WTB Pack for 1st Elk Hunt

Hamp1127

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I will be going on my very 1st Elk hunt this year. I'm trying to buy the things I need a month at a time. I posted yesterday about hunting boots and thought I might as well post for the pack as well. I have $200 to spend on a pack. I know that's not a lot of money but that's what I have. I don't really care about stains as much as I care about functionality. Let me know if you might have something I'd be interested in. Thanks

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would look for a used high quality pack before a new one in that price range. I only have experience with 3 packs. A 2009 badlands 2200 (a 2 strap before they replaced them with 3 in the back), a 3 strap badlands 2200, and a 2020 MR Sawtooth 45. IME--keep your eye out for a used mystery ranch. For me there was no comparison on meat hauling and overall function. The MR is built to last.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OP
Hamp1127

Hamp1127

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I would look for a used high quality pack before a new one in that price range. I only have experience with 3 packs. A 2009 badlands 2200 (a 2 strap before they replaced them with 3 in the back), a 3 strap badlands 2200, and a 2020 MR Sawtooth 45. IME--keep your eye out for a used mystery ranch. For me there was no comparison on meat hauling and overall function. The MR is built to last.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Thank you for taking the time to be kind. I appreciate the useful information. I know it will be tough to find something in this price range. I love the reviews on the Mystery Ranch and obviously it would be my first choice, but my budget is my budget. Any other tips for the upcoming hunt would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
U can get a good USMC ilbe gen 2 pack system for under that. Designed by arcteryx? Tough as nails. Maybe 2 pounds heavier than the mentioned packs but u can trim a good 12 ounces off it, there are lots of guides to trim it on web.

I used one in the USMC, so I like it. Only thing that really needs to be replaced is the belt. it leaves alot to be desired. I am testing a Hill people gear prairie belt now, big improvement.

U can find a used pack system for 100 or so. Belt is 100.

You will never wear the pack out.

Good luck.

OP
Hamp1127

Hamp1127

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
U can get a good USMC ilbe gen 2 pack system for under that. Designed by arcteryx? Tough as nails. Maybe 2 pounds heavier than the mentioned packs but u can trim a good 12 ounces off it, there are lots of guides to trim it on web.

I used one in the USMC, so I like it. Only thing that really needs to be replaced is the belt. it leaves alot to be desired. I am testing a Hill people gear prairie belt now, big improvement.

U can find a used pack system for 100 or so. Belt is 100.

You will never wear the pack out.

Good luck.
I appreciate the information. I will be looking into this pack for sure. Thanks again.

Robbo857

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I have a Slumberjack Bounty ($100) and a Badlands 2200 ($175) that I've been thinking about off-loading. The Bounty was used 1 season and packed out 1 mule deer and the Badlands was used for day trips. Let me know if you have any interest or shoot me a message.

Firehawk

WKR
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I packed out several animals with a Badlands 2200. It was functional and treated me well. That pack owed me nothing. That said, I eventually went with an EXO mountain pack and it was an entirely different scenario. That pack was definitely made to haul meat and it was obvious quickly once the weight was serious. You probably won't find one for $200, but you might find a good quality Gen 1 EXO for not a whole lot more than you have budgeted. That was my first one and it was terrific. I now have the "K2" version and it is very good as well. That said, the Gen 1 version is legitimately a great pack.

If you can find a good MR pack in that range price wise, it will be a good option too.

Best of luck. I hope you find what you are looking for.

CObywayofUSAF

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe there is one with good reviews, somethings like "alps commander Z" or something of that nature. Think you can get it on Amazon. I'll try and find the link.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
x3 for badlands 2200. It can be uncomfortable with heavy loads, but you wont be able to tell the difference until you feel a higher quality pack. Can always get a cheaper pack and a separate frame to switch to when you haul meat.

I dont know if they changed the system, but the alps commander frames have loud clanky pins on them. If you go down that path for hunting then I'd recommend changing the pins out.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
How do you usually hunt? I bought and sold quite a few packs in that range of price trying to find a decent one but never was happy once I had meat on my back. I I was to do it again I would have bought a good frame used like kifaru or stone glacier and used it with a lashing system and a dry bag for a year and then bought a bag the next year. You’ll probally have to spend an extra $50-$75 but it’ll be well worth it in the long run. I would have for gone up grading a lot of things I put first like clothes, guns, and bows if I had known how big of a difference a quality pack makes. I’d put a good pack in front of everything else for archery elk hunting. Any other hunting first would be optics and then a pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
How do you usually hunt? I bought and sold quite a few packs in that range of price trying to find a decent one but never was happy once I had meat on my back. I I was to do it again I would have bought a good frame used like kifaru or stone glacier and used it with a lashing system and a dry bag for a year and then bought a bag the next year. You’ll probally have to spend an extra $50-$75 but it’ll be well worth it in the long run. I would have for gone up grading a lot of things I put first like clothes, guns, and bows if I had known how big of a difference a quality pack makes. I’d put a good pack in front of everything else for archery elk hunting. Any other hunting first would be optics and then a pack.

this is a very valid point.

mtntop

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd suggest try doing a WTB here. Include your specs on size of fit, frame style, and pack capacity you want. Include $ budget. Never let the brand of gear squeeze your ability to make a trip happen. I've used quite a few different packs and none of em feel great with excessive weight in em. Pain is temporary! Packs imo I've used you can probably find in your budget are eberlestock, horn hunter, MR, slumberjack. Even used a osprey one year on a deer. Good luck.

Badseed

WKR
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you could save up a little more money you can get a significantly better pack. Keep your eyes open for sales and first time customer discounts. I was able to get a mystery ranch sawtooth pack for $289 brand new last year. The pack is built like a tank and feels great when loaded up. I cant speak to the higher end bags but I can’t imagine how you could find a better load hauling pack.

OP
Hamp1127

Hamp1127

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
If you could save up a little more money you can get a significantly better pack. Keep your eyes open for sales and first time customer discounts. I was able to get a mystery ranch sawtooth pack for $289 brand new last year. The pack is built like a tank and feels great when loaded up. I cant speak to the higher end bags but I can’t imagine how you could find a better load hauling pack.

Thank you! I am definitely getting a lot of great feedback. I appreciate you.