Pack Advice

Lawnboi

WKR
First thing id do is figure out what packs will suite your needs. You said 3-5 days, but might that grow in the future? Whats the max you think you will be doing? How much weight can you handle? How much room will your gear take up? What are you hunting? When are you hunting?

These are all factors to consider, once you consider the size of pack you need then start shopping.

I personally would rather spend more on a pack than a shelter, only because iv had a few cheaper shelter that have done alright, just get something you know will keep you dry. Many of the big brand shelter can be had for pretty cheap if you wait for the deals, and on the name brand backpacking stuff, theres ALWAYS deals out there!

Craig4791

WKR
I would also spend most of the money on a great pack and get a cheaper tent for now. You can carry a small tarp to pitch above your tent if the rain gets real bad. I used a eureka solo tent for the past two years like this and never had any issues. I think I paid like $150 for it. Most solo tents won't have room for your gear though so it will have to stay outside.

I have decided to sell my barneys Pack. $300 to your door. I doubt you can find a better deal on a pack this great. might save you $300 or so
Bag is Brand new condition.
Frame has a few scratches but great shape for a hunting pack.

PM if intrested.....thanks

WesternBounty

Lil-Rokslider
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum. So far its way cool and lots of good info. I saw someone talk about it over on AT and thought I could get some advice. I am on a budget and I have to buy some new gear for my backcountry adventures next fall. I am going to buy a one man tent or bivy. What is everyone's opinions? I am a little nervous about a bivy for the claustrophobic factor but I know they are a little cheaper. I am not opposed to them just nervous. Most of my ventures will be 3 to five days with the occasion overnighter. I will also be purchasing a new pack. I tried to just make due with a pack frame and my 2800 attached to it. I can't stand that anymore. My original thought was to just buy a pack and have a budget of $600 but now I am thinking I need to stretch that for both my tent and pack. I have looked at the tenzing packs, badlands ox, eberlestock, mr crew cab, kifaru (i am thinking there out of my price range) and kuiu. I was just curious what you guys think of packs within that price range. I can probably raise my max dollar a little to get both but not much. I hunt bear, elk, and deer so meat packing out is important factor.

KUIU packs are great and well worth the money! I think its smart to invest in a pack your going to be happy with that has good qaulity especially since this is something that you will be relying on in the backcountry! It has to hold up and have some sort of support packing an animal out in unexpected terrian you will wish you had the best of the best.... Just my personal opinion.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I would be careful with the Kuiu lots of issues in the last year's model, haven't heard much on this years model but they need a few years experience before it probably will be a great pack. Not knocking them but the best pack companies out like MR and Kifaru have had years and years of experience and r&d. Would like to hear some reviews from the people that had last year's Kuiu packs fail them.

What failed on yours?

I have used mine a lot, and haven't had a failure. I have also spoken with others that have used theirs hard and had a similar experience, although I have also spoken to folks that have experienced a failure.

Would like to hear some reviews from the people that had last year's Kuiu packs fail them.

Why wouldn't you just want to hear about the packs performance generally?

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Her's what I would do...

Get and REI Mars 80 or an Eberlestock. The REI will be more comfortable, but the Eberlestock is more durable. The REI is also much lighter, but again, not as durable.

I would take a hard look at the Sierra Design Dry Down sleeping bag as well. This is a great bag for the $ and on sale right now ....http://www.rei.com/product/836216/sierra-designs-zissou-hi-dridown-sleeping-bag

I've been running a tarp/bivy combo and that's a great and versatile option. You can find decent deals on Kifaru Paratarps and bivy sacks aren't to bad for price if you shop around.

The good thing about REI (although not real ethical) is you can return anything, so if you buy a pack from them and want to upgrade later, that is a good option.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Everyone, lets make sure you have first hand knowledge before you post. No rumors, just facts!

weaver

WKR
I would look at a eureka solitaire tent. I picked one up to get me by after a bear mauled my tent. It worked well enough that i think im gonna use it next year as well. I paid less then a $100 for it i think

If this is something you will be doing a lot my first instinct is to get a quality pack. Check all for fit function, and quality. My preference is Kifaru.
I got by for a couple of years on budget tents. The Eureka Spitfire 2 was the best of the budget tents for me, matter of fact I still have it. If you need it let me know, send me your info and you can borrow it.

dotman

WKR
Dotman,

I think Ryan was asking for FIRST HAND knowledge:)

Ed F,

That was directed towards Dotman, not me.

:) yeah I know, I posted some links so that if someone wanted to see what problems rokslide and Kuiu forum members have had they can take a look.

Last edited:

OR Archer

WKR
This is the tent that I have been using for the past 4 years and it has served me well in all types of weather minus snow. Its on the cheap end. Its not fancy by any means but it works great for a budget shelter. Comes in right around 3 lbs and packs up fairly small. Set up is easy. My only complaints is its not free standing and the vestibule is pretty much non existent. Other than that it's performed flawlessly for me. This would allow you a bigger budget for a high quality pack which I think is a little more important than a fancy shelter. If your pack is junk and not comfortable it'll ruin your hunt real fast.

http://store.eurekatent.com/spitfire-1-tent

dotman

WKR
Made some edits, sorry if I offended anyone it was not meant to be directed towards anyone at all! Again sorry if it was taken that way.

Last edited:

Craig4791

WKR
This is the tent that I have been using for the past 4 years and it has served me well in all types of weather minus snow. Its on the cheap end. Its not fancy by any means but it works great for a budget shelter. Comes in right around 3 lbs and packs up fairly small. Set up is easy. My only complaints is its not free standing and the vestibule is pretty much non existent. Other than that it's performed flawlessly for me. This would allow you a bigger budget for a high quality pack which I think is a little more important than a fancy shelter. If your pack is junk and not comfortable it'll ruin your hunt real fast.

http://store.eurekatent.com/spitfire-1-tent

This is the exact solo tent i have that i was referring to in my previous post. Agree 100% with (OR Archer) that this is a great bang for your buck tent. I have probably spent close to 100 nights in this tent in all types of weather over the past couple of years and never had an issue other than the cheapo tent spikes bending which is an easy fix.