P&Y Announces World’s Record Typical Velvet Mule Deer

bohntr

WKR
S.gif
663a9c04-d7e9-42ff-9ebf-77f51a15358c.png
S.gif
New World Record!​
Typical Velvet Mule Deer Topping the Charts as New World Record​
On Saturday, May 14th, Pope and Young convened a Special Panel of Judges in Ogden, UT for a potential World’s Record Typical Velvet Mule Deer. Bowdy Gardner’s Typical Velvet Mule Deer scored an incredible 218 2/8” and is now the largest bow-harvested Typical Velvet Mule Deer in North America. This amazing deer was taken and entered into the records program nearly 10 years ago and is now recognized as the new world’s record after the original score was upheld by a panel of measurers.​
f6debd24-0c2c-4133-b1e6-a0d7a83bde7e.jpg
Pictured: From Left to Right: Jason Rounsaville, Executive Director, Larry Streiff, Roy Grace, Records Chairman, Stan Zirbel, David Neilsen, and Tim Rozewski, Director of Records.​
“This is a tremendous mule deer that has been awaiting this moment since it was taken in Kane County, Utah in 2012. When Pope and Young changed their stance in 2021 and allowed velvet antlered animals to be eligible for world record status within their own respective categories, we were finally able to authenticate this buck”, stated Roy Grace, Pope and Young Club’s Records Chairman. “It also demonstrates how sportsmen’s dollars, coupled with oversight from the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources, can properly manage these incredible animals and provide opportunity for sportsmen to pursue them.”

This World Record Typical Velvet Mule Deer was originally entered into the 28th recording period which represented entries accepted into Pope and Young’s Records Program from January 1st, 2011, to December 31st, 2012. As previously stated, Pope and Young changed their policy in 2021, allowing velvet antlered species to be eligible for World’s Record status within their own velvet categories. As such, nearly ten (10) years later, this incredible buck is now crowned as the new velvet World’s Record.​
S.gif

Last edited:
That’s a great buck.

How much shrinkage has occurred in those 10 years? I’m sure at least an inch or two….

I hear for panel scores animals that happens a year or two after initial scoring there is a possible adjustment factor?

svivian

WKR
Why did it take 10 years to officially measure?
says it right in the first post...

“This is a tremendous mule deer that has been awaiting this moment since it was taken in Kane County, Utah in 2012. When Pope and Young changed their stance in 2021 and allowed velvet antlered animals to be eligible for world record status within their own respective categories, we were finally able to authenticate this buck”, stated Roy Grace, Pope and Young Club’s Records Chairman. “It also demonstrates how sportsmen’s dollars, coupled with oversight from the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources, can properly manage these incredible animals and provide opportunity for sportsmen to pursue them.”

This World Record Typical Velvet Mule Deer was originally entered into the 28th recording period which represented entries accepted into Pope and Young’s Records Program from January 1st, 2011, to December 31st, 2012. As previously stated, Pope and Young changed their policy in 2021, allowing velvet antlered species to be eligible for World’s Record status within their own velvet categories. As such, nearly ten (10) years later, this incredible buck is now crowned as the new velvet World’s Record.

It was officially entered and accepted in 2012. However, velvet entries at that time were not eligible for awards or world record status. That changed recently, and the Club was able to confirm the original measurement.
So that takes in the shrinkage factor over 10 years? I hear its sort of a secret formula and application?

OP
bohntr

bohntr

WKR
Secret formula? No. There is an anticipated and normal amount of shrinkage in all animals….more so, at times, with horned animals. This can be taken into consideration.

BBob

WKR
So that takes in the shrinkage factor over 10 years? I hear its sort of a secret formula and application?
They state they upheld the "original score" so I'm taking that literally until informed otherwise. :)

"This amazing deer was taken and entered into the records program nearly 10 years ago and is now recognized as the new world’s record after the original score was upheld by a panel of measurers."

Secret formula? No. There is an anticipated and normal amount of shrinkage in all animals….more so, at times, with horned animals. This can be taken into consideration.
I don’t suppose they would publish the “anticipated normal amount of shrinkage” per animal species?

Would be interesting to see what the actual measurements were this time around compared to the original in 2012.

Like @BBob said the original score was upheld by the panel, meaning the score he has wasn’t changed by the panel, so I’m assuming it didn’t shrink or how else could they uphold it?
It does shrink, try it your self on a 10 year old mount, especially velvet. Horned animals even more.

As mentioned there is an expected amount of shrinkage, so based on the new panel score it should be within a certain percentage of the original score. If it is, then they can assume that the original measurer scored it correctly and "uphold" the original score.

IdahoHntr

WKR
It does shrink, try it your self on a 10 year old mount, especially velvet. Horned animals even more.

As mentioned there is an expected amount of shrinkage, so based on the new panel score it should be within a certain percentage of the original score. If it is, then they can assume that the original measurer scored it correctly and "uphold" the original score.
I have. I’ve scored several of my dads 20+ year old mounts that score the exact same as when he killed them. I’ve seen bucks shrink too, but there definitely isn’t any science to it in my experience. Some shrink a bunch, some shrink a little, and I’ve seen a few that haven’t shrunk an inch.

I could see how a velvet buck might shrink more than a hard horned deer though. I don’t have any experience there. I’m just curious how you seem to know that it didn’t score the same? Inside info? All I see is them saying the score is confirmed