P&Y Announces World Record Velvet Typical Sitka Blacktail

amassi

WKR
Listen up California

“...is obviously the result of sound, science-based game management...”
Californians continue to select opportunities over quality on questionnaires. Until that stops the game department has no reason to change their management objectives

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

MeatBuck

WKR
Californians continue to select opportunities over quality on questionnaires. Until that stops the game department has no reason to change their management objectives

What questionnaire is this?
As a Californian who has hunted 20 years I’ve never seen or heard of this.

amassi

WKR
What questionnaire is this?
As a Californian who has hunted 20 years I’ve never seen or heard of this.
Fish and game sends out hunting questionnaires to help shape their management plan and every time the majority of applicants reply that they prefer opportunity to hunt over quality. The last one was in 2015 so they'll likely send another out this year. They are random and dont go to all tag holders.

Given the prevalence of social media it shouldn't be too hard for CDA or some other group to propose and show support for a structure change with an emphasis on quality but as so far no one had taken that initiative.

MeatBuck

WKR
Fish and game sends out hunting questionnaires to help shape their management plan and every time the majority of applicants reply that they prefer opportunity to hunt over quality. The last one was in 2015 so they'll likely send another out this year. They are random and dont go to all tag holders.

Given the prevalence of social media it shouldn't be too hard for CDA or some other group to propose and show support for a structure change with an emphasis on quality but as so far no one had taken that initiative.

Have you heard about theblacktailproject.org?

Marble

WKR
Been hunting CA 32 and never have been asked questions as to what I would like for game management.

One of the main reasons it has gone to shit is because of how the game commission is structured. Up until the late 80s or maybe mid 90s, im unsure, the people who were on the game commission were "hook and bullet" type people who understood and cared about both quality and quantity of game. Now they are only political appointees and are environmentally based in their decisions. The "game" portion of DFG is just an unfortunate responsibility of the board.

They even changed their name to reflect it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Listen up California

“...is obviously the result of sound, science-based game management...”
Cali isn't going to listen, Oregon isn't either, and assume Washington is the same. AK is so vastly different than the rest of the west coast in that regard.... AK is a culture based on wild harvest.... none of the rest of us have been for a long time.

you guys are run over with lions, with ZERO management, that alone is a bad deal. we are getting that way, but at least i can go hunt them with my FoxPro.... a far cry from managing numbers, but it's made a difference in one place i have hunted them the most.

it's not an activity for the easily discouraged, and unfortunately it takes too much effort for people to really try, but at least we have a chance to try.

the Cali game management is terrible, and the same practices are working their way north, but poor wildlife management will not make it to AK, they still have a wild harvest culture.... probably because the weather is too bad to get run over by Californians 😆

i have worked up there a couple years, and it's an amazing place in many regards, their overall culture being one of them.

right now, Oregon feels like it's just giving up with the whole "simplification" process ODFW is going through currently

The hunter has arrowed a number of excellent critters! The Sitka is just one of many. Congratulations to Allen!

Interesting. I thought Bob Ameen had shot several larger than that in velvet. So if he stripped them, I guess that doesn't apply to current velvet entries? Same with Chuck Adams?

Interesting. I thought Bob Ameen had shot several larger than that in velvet. So if he stripped them, I guess that doesn't apply to current velvet entries? Same with Chuck Adams?

Bob's largest Sitka Blacktail is a hard-horned 110-1/8" buck out of the 65 total Sitka Blacktails he has entered in P&Y!!!! Undoubtably was larger in velvet. I do not know when he shot the buck.

Chuck's largest in P&Y is 108-4/8", also hard horned of the 36 total Sitka Blacktails he has entered

Bob has killed some big deer down south all velvet still so I’m sure they were stripped. Would be a thing to note, prior to being stripped were they scored in velvet? I guess it’s either or not both? Question for Roy.

OP
bohntr

bohntr

WKR
Not sure what you’re referring to. The link you attached shows a totally different category (Sitka Deer-hard antlered). Bob’s buck was stripped and measured, as the Club accepted velvet then, but they were not recognized for world record status in the velvet category......now they are.