Pack and Frame as a carry on

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
I used my kifaru hoodlum with dublex lite frame as a carry on once to save on checked bags. I used enough compression straps to keep it minimally sized, but the frames are always gonna be longer than you want for a carry on. It worked fine for me, the people in my row didn't care for it taking up so much overhead storage space but we made it work. Worst case scenario if you already have it on the plane having already gotten past TSA and it won't fit in the overhead, the flight attendants will check your bag for free.

MattB

WKR
my biggest question is ... why? I fly a lot. If it is a quick overnighter or a couple days I can get by on a small carry on. If I need more than that check the bag. Most airports now have much better and faster baggage handling. Most times baggage is already starting to come out by the time you get to the baggage claim area. When you check the bag you dont need to worry sharp items, liquids etc. It just goes through and you dont end up taking a bunch of extra time at security with TSA looking through your bag and you dont end up being "that guy" trying to stuff too much shit into an over head.
Using your hunting pack as a carry-on saves on baggage fees (esp so if it would be your 3rd or 4th checked bag). To each their own, but most every hunter I know who flies on trips does this and I’ve never seen it be a problem except on puddle jumpers with tiny overhead bins.

Southwest and Alaska have been the best two airlines for flying hunters I’ve experienced and have flown both quite a number of times. Both have nuances around checked bag fees which make them more affordable and have been very accommodating in terms of weapon cases and over-weight bags. Not to mention friendly staff.

MattB

WKR
Couldn't tell you what the plane size will be but there is a connecting flight that will be a smaller plane flying into Great Falls. Don't think that airport could handle a 737. I'll probably check it, just hate giving them a brand new $700 pack with loose straps. Might put it in a large duffle for protection along with all the non-carry on allowed items.
If you are faced with that, I personally would pack a duffel to put the pack in just in case. The airlines have plastic bags they put checked kids car seats into as a potential plan b.

Using your hunting pack as a carry-on saves on baggage fees (esp so if it would be your 3rd or 4th checked bag). To each their own, but most every hunter I know who flies on trips does this and I’ve never seen it be a problem except on puddle jumpers with tiny overhead bins.

Southwest and Alaska have been the best two airlines for flying hunters I’ve experienced and have flown both quite a number of times. Both have nuances around checked bag fees which make them more affordable and have been very accommodating in terms of weapon cases and over-weight bags. Not to mention friendly staff.
i like Alaska air, fly them often and use their credit card for their friends fly free feature. we already know what I think of SW.

woods89

WKR
this entire thread reminds of this. The hunting douche fb page is actually pretty damn funny. View attachment 423753
That is funny. I've seen a few of those.

I always fly in street clothes as I like to retain some anonymity, although I do wear my hunting boots, and, of course, my pack, which if you know what it is is a dead giveaway. And of course until I drop my checked bags it's also a dead giveaway. If it wasn't for the room my boots and pack take up I would pack them away unseen in a heartbeat.

I can't remember if it was on this forum or another that a guy said he took a coyote brown Kifaru on several flights to Alaska and was thanked for his service 4-5 times. That doesn't happen to me, I have too much hair and beard........

KHNC

WKR
I do this very thing all the time. Never had an issue taking a loaded pack as a carry on. Hippies flying to the west do it EVERY flight. I wont be paying outrageous bag fees if i dont have to. And now Delta charges the absolute shit out of people for bag fees.

MattB

WKR
They will gladly tag it and gate check it on those. Never had a single issue. Just grab it as soon as you get off the plane with the other tagged carry-ons.
Same here. I put my fragile/valuables/electronics/travel documents in my pack lid which easily separates so I do not have my $2K binocs exposed to whims of baggage handlers. Fits overhead or underneath the seat. Only had to do that 3-4 times out of ~30 hunting trips I've flown to.

i think the airlines have it all wrong. wish they charged more for carryon rather than checking. carry on causes delays at every stage of the game now. Carry-ons make it longer to get through TSA (because so many people dont follow the rules), they make it longer for people boarding the plane and longer for getting off the plane. Dealing with amateur hour on airlines like SW (just makes things worse, i truly hate everything about flying on SW.
But they don't have to pay for employees and equipment to handle carry on bags...

Clarkdale17

Lil-Rokslider
Carried on MR Marshall on southwest Monday. No issues with a fairly full bag. As long as it fits in the overhead bin you should be fine

Checked my MR Marshall to Jackson in 2020 two separate times. Cola, SC to Dallas to Jackson, WY. Put my pistol in lock box the second time, in the rifle case the first time. No issues, they zip tied it both times.

I’d do it again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I take the lid off, don't fill the bag much above my shoulders, and cinch everything down. As others said I clip the hip belt behind me while boarding so it appears smaller. I try to keep it small so I don't get questioned and also that's just being a good neighbor that doesn't take up all the overhead space. Valuables such as spotter, binos, inreach, etc. all go in a lightweight dry bag in the pack. That way if they ask me to gate check it, I just pull out that sack and put it overhead while the rest of the bag goes under the plane for free. I've never had them ask me to gate check my pack in probably a dozen flights. Experience is with AK air except for a couple of times with delta.

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Couldn't tell you what the plane size will be but there is a connecting flight that will be a smaller plane flying into Great Falls. Don't think that airport could handle a 737. I'll probably check it, just hate giving them a brand new $700 pack with loose straps. Might put it in a large duffle for protection along with all the non-carry on allowed items.
I've used something like this for checking my pack: https://www.rei.com/product/118870/rei-co-op-pack-duffel-bag

Packs down small and protects all your loose straps. There is usually room for another couple items if you pack wisely!