P & Y Score

Segan

FNG
I've decided to have one of my archery animals scored. My question is do all the official scores reflect one another or do you get guys that are more accurate and than others. If so how would I find out? I know that they are all "trained" off the same format but just wondered about differences. Maybe it doesn't matter much?

weaver

WKR
Unless its a wacky non-typical score shouldnt vary much between scorers.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
If they are a P & Y scorer, probably fairly good. The more animals you score the better you get. So you can ask the scorer how long he has been doing it or how many he has done. Or try and get two to score it together.

bowuntr

WKR
What RosinBag said... I've been an official measurer for the California Bowmen Hunters, P&Y and B&C for close to 20 years. There are rules to follow and if they are followed correctly, the difference between measurers scores should be very small, if any. Ed F

SDHNTR

WKR
Also an official measurer here... A measurer goes through a LONG 2-3 day course to become certified. He/she also has a very detailed manual that can be refered to in the case of nearly every imaginable horn or antler configuration. And, every two years, that measurer must take a test to re-certify. Lots of people say they can score game and know how to measure, but if the guy is an OFFICIAL P&Y measurer you can be assured it will be done right. And like bowuntr said, any differences would be minimal, if at all. In the case of pending record animals, it will also be scored by a committee, or panel, to ensure consistency.

Additionally, as a hunter, score shopping is frowned upon. A certified measurer is not really supposed to measure an animal that has already been scored by another P&Y measurer. Not saying you would, but forget about hauling your animal around to every measurer in your area to see who gives you the best score.