Pack for a large frame

My hunting partner is looking for a new pack. He is 6’4” with wide shoulders and a barrel chest. Looking for a high volume pack to pack into a caribou spike camp. He has some cabellas gift cards burning a hole in his pocket but would consider any options.

Lots of posts on here about various packs that would work for his purposes. Unfortunately, the best packs aren't sold at Cabela's, Sportsman's or other retail outlets. Unsure of your location, but being able to try a pack on is key to choosing one, which leaves you with two options, ask local hunters you know to see if they have a pack you're interested in that they'd be willing to let you use for a test hike or purchase a pack for a test and then return if you're not happy with it. I own large volume packs (6500+ cubic inches) from Kifaru, Stone Glacier, and Exo (all 3 made in the USA) and am very happy with all of them, they pack well, carry well and when empty, can be cinched down to the point they're like a standard day pack.

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with couesbitten, the best packs aren't sold at any of the big box retailers. I'll throw out a suggestion of Seek Outside packs. They're system is very flexible in fitting people.

OP
B
Lots of posts on here about various packs that would work for his purposes. Unfortunately, the best packs aren't sold at Cabela's, Sportsman's or other retail outlets. Unsure of your location, but being able to try a pack on is key to choosing one, which leaves you with two options, ask local hunters you know to see if they have a pack you're interested in that they'd be willing to let you use for a test hike or purchase a pack for a test and then return if you're not happy with it. I own large volume packs (6500+ cubic inches) from Kifaru, Stone Glacier, and Exo (all 3 made in the USA) and am very happy with all of them, they pack well, carry well and when empty, can be cinched down to the point they're like a standard day pack.
All good points, sometimes hard to find time for stuff like that. He was looking at getting an Alps pack from Cabela's for $499 and I thought he could get better quality in that price range.

Blacksheep, if you and/or your buddy are in AK and are in Anchorage, Barney's Sports Chalet is one of the few retailers that carries a selection of packs from Kifaru, Frontier Gear and perhaps some others. It would definitely be a good place to visit so that you could lay your hands on some of these elusive packs. I agree with you 100% on the Alps pack, for $500, there are much better options available. My Stone Glacier pack system and my Kifaru frame were both purchased from the Rokslide classifieds. I use a 26" kifaru frame, so that 28" frame that thinhorn_AK offered up sounds like a great deal for your buddy.

I think Kifaru will make a 28” frame for you if you call and ask? I’m not sure if it’s only the tactical or if they’ll make a duplex lite. My understanding is that the only different is the venting in the back? the duplex lite is open between the stays, the tactical is not.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
What made you switch? i am doing the opposite and moving from SG to Kifaru. Would love to hear why you switched.

Lots of things but off the top of my head, kifaru just dosent make a bag I like, I also had a pretty bad experience buying From Kifaru and now, Kifaru a prices are astronomical.

LukeHalli

FNG
Lots of things but off the top of my head, kifaru just dosent make a bag I like, I also had a pretty bad experience buying From Kifaru and now, Kifaru a prices are astronomical.
I appreciate the honesty. Was it more the bag and not the frame for Kifaru, or would you say the frame also didn't work as well as you were hoping?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I appreciate the honesty. Was it more the bag and not the frame for Kifaru, or would you say the frame also didn't work as well as you were hoping?

Both the Kifaru and the SG frames work for me, I like the way the SG bags pack down when empty and the weight savings over Kifaru. I’ve just never thought Kifaru was all that great, never personally understood the obsession some guys have with that company.

I think several years ago, options were more limited but now there are several companies that are as good or better. And again, now a Kifaru frame is well over 400.00…

LukeHalli

FNG
Both the Kifaru and the SG frames work for me, I like the way the SG bags pack down when empty and the weight savings over Kifaru. I’ve just never thought Kifaru was all that great, never personally understood the obsession some guys have with that company.

I think several years ago, options were more limited but now there are several companies that are as good or better. And again, now a Kifaru frame is well over 400.00…
I gotcha man. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.