PAC boot recommendation for 0 to-30

KyleDean

FNG
Trying to get all my Camo and footwear squared away for Canada in late March. Anyone have a specific brand/model they suggest?

Wrench

WKR
How do you do in the cold now? Do you need tight boots? Have you ever experienced-30*? I've been around guys that just wore insulated hiking boots, bunny boots, pacs, neos....all kinds of stuff.we all took the cold differently. If I was going to be stagnant at -30* I'd be in pacs with boot blankets and chemical heat. If I was moving around I'd be in pacs with an extra felt in the bottom and big enough to not be tight.

bigbaddad71

Lil-Rokslider
-30° and below is a whole other level of cold.. If you are going to be inactive, you need the biggest pacs you can find and chemical heat would be suggested. If you will be pretty active, Hoffman pacs would be great..

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

OP
K

KyleDean

FNG
Talking to our guide we’re going to be on snow mobiles and in stands. It’s for a wolf hunt. No sir single digits is as cold as I’ve seen. Being born and raised in North Texas I’m not sure how I’ll do in that temperature range.

bigbaddad71

Lil-Rokslider
Talking to our guide we’re going to be on snow mobiles and in stands. It’s for a wolf hunt. No sir single digits is as cold as I’ve seen. Being born and raised in North Texas I’m not sure how I’ll do in that temperature range.
Are you hunting Alberta? We are just coming out of a bad cold snap..
4dc1c49ce2c502a558cecc329a7b6765.jpg

OP
K

KyleDean

FNG
Guides name is Kyler Knelsen. Few guys from here have been and highly recommended him.

Last edited:

bigbaddad71

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome.. I know another fellow that does a bang up job as well.. Shoot strait!

A.M.O

FNG
Something to think about... I'd bring a boot dryer with you. Even the best boots on the planet won't keep you warm if you don't dry them out. If you're sitting, I highly recommend the full foot "toe warmers". They seem to help alot more than just the toe warmers.

Wrench

WKR
I strongly suggest loose clothing, and a face mask. I'm not missing days like theese... work4.jpg

OP
K

KyleDean

FNG
Thank you all for the input I’m listening. This will be a whole new experience for me.

Whisky

WKR
I would buy the Baffin Snow Monsters. I've tried two different brands of insulated late season pac boots and they both fit like crap, very bulky and heavy. The Baffins are bulky too, but 10 times more comfortable, feel like half the weight of Pacs, and warmer. For what you describe I think they'd be perfect.
I have not hiked a great deal of distance in mine yet.

OP
K

KyleDean

FNG
I looked at the cabelas pac boot it was very bulky and uncomfortable. I was wrong on where we’re going I said Alberta but it’s actually out of Yellowknife. Buddy booked it and told me to get my stuff together.

bigbaddad71

Lil-Rokslider
I would imagine that the outfitter has heated blinds, a smaller Pac with a chem warmer will probably suffice.. Like the Hoffman..

Yellowknife in late March is very unlikely to be -30F. Pretty darn unlikely to be -30C even. Much more likely to be +20F to +30F during the day and cooling down to maybe 0F at night. There is a lot of sun that time of year, so the solar heating during the afternoons is very noticeable.

Super insulated boots can be great if you are sitting or on a snowmobile or stand, but they are super clunky to walk around it. I have some huge Baffins for cold weather duty, but avoid them if active at all.

RazAlGhoul

Lil-Rokslider
I've had my sorrel caribou boots for 30 years still waterproof still warm buy new felt liners every 10 years or so !!!!!

Rokwiia

WKR