Pack build with Ultragrid material

feanor

WKR
Does anybody have a ballpark on yards of fabric for a bag aprox 80L to go on my frame. It will be fairly simple so not a ton of extra added panels etc. I can’t find my last bag dimensions with what in bought.

WoodBow

WKR
You could just run the math using an online calculator. Either use a rectangular or cylinder shape. Plug in some rough dimensions until you get the volume you want. You can then extrapolate that data into how many yards you will need. In general, fabric is not expensive. I try to buy enough for the current project and at least one more. I tend to buy 2-3 yards at a time.

OP
feanor

feanor

WKR
That’s a good idea on volume calc. I’m going to sew using challenge ultra. So I don’t want to buy too much extra😁

I did some very rough modeling based off a Mystery Ranch 80L pack and got about 1.2 yards, so maybe that will get you in the ball park🤷‍♂️ I'd obviously lean towards getting a little extra

OP
feanor

feanor

WKR
I believe I’m looking at 1.5 yards from my previous pack. This will get me really close without a ton of leftover.

OP
feanor

feanor

WKR
Here’s what I have so far… fabric is pretty easy to work with. A little slick at times. Ultragrid is about half as light as 500 cordura.This is castlerock color. Aaaand I only managed to make one mistake so far.
IMG_9515.jpeg

IMG_9516.jpeg

OP
feanor

feanor

WKR
No it’s an xcurve frame. I made a cordura bag for it a couple years ago and just decided to update and streamline a few things with this model.

OP
feanor

feanor

WKR
IMG_9574.jpegIMG_9575.jpeg
And the final photos. Simple roll top enclosure, and a borrowed bedlam design for pull tabs on the top zipper. I think this was for gloves and cold weather, but I enjoy ripping it apart and having the zipper come half down and open for quick access.

OP
feanor

feanor

WKR
Nice job. I wish I had your sewing skills. How long did the project take you?
It probably took 10 hours or so. It’s hard to tell sometime when you get 20 minutes here and there to work on it. Grab a machine and start sewing. It’s not too tough when you practice and get a few projects under your belt.

Great job! That looks awesome. How is the ultra fabric to work with compared to a lightweight silpoly?

OP
feanor

feanor

WKR
I think it’s a bit easier to deal with. Still a little slippery. I just got back from a hunt, and it held up nicely. I’m very happy with it overall. I can’t see a downside to it when comparing cordura (besides cost).

drew12

FNG
Super cool, I'm a big fan of the zipper pull tabs... Definitely something I will be integrating!