Pack for a BIG dude

Burke970

FNG
Hey guys, I've been "lurking" here for about a year and I've always been able to find the answers I need with the search. Now I've got a question for a buddy and I'm not finding any answers.

This is the typical "what pack do you recommend" question, with one complication. My buddy is 6'9", 360lbs, 50 inch waist.

I really like mystery ranch, and they are a great deal with their law enforcement discount (for which we both qualify.) I use a Beartooth and recommended he go with a Marshall but he tried one in an L/LX and it didn't fit. He likes the features of the MR, so something similar would be good. If anyone can comment on an xxl option from MR that'd be awesome. Pack will be used for Colorado backpack elk hunts and mule deer day hunts.

Thanks in advance for the help. I know this is an awesome crew here, just based on all the great info I've gotten without ever even having to ask a question until now.
-burke

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
A Seek Outside frame might be able to be extended enough to give him some lift at the shoulders. It is pretty easy to fit other pack bags on the frame (the SO bags are pretty minimalist).

I would give them a call and ask. Measure his torso length beforehand as that matters more than hight.

mlgc20

WKR
I believe Mystery Ranch has a custom department where they will build packs for folks outside their normal sizes. If he doesn’t need a hunting specific pack, some of the Osprey packs might work. I have an Osprey Atmos 65. I’m a big guy (though not as big as your friend). And i don’t use nearly all of the adjustability on the Osprey. I think the hip belt goes out to something like 53 inches. Aren’t many packs that will naturally accommodate a 50+ inch waist.

Hey guys, I've been "lurking" here for about a year and I've always been able to find the answers I need with the search. Now I've got a question for a buddy and I'm not finding any answers.

This is the typical "what pack do you recommend" question, with one complication. My buddy is 6'9", 360lbs, 50 inch waist.

I really like mystery ranch, and they are a great deal with their law enforcement discount (for which we both qualify.) I use a Beartooth and recommended he go with a Marshall but he tried one in an L/LX and it didn't fit. He likes the features of the MR, so something similar would be good. If anyone can comment on an xxl option from MR that'd be awesome. Pack will be used for Colorado backpack elk hunts and mule deer day hunts.

Thanks in advance for the help. I know this is an awesome crew here, just based on all the great info I've gotten without ever even having to ask a question until now.
-burke

Call MR and they may have larger yokes and waist belts. But at your friends height the MR packs are still probably too short to give him enough load lifter height.

My son is 6’5 with a 23” torso and I own a Glacier. It doesn’t have enough lift for him and anything over 50 lbs causes pin and needles into his hands. I have the same pack with a 21” torso and I can comfortably carry 75lbs. I also have a Terraframe 50 which has the same frame as the hunting packs and it fits my son but barely.

You need to measure his torso. I suspect the MR Guidelight MT frame may be too short. He would probably be better with a taller frame. Something 26” or taller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

Burke970

FNG
I appreciate everyone's feedback. For an update, he measured his torso at 24". I've passed on to him all the suggestions and he'll be following up with the recommended companies.

I have always used a Mystery Ranch Metcalf and it is an amazing pack, many deer have been packed out while on it and the pack has stood up to the abuse. Would definitely recommend!