Pack for coast- X-Pack or Cordura

Brightside

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt 30-40 days a year here on the coast of Oregon. This includes 2-3 multi-day trips up to 5 days. I have been using an Eberlestock F1 MF with Batwings and on multi-day trips, a Mystery Ranch Drybag sandwiched. This was my first pack for this purpose and after 5 years and many miles I really have few complaints about the system. But this year I turned 40 and after packing out a bear, I realized there may be a better system. I caught myself wondering about a possible upgrade. Reasons being comfort (does it get a lot better), waterproof ability and I just think it might be nice to have one main organized bag than 3 under straps. When it rains, the batwings soak through quickly.

I am curious what others on here may think about the need for a waterproof pack (like a Muskeg) over a trash bag in cordura, the comfort of other packs compared to Eberlestock, and if modular pack setups are more work than a single organized bag (I like SG5900, Kuiu LT5500, Kifaru Hoodlum for examples). I feel like the Muskeg could use more organization. Add a guide lid and its better but now were talking almost $450 pack only and its basically a drybag with a zipper. Any opinions appreciated!

look at seek outside too. i hunted half of the year with a SO peregrine this year, their frame didn't work for me, but a cool system if it did. if you go that route, make sure you seam seal, because i still had water get in mine, and it stayed in. that to me was more annoying than soaking my EXO. i'm just sticking with cordura, it's not a big deal, and if it was i would just get one of the dry bags that snaps into my EXO, but it's just not that big of a deal to me. i keep things dry that need to stay dry, and not worry about it from there.

the x-pac material is cool, but i won't go out of my way to use it. cordura is fine for me.

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
Exo with a dry bag works great
The dry bags are really nice, but they do kind of defeat the purpose of the horseshoe zipper if using a 4800. If you plan to go this route, I would recommend you just size up in an Exo pack to the 6400.

You can also save a bit of money but just throwing a heavy duty plastic bag into your pack instead of buying the exo dry bag (but I bought the dry bag).

OP
Brightside

Brightside

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies! Anyone have an opinion on any comfort I would be gaining by moving away from the Eberlestock F1? Until recently I didn't realize they were considered a subpar pack maker. The price was right and it worked but if I could gain in the comfort dept I would do it!

It would seem the trash bag method would be a pain and a drybag would make more sense. I like the organization of multiple pockets but having a $600+ pack with 8 trash bags is weird. Putting a drybag in the Exo kinda eliminates the need for the exterior bag I'd think?. Anybody run (or wear) a Kifaru frame with drybag and X-pac GL? Is the Kifaru a good leap in comfort?

Are pack rain covers better at keeping water out than they look? Seems it would get in between the frame and pack pretty easily.

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies! Anyone have an opinion on any comfort I would be gaining by moving away from the Eberlestock F1? Until recently I didn't realize they were considered a subpar pack maker. The price was right and it worked but if I could gain in the comfort dept I would do it!

It would seem the trash bag method would be a pain and a drybag would make more sense. I like the organization of multiple pockets but having a $600+ pack with 8 trash bags is weird. Putting a drybag in the Exo kinda eliminates the need for the exterior bag I'd think?. Anybody run (or wear) a Kifaru frame with drybag and X-pac GL? Is the Kifaru a good leap in comfort?

Are pack rain covers better at keeping water out than they look? Seems it would get in between the frame and pack pretty easily.
You can make almost any bag work on any frame. For my experience, I have no issues with SG X-curve, Exo K2 or K3, and Seek Outside Revolution Frame. I've never had a Kifaru.

I used a couple subpar packs in previous years when just getting into it, and while you can do it, your body will hate you a lot less in any of the above frames.

The frame will change comfort a lot more than the bag.

You and I are in the same predicament, I’m doing the kifaru route personally and for me it’s between a muskeg and a crater for my do it all north coast bc pack.
I was told not to sub a true rain cover for even xpac, though I do run a dry bag for everything up here.

I was told by kifaru to wait until the spring to see their new reveal as I have discussed going between a crater and muskeg along with my geographic location.

good luck

OP
Brightside

Brightside

Lil-Rokslider
You and I are in the same predicament, I’m doing the kifaru route personally and for me it’s between a muskeg and a crater for my do it all north coast bc pack.
I was told not to sub a true rain cover for even xpac, though I do run a dry bag for everything up here.

I was told by kifaru to wait until the spring to see their new reveal as I have discussed going between a crater and muskeg along with my geographic location.

good luck
I am looking hard at the Kifaru frame with a drybag and lid, rain cover for good measure. I will stay tuned for the new offering but out of principle, I'm not paying $350 for a zippered drybag with slim organization. Then buy pullouts, ditty bags etc to make up for it and still have not a place to put a spotter. I realize that the coastal rain hunting group isn't the main target of most manufacturers but geesh, what limited options for the predicament. If a Hoodlum or 44 mag had an X- Pac front (side nearest the frame), a simple rain cover with drain holes would make more sense.

Make an xpac crater or fulcrum could be an interesting pack setup. If I don’t like the springs addition I’ll buy a crater and call it good.

Pierrebuiltknives

Lil-Rokslider
I used the OR dry bag or a barel innthe past. Recently got this 70lt basically dry bag and will be using it with my kifaru frame for backpacking and canoeing.

Rugid big stone.
The price I felt was pretty reasonable. 20210106_141130.jpg
I will be taking this out winter camping next week.

20210105_143936.jpg20210105_143912.jpg20210105_163357.jpg

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
I used the OR dry bag or a barel innthe past. Recently got this 70lt basically dry bag and will be using it with my kifaru frame for backpacking and canoeing.

Rugid big stone.
The price I felt was pretty reasonable.
I will be taking this out winter camping next week.
That duffel looks nice. Looks like it would be great for ice fishing or winter camping. How do you like it and does it hold up in cold?

Pierrebuiltknives

Lil-Rokslider
That duffel looks nice. Looks like it would be great for ice fishing or winter camping. How do you like it and does it hold up in cold?
So the owner of the company happens to live in my town. I redo older car interiors.

I met him thru that. After talking he told me he had that company. I looked on their site and reached out to buy.

He offered me to test them as I am doing a expensive job for him.

Full disclosure.

I took it on a winter campout. Worked really reallt well. The zipper is slightly stiff but it is a scuba zipper. Personally for what I do keeping everything dry is #1.

On the site it states a 5 year warrenty.

My buddie who is a gear whore will be testing the 90lt. He has some other models coming out.

So far I am impressed. The only thing I would do is maybe cut off some of the extra straps.

I like dropping my bag at camp and having my frame to do work and have my satalite bag.

The plus of this over dry bags is they sit flat and are tougher IMO.

madcalfe

WKR
pretty much any brand of backpack will be better than a eberlestock
kifaru, stone galcier, seek outside, new kuiu backpacks, exo and they all get wet you have to be using a rain fly.

OP
Brightside

Brightside

Lil-Rokslider
Kifaru frame and 44 mag coming monday! Couldn't help it, I like the organization and clamshell opening. Going to run a rain cover, good dwr and hope it works. If not, I will cave and get a Muskeg...

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheRealGerman