Pack Advice

ZDR

WKR
OK, I just picked up a like new 24" duplex frame and am now looking for a pack for it. I am thinking of the woodsman as most of my trips will probably be 3-5 days with maybe an occasional 7 dayer. I have 2 medium and 1 large side pocket I would use for extra capacity and am thinking of getting a roll top to use on the bottom of the pack for longer trips. With the pockets and a lid, I would be at 5000+ ci.
So, my question is would this just be too hard to manage bigger loads versus just going with a reckoning?
For reference, I have a 14'r I use with the pockets that I can comfortably go for 3 days with.

thanks
z

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK, I just picked up a like new 24" duplex frame and am now looking for a pack for it. I am thinking of the woodsman as most of my trips will probably be 3-5 days with maybe an occasional 7 dayer. I have 2 medium and 1 large side pocket I would use for extra capacity and am thinking of getting a roll top to use on the bottom of the pack for longer trips. With the pockets and a lid, I would be at 5000+ ci.
So, my question is would this just be too hard to manage bigger loads versus just going with a reckoning?
For reference, I have a 14'r I use with the pockets that I can comfortably go for 3 days with.

thanks
z

Sort of depending on how you pack, for a 7 day trip I think you may run into space issues packing meat out with your gear. I think I would anyways.. You could always start strapping stuff like tents on the outside if it didn't fit in the bag. I'd personally go with a bigger bag, they all compress down so nicely anyways. Aron's always told me you've never gone down the trail wishing your bag was smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Felix40

WKR
If you are running a 14r for 3 day trips it seems like you would be fine with the woodsman and guide lid for 5-7. Big bags do compress down but they are heavier so if you dont need the capacity its a real waste. The reckoning is almost a pound heavier than the woodsman. Id say pack your 14r and then add 3-4 days of food in a pile next to it and see how much extra space you actually need. Youve got the load shelf for meat so that shouldnt be an issue. I think if i had the new style frame I would try it. Getting to the load shelf is too much of a pain with my frame. I run a 4800 cu bag with no pockets and a very minimalist lid for all my trips with plenty of room.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you are running a 14r for 3 day trips it seems like you would be fine with the woodsman and guide lid for 5-7. Big bags do compress down but they are heavier so if you dont need the capacity its a real waste. The reckoning is almost a pound heavier than the woodsman. Id say pack your 14r and then add 3-4 days of food in a pile next to it and see how much extra space you actually need. Youve got the load shelf for meat so that shouldnt be an issue. I think if i had the new style frame I would try it. Getting to the load shelf is too much of a pain with my frame. I run a 4800 cu bag with no pockets and a very minimalist lid for all my trips with plenty of room.

I wouldn't load the bag full and then load the load shelf full of meat though. It'd be much more comfortable to put the meat inside the bag. There are other bigger bags and are similar to the woodsman in weight besides the Reckoning too. Just my .02, but you could probably make it work with the woodsman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ZDR

ZDR

WKR
Thanks for the advice from both of you. After considering it, I went with a Markhor pack as it was bigger than the Woodsman and with pockets, will give me more than enough room. I just got it in, set it up and absolutely love it so far.
z

OP
ZDR

ZDR

WKR
pic added:)
My new Pack.jpg

with an old Loco lid I had.

Attachments

• My new Pack.jpg
    My new Pack.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 35