozone made the elastic waistbands in a few pairs of base layers break down and now they no longer stretch... basically ran the ozone in the bag for 30 min, perhaps that was a little too long...

OP
H

Hoytaholic

Lil-Rokslider
I bought this ZeroTrace ion generator this year... used it a few times but nothing came by to really test it besides a few fox who walked around me without picking up any scent. Not sure how sensitive a Fox is to scent in comparison to whitetails...

https://www.wildgameinnovations.com/zerotrace

Brendan

WKR
Ozone does damage certain materials.

I've also read about people building their own from cheaper Ebay / Amazon parts for a $$$ savings and sort of have it on the back of my head for use in the tree stand if I can do it cheap.

Has anyone tried the pure ion by WGI?
I used the pure ion last season and was not very impressed with it. It really seemed to make no difference - I was winded several times using it in places where my scent was not directly blowing to the deer. This doesn't mean it doesn't work, but for me, I wasn't impressed.

I hear a lot about the bad health effects of breathing ozone. Does anyone have any proof that it's harmful when using it outdoors, specifically in a treestand (ground blind would be different)? I would think that the massive amount of fresh air would make it difficult to only breathe in the harmful ozone out of the generator...

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
Hoyt I haven’t noticed any breakdown but I don’t do my undergarments. Early season I have an old school coverall scent coverall that I wear over shorts and cutoff shirt or jeans and t shirt if it’s not really hot. Later in year it’s my coats n jacket and bib overalls. I’ve read it does break down certain materials but haven’t witnessed that yet and only clothing that has any elastic is my coverall and it’s in waist area and not an issue for me.

180 about your health, you shouldn’t be smelling the ozone, if u are the wind has switched and u need to redirect your machine. Guys these machines ain’t a cure all their just another tool to up your odds. Anybody whose set around a fire knows the wind switches or swirls a lot. I norm just run my machine in my closet for 15-20 mins and that should be plenty of time since it’s enclosed. Hope that helps

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
Ozone does damage certain materials.

I've also read about people building their own from cheaper Ebay / Amazon parts for a $$$ savings and sort of have it on the back of my head for use in the tree stand if I can do it cheap.

I had about 75 in mine, ozone is the cheap part it was around 5 bucks, it’s the lil RC batteries that are expensive at 20 bucks a piece, I used 2

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
heres mines.

Attachments

• D945286B-DD3C-4761-A5C0-AB44FCF0D2B7.jpeg
    D945286B-DD3C-4761-A5C0-AB44FCF0D2B7.jpeg
    366.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 21EC858F-E371-424B-A8A5-FB2363258F36.jpeg
    21EC858F-E371-424B-A8A5-FB2363258F36.jpeg
    244.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 9FCD5901-F3AC-4476-9D78-3E1D124112AC.jpeg
    9FCD5901-F3AC-4476-9D78-3E1D124112AC.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 37721E0C-FA99-4C9B-825F-655D2A70A8EC.jpeg
    37721E0C-FA99-4C9B-825F-655D2A70A8EC.jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 63C0FBEE-D9CF-4C83-9B69-03ABEE0F2695.jpeg
    63C0FBEE-D9CF-4C83-9B69-03ABEE0F2695.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 20

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry for all the replies I’m on phone and keep remembering things, but u guys that hunt tower stands or ground blinds I’d say they are gonna pretty much be fail proof cuz u place them on down wind side of blind and your wind channel is just different and reduced cuz the blind blocking the general wind that hits u outside. Me and wife had a doe come thru field crossing and had all windows open so wind flowing thru blind and I rem telling wife get ready I’m about to show u this machine work, we were on ridge top in 20 plus mph wind and she walked right down wind 8 steps and locked up, kept throwing her nose up and staring st blind and after minute or so fed on thru.... wife goes that’s unbelievable!! Lol

180splitg, you are heading down the correct path. The ozone is diluted outside. And you are correct, lot of research that shows the harmful effects indoors (whole house and commercial applications.)
I have heard and read many that share jruff’a experience in the stand.

slatebuilder

Lil-Rokslider
Having been hunting deer for 28 years I find it hard to believe you can fool their nose.

OP
H

Hoytaholic

Lil-Rokslider
I agree that we cannot truly fool their noses which is why hunting the wind is so important. I believe the scent elimination path is to attempt to mask what you can in an attempt for Bruiser to stick around for a few more seconds before he bolts... in hopes to get a shot off in those earned few seconds.

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
Mine is 2-300mg can’t rem exactly. I wanna say each battery last about 4 hours. Here’s purchases from eBay I did. U can get cheaper fans but I paid more for a much quieter fan

Attachments

• 267A4EED-D5C5-4BF7-AF45-6F90E9E1B065.png
    267A4EED-D5C5-4BF7-AF45-6F90E9E1B065.png
    245.3 KB · Views: 18
  • DAC3760F-A21D-4D89-82F6-F22CCC9D229C.png
    DAC3760F-A21D-4D89-82F6-F22CCC9D229C.png
    289.3 KB · Views: 18