Pack as carry on luggage?

Loper

WKR
I have a leisure trip with the wife coming up and would like to take my EXO K3 4800 as my carry on luggage to avoid checked bag fees. It won’t be packed full as we are only going to be out of town for 3 nights. Also, want to take the pack as we’ll be doing some day hiking and I haven’t gotten a chance to really use the pack yet. However, I’m a little reluctant as I don’t want to have to check the bag last minute and the pack get all jacked up by the handlers.

Have you used the K3 4800 or one of similar size as a carry on before? Have the airlines given you a hard time about using it as a carry on?

Any advice on this? Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
L

Loper

WKR
Yeah, I don’t think it will fit within the luggage guidelines, but I was wondering if anyone went ahead and tried to carry on none the less.

Geedubya

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I recently did a 9 day trip via air and vehicle to Niagra Falls, then down through the Shenandoah valley. I to wanted a good quality carry on backpack. After doing some research, I settled on the Osprey Farpoint 40 Travel Backpack. It worked perfectly as an airline carry on. I have a number of packs and it is my favorite for packing clothes. I got the grey color.

ya!

GWB

Each carrier has different criteria for carry on baggage. Usually they're a bit more lax about enforcement on domestic flights and more strict on international flights.

Last Oct., I had my Sawtooth 45 in the overhead with 80# of boneless frozen mule deer in it. The pack dimensions are 29x15x12. It was fully expanded and nobody said a word to me. I regularly see people put much larger bags in the overhead. Worst case, they could have called me on it and made me gate check it, which doesn't carry a fee, at least not on American.

young7.3

WKR
I’ve taken my exo3500 on southwest several times packed down without issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve taken my exo3500 on southwest several times packed down without issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here. Fully loaded to the brim as well; no lid on it though. Just don’t forget your stove in your pack, the spark igniter can get you in trouble. Ask me how I know...

I've taken my SG 6900 with a few layers of clothes, food, laptop onboard. Sinched down as best as possible of course. Did this a few times and haven't had any issues.

One time I tried to fly with my 60L old backpacking pack from Anchorage to the lower 48 and I must have caught the Alaska Airlines rep on a bad day because made me pull the metal supports out and really squish my bag down to let me go through. Only problem I've ever had though.

Trees91

WKR
I use my kuiu 4000 pack as carry on to Anchorage every fall. Frame is a little cumbersome but I like to keep my valuables like binos and camera with me. I just stuff it between my legs as I fly.

Jimss

WKR
The nice thing about large carry-ons is it generally saves around $60 in baggage fees each direction. It's a royal pain in the rear hauling through the airport though! I carry most of my optics and essentials in my carryon that are fragile and I don't want to risk loosing on special trips.

I carry on around 80 lbs of gear on my Alaska trips. In fact, I get some funny looks in the airports since I can barely stand up with all the gear on my back! Each airlines is a little different. Some don't have very much room in their over head storage compartments so it's wise to go with their suggested measurements. Alaska Airlines tends to have a lot bigger overhead compartments. I always tend to fly with Alaska Air and they have always allowed me to haul my 60+ lb pack plus a super large camera case with binos, spotting scope, camcorder, and camera, etc.

I have a Kifaru bag that is around 7,000 cu in when loaded and usually don't fill it to full capacity so it will fit in the bins. Sometimes airlines see me coming at the check in station and allow me to check in my carry-on for free. Although this is a bit spooky since I have my binos, spotting scope, camera, camcorder, etc in it I've had pretty good luck with this as well.

My rifle case is on rollers which is super nice hauling to check in. I pile other things on top of my rifle case. I gut the foam in the rifle case and place my clothes around my rifle, fishing poles, treking poles, etc until it's under the max wt (usually around 50 or 55 lbs).

sheffe

FNG
I've flown with several backpacks. SG 5900 was the biggest but it wasn't full, my go-to now a days is the SG Avail. like others have said it really depends how full the plane is and how big the compartments are. I have flown with the EXO 3500 and managed to put it under the seat between my legs when the overhead bins were full.

bozeman

WKR
I have flown with a Seek Outside Unaweep 4800, Mystery Ranch Scapegoat 35 and will be flying in the next few weeks with an Exo K3 1850.......so far, no issues.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Well I flew out this morning. After thinking about it more, I didn’t want to risk my relatively new EXO pack be checked at the gate and have it get jacked up by the baggage handlers. After laying out all my clothes, I realized I really didn’t have much at all and was able to fit it all in a relatively small backpack, similar to the old school Jansport I had in high school.

After waiting in line to board and watching all the different size bags people were carrying on the Southwest flight, I realized I could have compressed down the K3 4800 and carried it on and it wouldn’t have been an issue. Definitely something to something I’ll remember for next time.