Pack for the wife

I’m wanting to by a small day pack for my wife. Will a regular pack not specifically made for a woman adjust to fit? Particularly the chest area? My pack isn’t anywhere close to her size so it would be hard to tell. What’s everyone else’s experience with this?

RGARNER

Lil-Rokslider
We have an "extra small" frame and pack system that works great for ladies, youth, and small-statured guys: https://exomtngear.com/exs

Give us a shout directly if we can answer any questions.
I have tried Exo, MR, SG, and Kifaru....For me, Exo is the way to go by a long shot. By far the most comfortable pack I have used and my wife loves to carry it as well. I had a MR that I put the women's specific yoke on for her and is still wasn't comfortable to her. She is 5'4" athletic build and 140 lbs. for reference.

As a woman who tried on a ridiculous amount of packs before settling on a Deuter Trail SL (and then a Gregory Maya, and then a Deuter Aircontact...), it really depends - backpack fit is such a tricky thing! All of my framed packs happen to be the women's models, but that's just because they fit me best - if the regular models fit me better, I would've gone with them instead. Best advice I can give is stop by a REI or wherever and go to town trying on everything.

Marble

WKR
My wife likes her Kifaru duplex lite in 24". It's very comfortable for her. As soon as she figured out how to properly put it on and adjust it she was in love with it. She fairly large chested, 5'5" and athletically built. She hasn't carried a heavy load in it yet.

She has had several of the lower end packs and they were not nearly as comfortable.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

AKEK

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Our frame and pack is very adjustable and should fit her comfortably. The front strap can be adjusted up and down to help with the chest area. We offer a 30 day money back so give one a try! If you don't like it just return it.

Another pack to consider is Stone Glacier, they are highly adjustable. My wife was able to adjust the Krux frame to her size.

mstei4

Lil-Rokslider
As far as frames packs, I’d echo what @gosailthesea said. My wife knew what pack she wanted, but we went and she tried on a variety of different packs with weight in them, and ended up with a different pack entirely that she now loves. Fit is so important, and personal, with these that you have to try stuff on. *As a note this was for a purely backpacking pack not a high load hunting pack, for a pack like that it would be even more important to have perfect fit.

If you’re just talking about a lightweight daypack (e.g. Osprey type bag), most anything can be adjusted to work, at least from my experience. Still, getting to a place to try them on is never the wrong choice

OP
Newtexican
My wife likes her Kifaru duplex lite in 24". It's very comfortable for her. As soon as she figured out how to properly put it on and adjust it she was in love with it. She fairly large chested, 5'5" and athletically built. She hasn't carried a heavy load in it yet.

She has had several of the lower end packs and they were not nearly as comfortable.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
That’s describes my wife’s build. She put mine on to walk on the treadmill. It was in no way adjusted for her but she said the strap across the chest was the most uncomfortable thing she had ever felt. That’s when I realized I was gonna have to put more thought into buying her a pack.

Last edited:
Well, I would have to say my wife is NOT “fairly large chested”. She did pack out portions of 7 different elk with her Pop Up last year and several bulls in 2020 with it as well. Getting a pack truly adjusted and fitted is crucial when you’re putting on the miles and/or the weight.

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
My wife really likes her Stone Glacier 3300. Remarks about how well it fits all the time. She would be first to tell you it is all about fit and getting it correct. SG can help w that.