Pac Boots - Which Ones

Benjblt

WKR
My feet get very cold once it snows and the temps stay below freezing. I have 400 gram Kenetreks and they dont come close to keeping my feet warm in sub freezing, snowy weather.

What pac boots would you all suggest? In looking at Kenetrek, Schnees, and Hoffman. I'd likely be using them about every other year and in steep terrain.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Werty

WKR
I've looking too, also at the same companies. What I think is going to separate them for me is warranties. Unfortunately at this present time, I don't know which is better. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with anyone one of them. I did try on a pair of Kennetrek, they ran narrow.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I purchased a pair of Schnee’s Hunter II this year and love them. Had them down to around -5 stationary for a few hours and my feet stayed warm. As far as customer service, don’t think you can beat them either. I’ve dealt with their cs department once on some mountain boots and it was a pleasure. They will also rebuild the boots if you ever wear them out.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I purchased a pair of Schnee’s Hunter II this year and love them. Had them down to around -5 stationary for a few hours and my feet stayed warm. As far as customer service, don’t think you can beat them either. I’ve dealt with their cs department once on some mountain boots and it was a pleasure. They will also rebuild the boots if you ever wear them out.
I hear a lot of good things about Schnees. I feel like they might be the best options. I really like my Kenetrek ME's though so probably wouldn't go wrong with their pac boots.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

gfreidy

WKR
I have had Schnee Hunters since 2002. They are awesome. Fit great, warm, durable.

I wanted a pair of shnees but when I found out kenetrek made their own version I bought them as I have enjoyed their mountain boots and they were available locally. They work great. I went half size bigger to fit big socks and run them all winter snowmobiling and predator hunting. Buy some, dont think you can go wrong with any brand. Think I will dig mine out n grease em up!

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
Hoffmans, great traction and warmth. Plus they last forever.

Kotaman

WKR
I think Schnees makes the warmest of those three with their 1000 gram model. Hoffman’s makes one that is close And makes an excellent boot as well.

twodogs

FNG
I've had a pair of Schnee's Hunter II pac boots for about 8 years. I do a lot of elk hunting and I tend to grab them when it's cold and snowy. That said, I'll be migrating to a set of Hoffman's. I find that unless it's really cold, the Schnees suck up water into the leather far faster than I would like. It doesn't seem to matter how much boot dressing I put on them. The other reason for the switch is that it seems like the Hoffmans leather is much more robust; my Schnees don't offer much for ankle support.

Last edited:
OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I've had a pair of Schnee's Hunter II pac boots for about 8 years. I do a lot of elk hunting and I tend to grab them when it's cold and snowy. That said, I'll be migrating to a set of Hoffman's. I find that unless it's really cold, the Schnees suck up water into the leather far faster than I would like. It doesn't seem to matter how much boot dressing I put on them. The other reason for the switch is that it seems like the Hoffmans leather is much more robust; my Schnees don't offer much for ankle support.
Why do you think the Hoffman's will better on these two points? What about the Kenetrek's?

Lawnboi

WKR
How are everyone’s rubber bottoms holding up on Hoffman, and kennetrek? Iv got some such schnees but I’m going on my third winter with them and they rubber is showing some cracks. I sealed them up with some freesole and plan to have them resoled after winter.

Good boots otherwise.

Wrench

WKR
How are everyone’s rubber bottoms holding up on Hoffman, and kennetrek? Iv got some such schnees but I’m going on my third winter with them and they rubber is showing some cracks. I sealed them up with some freesole and plan to have them resoled after winter.

Good boots otherwise.
My whites did that too. My hoffmans are 8ish years old and still holding up great.

twodogs

FNG
Why do you think the Hoffman's will better on these two points? What about the Kenetrek's?
The Hoffman's are made with 7.5 oz leather, whereas the Schnees are 6 oz. The leather on the Hoffman's just feels more substantial. A friend owns a pair of Hoffman's and the leather in my Schnees is wetter far sooner than his. I've seen it enough times that I'm converted. Living in Montana, not swearing by Schnees might be considered sacrilege, but I'm really picky when it comes to my hunting boots. I consider them to be among the most important pieces of equipment, and I spend a lot of days in them. I have no idea on the Kenetreks; I passed on them when I didn't like how they fit my feet.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't tried the others so can't comment, but I've owned my Schnee Hunters close to 30 years now (bought around 1990). I don't think you could ever wear out the uppers on them and the lowers are fully rebuildable. Unlike some pac boots, I can put big miles on the Hunters- it's not unusual for me to put 15 mile days in with them.

Mine are the tallest ones (16" I think) and thus negate the use of any gaiters.

Spendy, but pretty cheap when looked at after three decades of use :)

Wrench

WKR
I am partial to the Hoffmans, but in honesty, a liberal application of obnaufs or your choice of boot grease would level the playing field.

For me the difference is in the shells and shape.

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
Schnees- I have a pair that was a hand-me-down, they still have the rolled over top, which if I remember correctly, are at least 18 years old according to the Shnees employee. Last well, awesome customer service. Love them.