Pack fit and neck pain

Gents, I am experiencing neck soreness while rucking.

I assume it has to do with pack fit?

Or will it subside as I grow accustomed to the weight?

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

What pack? Sounds like the shoulder straps aren’t in the correct position. That Could be from a number of issues causing this.

Last edited:
Reactions: WCB
OP
NYRifleman
Kuiu Icon Pro. Watched the videos, pack set up looks good, load lifter angles appear to be correct.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Where do your frame stays end? For heavy weight you probably need to be at mid ear or above.

Have you had any car wrecks in the past? Clavicle breaks? Chronic issues? There are several things that can cause issues.

It could be you or the pack or how you have the pack adjusted, or how you have the pack weight situated.

Sounds like a fit issue i had the same pack and loaded with 60lbs my beck wouldnt hurt, im 5'10" and had the 24" frame.

WCB

WKR
May sound like a silly question...are you new to backpacking with weight?

I know people that had issues with shoulder, back, neck pain when they first started hunting from a pack and noticed that their posture changes big time one they put weight on. Shoulders hunched forward...neck extended out and forward, but at a stand still the pack look adjusted fine.

OP
NYRifleman
WCB - yes I am.

Need to check the stay height.

I'll keep at it.

Last edited:

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
I noticed with my old pack that I had a lot of neck strain and shoulder tension. Upgraded to an external frame pack vs internal and got a larger range with which to customize the pack for me. It solved my neck and shoulder issues. I went from an eberlestock to a SG xcurve. I put 90lbs in my pack, did the treadmill for 30 minutes every day making one adjustment each day till it was more comfortable than my old pack with half the weight. I’d play around with yours more, the setup videos are good starting points but ultimately everyone is different.

Marble

WKR
If you are new to backpacking, I would carry less and get my pack fitting correctly.

Witha crappy pack, or one that is poorly fit etc. It will never be real comfortable to wear. Get it fitting correctly and reducing the weight will probably do the trick. Then as comfort increases, increase the weight.

Keep in mind that as you loose weight and gain weight you will need to adjust as necessary.

For me, I put my pack on the same way everytime.

Loosen everything, then tighten in the following order:

1. Belt
2. Shoulder straps
3. Load lifters
4. Chest strap

Gents, I am experiencing neck soreness while rucking.

I assume it has to do with pack fit?

Or will it subside as I grow accustomed to the weight?

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.
I started having horrible neck pain and thought it was my lack but it turned out it was my binoculars doing it.

WCB

WKR
WCB - yes I am.

Need to check the stay height.

I'll keep at it.

Really concentrate on maintaining good posture...straight back, head up...etc. I know when I get tired my posture goes to hell and I start feeling it a bit in the upper back and neck. If I just take a second on the trail and concentrate on correct posture I can instantly feel the difference.

hope you get it figured out.

OP
NYRifleman
Went for a couple mile hike this afternoon, even ground while walking the dog.

No pain.

Went tighter on the the waist belt.

Picked the pack up second hand, frame may be a bit too short, stays are below my ears.

Not by a lot, but below nonetheless.

tdot

WKR
I agree with these posture comments. Sometimes when peeps are new to weight on their back I see them drive their head forward, it's a natural reaction to having weight applied to your back. Proper fit helps, core strength helps, but sometimes its just thinking about relaxing through your neck and shoulders. Maintaining a strong natural posture.