PA elk

Has anyone hunted/been drawn for the PA elk hunt? Any zones better than other for a DIY hunt? About to apply for the third year in a row but am not planning on drawing with such low odds. I'm already going to MT but this would be a hell of a lot closer (within 6 hour drive). Just trying to see if anyone has had luck and what to expect as well as what zones to shoot for.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Been applying for 4 or 5 years.

A family member drew 6-8 years ago and killed a really good bull. I always apply for either sex any unit.

I see it as a chance to fill the freezer for a low price. I'd rather shoot a raghorn out west than one of these 360" PA bulls.

Quackshack

Lil-Rokslider
The odds are not in your favor. As a resident, I think of it as a donation to the Pa Game Commission. I dont personally know anyone who has ever drawn.

jm1607

WKR
Last time I looked many years ago I think the odds were like 1 in 30,000? I doubt it's gotten better since, probably just worse like everything else...

Sorry, not helpful to the OP

Look at the areas with a lot of state forest access, quehanna wild area, elk and moshannon state forest areas. Plenty of elk in all of the hunt zones though.

Eastcoasthunter94

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been putting in for 2 years no luck. It looks like there are only a couple zones with little public land. From the map zone 4 looks like one of them to avoid. But in all honesty I would take a PA elk tag in any zone since I’m only 6 hrs from there.

OP
TonySkyline
I just put in for antlered archery, either sex regular season, and late season. Going to get my son to start putting in next. Maybe if he starts now he will get drawn before I'm to old to go with him. Man I wish I knew about points, and western hunting when i was 15 years old! I would have been on so many cool hunts by now.

PMcGee

WKR
My buddy drew a cow tag a few years ago and killed one on public land. I put in every year. I think it would be more of a meat hunt then anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
TonySkyline
My buddy drew a cow tag a few years ago and killed one on public land. I put in every year. I think it would be more of a meat hunt then anything else.

I'm ok with that due to it being the only state within driving distance from upstate NY. I heard it cost over $800 to ship 150lbs of meat back through fedex. Almost pointless at that point unless you are trophy hunting. Hoping the guide was exaggerating the expense. I do know it's a couple hundred to take on the plane back but not as bad as shipping it.

Roughout

FNG
I drew zone 12 bull last year. A very unique experience, some of the best people in the country live in PA. Made some friends that are like family now. Hunt simple, I held out for 1 particular bull until last day and still killed a 350” bull (not one targeting). Passed up many broken up bulls that were easily 360” plus. Unit 9-13 for bull hunts, cows are unpredictable and a handful of DIY guys will go empty handed on cows. It would be almost irresponsible to not use and outfitter (very cheap) for bull tag, lots of private ground some will grant access some will not.

I had same thought most of you do with the pics with 20 folks in them, essentially those are all friends & family of the outfitter. They’e volunteer to help with the retrieving and host large camp experience, very few will ever draw so this is their chance to lay hands on their home elk. Incredible hosts. So this is as much their trophy as mine.

b9da7158dc015e56078159ea9193c7fa.file

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roughout

FNG
I drew zone 12 bull last year. A very unique experience, some of the best people in the country live in PA. Made some friends that are like family now. Hunt simple, I held out for 1 particular bull until last day and still killed a 350” bull (not one targeting). Passed up many broken up bulls that were easily 360” plus. Unit 9-13 for bull hunts, cows are unpredictable and a handful of DIY guys will go empty handed on cows. It would be almost irresponsible to not use and outfitter (very cheap) for bull tag, lots of private ground some will grant access some will not.

I had same thought most of you do with the pics with 20 folks in them, essentially those are all friends & family of the outfitter. They’e volunteer to help with the retrieving and host large camp experience, very few will ever draw so this is their chance to lay hands on their home elk. Incredible hosts. So this is as much their trophy as mine.

And to clarify- the state likes the elk whole for their data. So retrieving= dragging to the state check in to weigh

3204742cd65b35ca546ed54630479268.file

PMcGee

WKR
I'm ok with that due to it being the only state within driving distance from upstate NY. I heard it cost over $800 to ship 150lbs of meat back through fedex. Almost pointless at that point unless you are trophy hunting. Hoping the guide was exaggerating the expense. I do know it's a couple hundred to take on the plane back but not as bad as shipping it.

Getting meat home from out west isn’t that expensive. Fly it home on the plane with you. I’d rather drive out west (yes it’s long) but you have no added cost getting meat home.

Fullfan

WKR

Congrats on a good bull. Back in 04 I met Jack and several of his crew. ECO run a first class operation from what I have seen. I had the only bull tag for unit 9, and they gave me some good I information where I could locate elk. At the time unit 9 was the lartest unit.

jdmaxwell

WKR
And to clarify- the state likes the elk whole for their data. So retrieving= dragging to the state check in to weigh

3204742cd65b35ca546ed54630479268.file

Glad I went the irresponsible way. Lol

Or you can quater them up and pack them out if you are doing DIY.

Weighing them is NOT Required.

But everyone likes to look at them.

Great group of guys you hunted with though for sure.

Last edited:

goodorbit

Lil-Rokslider
Can enlighten me about the application process? I ordered 2 preference points through the PALS website. A week or so later the reg book, 2 envelopes, and a yellow tag showed up. Not sure if I need to mail this in, or to who? Pretty sure they took CC info online, but the PALS website still says "pending" on the preference points in my account. Cant find any info, and the emails I've sent to PaF&G went into a black hole!

PMcGee

WKR
Can enlighten me about the application process? I ordered 2 preference points through the PALS website. A week or so later the reg book, 2 envelopes, and a yellow tag showed up. Not sure if I need to mail this in, or to who? Pretty sure they took CC info online, but the PALS website still says "pending" on the preference points in my account. Cant find any info, and the emails I've sent to PaF&G went into a black hole!

The pink envelopes are for doe tag applications. They send them with every license purchase. You don’t have to send anything in. Once they do the drawing you’ll have your points.