Pa Deep forest hunters

I haven’t been home in a long time but as I read more and more about the Lyme disease near the Allegheny National Forest going east all the way to wellsboro I’m wondering are the ticks that bad? Looks like north central PA gets smacked with Lyme.... I don’t remember as a kid ever getting many ticks

Rs3003

WKR
At our camp in McKean county south of Smethport they can be bad at times. We were just there this past weekend for trout fishing and a couple people found them on their clothes. I personal have never had a major issue with them. I use Sawyers spray.

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I have taken as many as 15 off of myself after one walk in the woods. They seem to be getting worse. I started using Sawyer spray last year but have not spent enough time in the woods yet to determine its effectiveness. Any time I'm in evergreens in the mountains, I have ticks on me.

PMcGee

WKR
I had a tick buried in my armpit last year and ended up with a rash. Took doxy for 30days. Went for a trail run this weekend had one in me at my waistline when I got home two more crawling on me. I’ve had several in me hunting up Tioga and Lycoming counties and more then I care to count from Schuylkill county.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
I’m from Warren County so the Allegheny were my normal grounds and growing up I just don’t remember getting them on me much

Hmr

Lil-Rokslider
I’m from Warren County so the Allegheny were my normal grounds and growing up I just don’t remember getting them on me much
20 yrs ago you never seen deer ticks here, maybe a dog tick few and between. These days, it’s infested with deer ticks. Many cases of Lyme in my general area of Schuylkill County.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
T
20 yrs ago you never seen deer ticks here, maybe a dog tick few and between. These days, it’s infested with deer ticks. Many cases of Lyme in my general area of Schuylkill County.

That’s crazy I wonder why that is

Clarence

WKR
Deer ticks are all over the state I believe. We check ourselves daily. Found one on my son's eyelid when he was 2 after playing in the yard. The good thing is they need to be attached 18-24 hours for the lyme pathogen to transmit. I know way too many people who have been affected, and if left untreated and gets bad. Just got in the habit of checking daily and using deet spray on my clothing. Wife gives me a hard time about deet, but when I remind her of some of the cases we have seen she gets it. Gota look hard for those little deer ticks, find them and get them off, and you will be ok. My .02

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Afhunter1

WKR
I’m not sure they have to be attached that long and also deet is way less effective than permethrin. Permethrin isn’t harmful to people at all.

Don’t listen to rumors. Go straight and read about Lyme on CDC’s website. Everyone in a tick infested state should know what to do and do it correctly. I enjoy hunting with my wife and kids and made it my priority to know and understand how to protect my family when out. We have had no issues.

Buy permethrin in 10% concentration at TSC for farm animals and dilute it down to make your own sawer’s.

NYNick147

FNG
I live on NY PA border and Ticks are crazy this year! I've heard more about LYME this year than in the past for sure.
Sawyers is the way to go on all hunting clothing!

Hmr

Lil-Rokslider
Just read an article yesterday that ranked PA #1 in the country for Lyme cases.

Another interesting thing I’ve noticed is that some deer I kill are riddled with ticks, while others I can barely find any on them. All are taken from the same property.

Walking Birds

Lil-Rokslider
I grew up a bit further north near Watertown NY, but I've been hearing it's really bad up there. My parent's boxer comes in with a couple every time they let her out, between that and the rash of rabies positive critters, lotta folks don't like being in the woods anymore

Trial153

WKR
Every year the ticks get worse. We have seen animals infested with them to point they were expiring

Some parts of the state are worse than others, but overall you should plan for them every place you go. In my experience it's the worst before the spring green up, but you can find them any time of year in the right places. Sometimes you can go for miles without finding one and then hit a patch of Laurel that's infested with them.

I'm in the mountains every weekend and I don't recall seeing one in around a month. FWIW I've been test for Lyme three times now with the countless times I've been bit over the years.

Nows the time to watch out for the Timber Rattlers!

Afhunter1

WKR
The accuracy and consistency of the Lyme disease test is terrible. Some Dr's swear its the holy grail and if you test negative you don't have it. Well that is totally wrong and you can be negative with it and you can be positive without it. Do your research, be prepared every time you go in the woods, and know more about it. With ticks and Lyme knowledge really is necessary.

One area I hunt I had 100 on me in a day archery hunting. When I'd see them crawling on my kids my skin would crawl. I couldn't stand taking them out and risking them getting it. I don't see hardly any anymore. I know how to keep them off and what to do. It's not hard just takes a little work. Your family is worth it.

Permethrin is cheap!

I’m in NE Ohio and they have slowly started creeping in on us the the East I hate em! Just in the last few years they’ve started to get noticeably worse.

I have definitely seen an increase of ticka in that area. I just coat my clothes in permethin (idk if that's how you spell it) and that helps.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk