Pack Advice

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum. So far its way cool and lots of good info. I saw someone talk about it over on AT and thought I could get some advice. I am on a budget and I have to buy some new gear for my backcountry adventures next fall. I am going to buy a one man tent or bivy. What is everyone's opinions? I am a little nervous about a bivy for the claustrophobic factor but I know they are a little cheaper. I am not opposed to them just nervous. Most of my ventures will be 3 to five days with the occasion overnighter. I will also be purchasing a new pack. I tried to just make due with a pack frame and my 2800 attached to it. I can't stand that anymore. My original thought was to just buy a pack and have a budget of $600 but now I am thinking I need to stretch that for both my tent and pack. I have looked at the tenzing packs, badlands ox, eberlestock, mr crew cab, kifaru (i am thinking there out of my price range) and kuiu. I was just curious what you guys think of packs within that price range. I can probably raise my max dollar a little to get both but not much. I hunt bear, elk, and deer so meat packing out is important factor.

how compact and light is the rest of your gear? do you hunt solo? how big a shelter are you looking for and what season do you plan to use it?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
If the pack you really choose is for your style of hunting is out of your price range, I would save more. You will buy something you didn't want as much and always want the other. Then it is a year or two later and you end up buying what you wanted to begin with.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
how compact and light is the rest of your gear? do you hunt solo? how big a shelter are you looking for and what season do you plan to use it?

Not too light. My sleeping bag weighs 3 lbs I think. Synthetic. I use a foam pad. I have a brunton raptor stove. I use water treatment tablets. I think that's about it. I am getting new clothing for christmas. I will be hunting with another buddy and he has a single man tent and that's what he wants to use. It will be mainly archery season, September to early October. I just don't want to feel claustrophobic but I want a shelter that will protect my gear. I have heard of people using bivy's and a tarp to protect gear.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shelter wise, you can pick up an rei minimalist bivy on the cheap. Or a golite shangri la 3 or 5 for a tipi style shelter. There are other but those are a few of the cheaper good options. I have both of the above and like them both.

As far as packs, keep an eye out on classifieds here, eBay, etc... You can pick up a nice pack for alot less than a new one, plus you have a bit of time before season rolls around too so you have a good chance of picking up a nice pack at a decent price if you are patient. Also you might want to think about getting a good sleeping pad, your body will thank you and you can cut a few lbs off of your pack.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
If the pack you really choose is for your style of hunting is out of your price range, I would save more. You will buy something you didn't want as much and always want the other. Then it is a year or two later and you end up buying what you wanted to begin with.

This is sound advice. If you can save more in time for your hunt, do it. Not many people regret buying the best.

However, I understand how budgets are, and sometimes the best of everything just isn't in the cards. People will prioritize different types of gear.

IMO, it isn't always bad to buy what you can afford and get a few years in with it while you save for the super-pack you wanted. By then, maybe there will be even something better available. In the mean time, you still went hunting, and got the most important piece of gear: Experience.

Still, there are suitable packs and shelters in your price range. A golite poncho-tarp combined with a TiGoat Raven Omni Bivy will run you less than $200, weigh hardly anything, and provide the protection you need that time of year.

If you could convince your buddy to split the weight and share the cost, you could get a GoLite Shangri-La 5 and have a backcountry palace.

A great affordable ultralight option is the Tarptent Contrail. It is a full protection shelter with more room than a bivy, but still bivy-weight.

While I like and use an Eberlestock Just One pack, it isn't at its best as a bivy pack. There are some good packs from non-hunting companies like Gregory and REI's own branded packs you may want to look at.

Eberlestock's V9 and V90 would be possible choices as well. These look like they could be a good option for guys on a budget, but I haven't tested one.

A used Kuiu Icon is a good option. I have the Icon 6000, and it has been a very good bivy pack for me. The suspension is excellent, and it carries heavy loads very well. I wouldn't throw it off a cliff though (I would throw my Eberlestock off a cliff without worry).

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member

Ha! Been there done that! I'm in a kuiu and will probably going kifaru before next season. Wish I would have waited...

OP
WyoBowhunter21
Thanks! I will keep that in mind. I always forget about ebay! I will check it out and I will try and be patient. I really want to get one ha. I guess I just want to hunt but I will see if I can find one on sale. I will check out those bivy's.

One pack that I would recommend for the lower price range is the horn hunter full curl. Yes its a bit heavy at 8 lbs for the full curl system, but you can cut the useless straps off and get it in the 7 lb range and it carries loads well. You can get the whole system for under 300 bucks and it will serve you very well. If you don't swing a kifaru, I seriously recommend looking into the horn hunter full curl system.

You could get a full curl system, and then a Paratarp + annex right there in the 600 range. But if you are dead set on a tent... Look into the big anges Fly creek, Marmot 1 mans, and other shelters like that. You should come in below 600 for a tent and a new pack.

dotman

WKR
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum. So far its way cool and lots of good info. I saw someone talk about it over on AT and thought I could get some advice. I am on a budget and I have to buy some new gear for my backcountry adventures next fall. I am going to buy a one man tent or bivy. What is everyone's opinions? I am a little nervous about a bivy for the claustrophobic factor but I know they are a little cheaper. I am not opposed to them just nervous. Most of my ventures will be 3 to five days with the occasion overnighter. I will also be purchasing a new pack. I tried to just make due with a pack frame and my 2800 attached to it. I can't stand that anymore. My original thought was to just buy a pack and have a budget of $600 but now I am thinking I need to stretch that for both my tent and pack. I have looked at the tenzing packs, badlands ox, eberlestock, mr crew cab, kifaru (i am thinking there out of my price range) and kuiu. I was just curious what you guys think of packs within that price range. I can probably raise my max dollar a little to get both but not much. I hunt bear, elk, and deer so meat packing out is important factor.

There is a used Kifaru T2 for $535 tyd on kifaru's trading post. Look at the paratarp and see if you can find a used 1 also look at go-lite. I would get the pack you want and the if you have to get a cheap shelter for a year I would look at the Eureka Solitare at under $80 and just over 1lb in weight but it is a tight fit for 1 man without gear.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
There is a used Kifaru T2 for $535 tyd on kifaru's trading post. Look at the paratarp and see if you can find a used 1 also look at go-lite. I would get the pack you want and the if you have to get a cheap shelter for a year I would look at the Eureka Solitare at under $80 and just over 1lb in weight but it is a tight fit for 1 man without gear.

Thanks! I will go check that one out. I have been thinking about spending more on the pack and using the current tent I have. I have a Eureka 2 man that's like 8 years old. It weighs 7 pounds though.

Lawnboi

WKR
What is your price range for all 3 items, pack, tent and bivy if you so choose. Lots of options out there

Im using a paratarp and an ID bivy, thats my choice shelter. Not too terribly expensive, but its a tarp and a bivy. If you can sleep in a mummy style sleeping bag comfortably chances are you will do just fine in a bivy.

I also agree with some of these guys on the buy once and be done with it thing, if you can afford to do so. Most high end backpacking stuff is made to last a very very long time.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
What is your price range for all 3 items, pack, tent and bivy if you so choose. Lots of options out there

Im using a paratarp and an ID bivy, thats my choice shelter. Not too terribly expensive, but its a tarp and a bivy. If you can sleep in a mummy style sleeping bag comfortably chances are you will do just fine in a bivy.

I also agree with some of these guys on the buy once and be done with it thing, if you can afford to do so. Most high end backpacking stuff is made to last a very very long time.

I would say $700 is the very top end I can spend for all of it. That's pushing my budget too. I will be just graduating from college so that's my grad present to myself.

if you can find stuff from spartacus, ive had good deals with him before and his stuff was as described. good thing abot danas is they dont really lose resale so you upgrade to the $600 pack next year and not lose much if any. if you went with an sl3, tyvek ground sheet your at around 3lbs and $280.

dotman

WKR
I would say $700 is the very top end I can spend for all of it. That's pushing my budget too. I will be just graduating from college so that's my grad present to myself.

I would get a used Kifaru or a new T2 with aluminum stays and solid in color for $566 and then get a budget 2 man tent or tarp. Replace your shelter later and have a great pack now. Plus you have plenty of time before next season to maybe add another $100 or $200 to your budget and get a good shelter.

No reason to buy all the Kifaru accessories right away and if you want to down the road upgrade to composite stays. That used pack I posted above is a great deal, proably $150 off retail and you won't pay the $18 shipping you would on a new pack.

Since you bumped your budget if you go with the used you already have $165 in savings towards a shelter and to get a paratarp is only $180, the annex I think would be another $110? then get some trekking poles on sale for $80 (don't buy the pole kit) or less.

Total to save for would be another $200 for the next 6 months.

If go-lite had the sl2 in stock you could buy it all now in a $700 budget and have quality gear.

Last edited: