PA bear hunters?

semasko

FNG
I hunt a few states south of you for bear, we do very well calling. Vole squeaks, light rabbit in distress, and fawn in distress have all worked. It’s not an every time kinda deal, but we have killed more calling them than sitting around waiting. Another early season tactic we use is hiking ridges when the acorns are still heavy in the trees and listening/watching for feeding bears in the canopy.

I've always been curious about the success of this method. Do you generally set up in an area more specific to food or cover? I wanted to try this in a more open wooded area adjacent to a major rhododendron thicket. Do you call as often as other predator hunting?

I constantly check big trees in the later season, but more so for them coming in/out of a denning hole after I found out how often they favor trees to rocks as hibernacula on a study done in the Smokies. I try to concentrate on mature white oaks and beechs with big holes. I read that they spent considerably more time in forested wetlands (aka hemlock swamps) in the PA/MD area, which makes sense given the area I hunt most bears have come out of a hemlock swamp.