P.O.W. bear

Kodiak

FNG
I hunted POW in 2015. Once we got our hides and skulls sealed we salted them and threw them in the freezer for about a half a day until our flight. We used fish boxed and checked meat hides and skulls as baggage on our flight out of KTN. I would advise agains shipping it to yourself as freight is often slower than baggage.

The hunt is a blast. You will have a great time.

I will be there in May-June. Sucks I didn't draw 2020 tag.

Really depends on the hunt type your're doing to provide any feedback. If you're near a town, seal hide, freeze and throw it on plane.

weaver

WKR
I'll be following this thread. Drew a spring 2020 tag. Debating if I want to a truck based hunt or rent a boat.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

OP
rayporter

rayporter

WKR
we will be land lubbers. though I always dreamed of the boat hunt.

how about the halibut fishing. did anyone get time to do any? or know any charters?

Kodiak

FNG
Halibut will depend on which side of the island you are on that time of year. There tend to be more on the west side in the spring but summer they move up into the chanels on the east side of the island. My favorite was the fresh crab.

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider
Rosie Roseland in Thorne Bay can take care of any sealing, fleshing, salting and/or shipping of your bear hide. He's a pretty good taxidermist too if you plan to do a rug.

We DIY it. Crabs, Halibut, Shrimp, etc. Fall hunts you can surely do a lot of salmon fishing. I'm not sure I would want to be stuck with just a truck in the spring. It's doable, but I'd get a skiff if possible.

Hughiam

FNG
Ive hunted POW three times for bears and once for deer. I wouldn't ship a frozen hide. As menitioned, Rosey in Thorne Bay can take care of you. I own a taxidermy business north of anchorage and had him flesh and salt my bear as it was easier than trying to fly out with it, my gear and the meat. Island air limits you on weight from Klawock to Ketchikan. The bear in my avatar came off POW. Hugh

Actually, If you can, fly over and then take the ferry back and you won't have to worry about weight. Or take the ferry to and from.

The couple trips I've done in the fall, the bugs aren't bad in September. You will have some "White Sox" around but by September they're pretty much gone unless it gets real warm. You could take a little head net just in case. Light, and now weight penalty.

Jdog

WKR
ive done spring bears on POW a few years ago. Used RDM Air Service--provided us with skiff etc. Took nice bears.

357magag

Lil-Rokslider
I drew the 2020 Spring POW hunt also.
Hunted BT deer in Fall 2015 with my friends they had Bear tags. Saw a thousand doe and 1 buck. Hunted alpine to muskeg. The locals at Thorne Bay are tight lipped as they come. One lady asked the I follow her out of town and down a logging road then she would give me hunting location tips. I did. She was. nervous acting and said they will think I am helping you. Gave a area. But no bucks there.

Contacted the author of a book about Spring POW Bear Hunting.
He advised I go late June for the best success rate. And gave some general info.
Plan on truck hunting though.

Will the big tide swing in the afternoon leave a man stranded if he goes up the streams to hunt bear?

ALSO I plan on taking a rifle and bow
HOW doable is bowhunting bear there in the Spring?

Bowhunting is all we do. Just depends on what you want to do. To bring both is a lot of gear, might as well just bring the rifle.

The tides won't affect the rivers unless you're accessing them from the mouth where the cricks meet the ocean or in other words, the tidal zones.

Randy Newberg has a good series on SE AK spring hunting. Pretty much what you can expect if you go remote. If you don't, you will have company.