P Dog Hunting in SD With A Thermal Scope

Ryan28

FNG
I am in the process of selecting either a thermal scope (N-Vision HALO 50 LR) or just go with N-Visions Atlas 50 binocular. This will be a 3rd rifle (this build will be a 204 Ruger) and I have an extra NF 3.5-15x56 scope I can mount on it. FWIW, my other 2 builds are 26".223's with the same scope mounted.

I love the portability of a thermal binocular but have to consider a thermal sight mounted on this new build. (Another 26" heavy varmint barrel - with the thermal, NOT very portable...) Does anyone have experience with a thermal scope shooting P Dogs out in South Dakota? I'd like to hear about it.

Sogan

FNG
I haven’t heard of it but that doesn’t mean it’s not done. Like the above poster said, do they stay in their hole at night to keep themselves safe from predators?

rayporter

WKR
they will sure disappear when dusk sets in if your shooting them.

and if your out in the daylight shooting and it gets real cloudy a bunch will go down, too.

WCB

WKR
Yeah for the most part they stay in their holes at night. I'm sure you could catch some slipping maybe but I would put ZERO effort into hunting them at night. Now hunting Coyotes, Fox, Badgers around p dog towns at night might work out.