Pack covers?

I bought a Go lite Odyssey new about 2 years ago. I never used it because I had a Badlands already. I plan on using the Odyssey this hunting season and was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a cover. Go lite is developing one but it won't be out until 2013. Camouflage would be preferable but any rain cover suggestions would be appreciated.

muleman

WKR
Second Eberlestock covers, they have several different options of weight and colors.

Chem-E

Lil-Rokslider
i have the heavier, reversible orange/camo, Eberlestock cover. It is pretty sweet. At first I thought it was too bulky, but it's robust enough to be used for other tasks. Its worth the extra weight given its other applications

i have the heavier, reversible orange/camo, Eberlestock cover. It is pretty sweet. At first I thought it was too bulky, but it's robust enough to be used for other tasks. Its worth the extra weight given its other applications

agreed last year when it started raining in the high country if i could tell it wasnt not going to rain for long i wouldnt deal with putting on rain gear just crawled up inside the eberlestock rain cover

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member

I have the same one, I took a boat ride to a coyote spot a few weeks ago. Long story short I threw the rain cover on before we took off & I am glad i did. The waters were rough and my bag would have been SOAKED if I didn't have it on and would have made for a miserable weekend.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have to say, for a packcover, there is a really neat multi-use piece of gear available I picked up: The GoLite Poncho-tarp. It can serve as a poncho rain jacket, pack cover (or both at once), or a tarp shelter with excellent guyout options. On solo trips I could see using it for all of those uses, and leaving the rainjacket at home.

I also have an Eberlestock cover and it works well.

OP
In God We Trust
Thanks guys, I will check out the Eberlestock cover. BB, I checked on the Go lite but the website says they are out of stock. I will e-mail them and ask when more will be available.

Rizzy

WKR
I have to say, for a packcover, there is a really neat multi-use piece of gear available I picked up: The GoLite Poncho-tarp. It can serve as a poncho rain jacket, pack cover (or both at once), or a tarp shelter with excellent guyout options. On solo trips I could see using it for all of those uses, and leaving the rainjacket at home.

I like the idea of using a poncho tarp like that. You could easily whip it out and cover yourself, your pack, and any meat your hauling. I'm surprised more hunters in the lower 48 aren't using the poncho tarp, it's cheaper than a Chugach jacket.

Have you used it in wet weather yet? any problems?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Have you used it in wet weather yet? any problems?

I have only used it in the living room so far :)

I carried it around bear hunting a couple times, but there wasn't enough rain to make it worthwhile to put on. My only concerns are I am sure breathability is non-eixstant, so using it while working hard or for extended periods will get pretty sweaty.

Chem-E

Lil-Rokslider

Oh man!! I already had a great pack cover and now there seems to be a better one! The Agony!

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member

I too use one of these. Its a nice piece of gear, but can't imagine using it w/o my rain jacket. Maybe in a dryer climate it would make sense. ?? It is quite versatile. Great piece of gear for the BOB as well. :)

stephen b

WKR

2nd this advice. I have done exactly the same thing for years with a Integral Designs poncho- great multi-use piece to have in your kit. And I just recently bought that exact GoLite poncho tarp- could not resist because of the great price and since I like that green color a bit more than the grey sil. on the ID one.

I use a poncho as a variety for some or all of the following:

-Primary rain wear; Supplemental rain wear; Emergency rain wear/ shelter; pack cover; primary shelter for light and fast; supplemental shelter/ annex to another small tarp that I have; and as a cooking tarp annex to my other small one man shelter.

Using a poncho for different uses is a prime example of the light weight concept of utilizing one piece of gear for multiple use.

Last edited: