Pack Build-Along, Frame and All

5shot

Lil-Rokslider
Finished up my rifle carrier and side pocket. I set it up with multiple mounting options. You can mount it semi permanently by lacing the webbing through the pack mounted rectangular rings at the frame and then threading the tab loops through the pocket mounted rectangular rings on the body of the pack. If you want a quick release type, you can use the 3 bar sliders on the frame and just use the tension straps to mount it to the pack bag.

Working on a Bino Harness that will mount to the shoulder straps of the pack and will put together a Hunter Orange panel for the back of the pack.

30292260795_df00558412_b.jpg

30292258645_5455089229_b.jpg

30292256595_23ce1f1369_b.jpg

30292255025_c3c99f87fb_b.jpg

30176718582_d38336f07a_b.jpg

29995787710_f9b6907158_b.jpg

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's pretty dam slick. Well thought out and executed. Excellent work as always

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

5shot

Lil-Rokslider
Finished up the bino harness. Not perfect, but better than nothing. You have to take it off to get the pack off, but that's not a huge deal to me. At some point I'll make a stand alone harness so it can be used without the pack. I canibalized the straps off of a neck strap I had, but nothing really special about those anyway.

The bino straps are attached to the shoulder harness with a couple of rectangular rings which I turned into split rings with my hot knife. The upper support is attached directly to the binos, and the side straps are run through the rectangular ring on the pack (the same one used to mount the side pocket). Comes off in just a few seconds, so I don't feel the need to make the stand alone piece just yet. Plenty of length to get the binos to your eyes without tugging on anything. Not full coverage, and not padded, but really light.

29672230914_5b8fb1a37a_c.jpg

30186986122_ecd06d2faf_c.jpg

29672233784_f05d1074c8_c.jpg

30186978212_d9d70b753e_c.jpg

29672225744_fa1345e68b_c.jpg

OP
Tartan

Tartan

WKR
5shot, Everything looks fantastic.

Once my season is over and I get some honey-do's off the list, I'll be diving into making an unpadded harness(so I can hopefully shoulder a rifle with the pack on), pockets, and a bino harness for sure.

Then of course I'll have to make a 26" frame and bag to go with it...

aarmst95

WKR
Y’all have done some incredible work! From a guy that just last night ordered his first sewing machine...threads like this are going to be HUGE! Crazy to see what you guys are able to do.

Here’s to hoping my singer 4423 and zero sewing knowledge can one day figure this stuff out 😂

aarmst95

WKR
Western Oklahoma this year. There are a couple of areas where you can get 1-2+ miles back from the roads.

Grew up rifle hunting the allegheny national forest in PA. We generally do the same thing. 1-2 miles in. There are areas you can go deeper. Won't make it home this year bc of the newborn. But will be going back. Dragging a deer uphill for a mile will hopefully be a thing of the past if I can debone it and carry it with the pack.

Hopefully working on some western hunts in the future. This excursion to OK will be a good introduction.

Took a 5 day trip up to Beaver, OK back in January to chase some deer. I heard there was a bad fire up that way just recently. Not sure exactly where you’re at but was curious if you knew the area or how bad the fire affected the WMA’s

OP
Tartan

Tartan

WKR
Took a 5 day trip up to Beaver, OK back in January to chase some deer. I heard there was a bad fire up that way just recently. Not sure exactly where you’re at but was curious if you knew the area or how bad the fire affected the WMA’s

I’m in north Texas. Have hunted several wma’s within 4 hrs of here. Haven’t heard anything about fires upthar far north.

Last edited:

mereside

FNG
firstly I have to say I know this is an old thread but having just joined those two packs look great,very nice quality. I have just got materials to start a pack and after seeing this post I am wanting to do something similar.
would kydex be ok for the frame?.
Tartan, how do you find the shoulder harness attachement with larger loads, would you do anything different?. regards wayne

5shot

Lil-Rokslider
firstly I have to say I know this is an old thread but having just joined those two packs look great,very nice quality. I have just got materials to start a pack and after seeing this post I am wanting to do something similar.
Tartan, how do you find the shoulder harness attachement with larger loads, would you do anything different?. regards wayne

I would avoid Kydex. It will crack eventually and possibly at the worst time. Also, it would be impossible to sew through if needed.

mereside

FNG
I would avoid Kydex. It will crack eventually and possibly at the worst time. Also, it would be impossible to sew through if needed.
Ok great, Glad I asked the question, I presumed it would be stronger, thanks Wayne.

OP
Tartan

Tartan

WKR

second what 5shot said. I wouldn’t use kydex. It would be fine until it wasn’t...

I like the shoulder harness. Personally I feel it spreads the weight better on a really heavy pack. You get heavy enough and there’s going to be some weight on your shoulders even with the load lifters. It does make getting a heavy pack on a little more awkward than normal shoulder straps though.

I know Snyder/kifaru has said they’ve tried yoke systems and never could get it how they like it. I don’t have enough experience to say either way.

the only thing I would do different in an ideal world would be to build this with an industrial machine. I have an older singer, but it isn’t strong enough to do everything I would have liked, so there were some work arounds.

if you search, I have another post on a 26” frame and bag I built as well.

mereside

FNG
second what 5shot said. I wouldn’t use kydex. It would be fine until it wasn’t...

I like the shoulder harness. Personally I feel it spreads the weight better on a really heavy pack. You get heavy enough and there’s going to be some weight on your shoulders even with the load lifters. It does make getting a heavy pack on a little more awkward than normal shoulder straps though.

I know Snyder/kifaru has said they’ve tried yoke systems and never could get it how they like it. I don’t have enough experience to say either way.

the only thing I would do different in an ideal world would be to build this with an industrial machine. I have an older singer, but it isn’t strong enough to do everything I would have liked, so there were some work arounds.

if you search, I have another post on a 26” frame and bag I built as well.
Thanks Tartan for the detailed reply, most helpful. I will source the proper HDPE sheet, I have an old industrial singer 96/49 which had no issues with my saddles and webbing so fingers crossed for this project, just one last question if you dont mind, I think you sewed the back panel I am presuming inside out then turned the right way and fitted the HDPE sheet, looking at 5shots looked like its just sewn through the HDPE is this how they are made?, Regards wayne.

OP
Tartan

Tartan

WKR
Thanks Tartan for the detailed reply, most helpful. I will source the proper HDPE sheet, I have an old industrial singer 96/49 which had no issues with my saddles and webbing so fingers crossed for this project, just one last question if you dont mind, I think you sewed the back panel I am presuming inside out then turned the right way and fitted the HDPE sheet, looking at 5shots looked like its just sewn through the HDPE is this how they are made?, Regards wayne.

correct I sewed mine inside out and then put in the sheet. My machine isn’t strong enough to punch through the hdpe. I was a little worried it wouldn’t handle the weight as well, but I’ve had no problems.

I think the kifaru is likely sewn inside out (just the cordura shell) then the hdpe is slid in and everything then sewn on and through the frame sheet.

I almost bought a Juki 563 for a steal a month ago, but it was sold an hour before I reached out to the seller.

mereside

FNG
Awesome thanks for your help, it’s greatly received, I will start a new thread when I get going. I had started to pattern a pack I liked which didn’t have a frame structure which is what I wanted so I will finish this up whilst sourcing the HDPE, then get a build along underway, shame you missed out on the juki, I would love one, Regards Wayne.