PAC boots or ?

Hi I’ve got a pair of Schnees/Lowa sheep hunters, uninsulated. They are great boots for early archery through about November but I’m looking to get something a little warmer to get me through the winter. I had my sights set on something similar to the sheep hunters but for that style of insulated boots it’s upwards of $400. I’ve never had a good pair of pac boots I’m just wondering if a good pair would be worth getting and comfortable to hike in or would that just wear them out. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Big Ern

WKR
Good pacs ie schnees, kennetrek, hoffman are warm and confortable. And, Theybare great to hike in out West. There is a reason why so many hunters/guides out west recommend then when it gets cold.

Go for it. You won’t be sorry. My schnees pacs have been going strong for years.

Clrems77

WKR
Another vote for the Schenees. I’ve been running their boots without a single issue for the past 4 years. They were comfortable right out of the box without any break in miles and have held up to miles in the snow and Rocky Mountains of Colorado and Montana. The changeable inserts allow adjustments in warmth with different thickness/ grams of insulation and their customer service for me has been nothing but spectacular.

Sridge

FNG
I bought a pair of schnees this year and really like them. Hiked lots of miles in tough terrain, some with hauling elk quarters. They actually have some ankle support. Just make sure you treat the leather.

Coldtrail

WKR
13" Schnees Hunter IIs, had them almost 15 years, ton of hard miles, 3-4 rebuilds, decent customer service. They do have a tendency for the rubber bottoms to crack at the flex points after a season or two, but I wear mine virtually every day for half the year. The only boots that I can get wet daily, dry them daily and get more than one season out of.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Schnee Hunters I believe are closer to 20 years old (one rebuild)- they have a ton of tough miles on them. Unlike some pac boots, you can actually put the miles on these. I often put 10-15 miles on mine in a day, couldn't do that with all pac boots.

Mine are the 16" ones- tall enough it negates the use of gaiters.

BLJ

WKR
All the pack boots I've had in the past seemed bulky. Are the schnees better than your normal pack boot when it comes to this or is the added bulk for,the added warmth just a trade off you have to deal with?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
these pac's aren't like Sorels or the like; trimmer and actually built for walking

if I can hike 12-14 miles in snowy and tough terrain, they should be good to go :)

BLJ

WKR
@mtwarden. I assumed they weren't the normal packs I'm used to with the mileage numbers you guys were talking about. I'm going to look at the schnees hard before next season.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah- definitely not- I had Sorel's or something similar since I was a little kid- definitely warm and pretty comfy, but definitely not built with walking in mind- going to a cold football game, ice fishing, etc they were fine

but hiking hard in the mountains they wouldn't be suitable, the Schnee's (and the others like the Schnee's) are :)

tdhanses

WKR
So far I’m very impressed with Hoffman Guides, super comfortable and very easy to walk in.

BLJ

WKR
I noticed the schnees come in an D width. I usually wear 9.5 EE. Is bumping up to a 10 going to be sufficient?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
in my opinion they run a little wide just by the nature of the boot; worse case you can send them back if they don't fit

I do know that you can take up some volume with insoles, so it's possible a 11 would work- I'd give them a call before ordering- pretty helpful folks working there :)