Pack for wife

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
The mrs is wanting to go hunting this year. So id say 95% just be day hunts. She might do a mid season 1 night.. eh.
But now she does enjoy hiking and car camping alot in summer.
She's 5'8" curvy. Mostly just be hunt gear . Layers. But id be good if had enough room for a sleeping bag. Doesn't need external frame. If she killed something I'd be pack mule. Be good though if it hold 30-40 pounds(make her carry some the meat). I don't think she could hike with more than that.
Inwas thinking the top choiceSG kiowa 3200( but would it be too big)
SG avail and Kifaru Shapecharge. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Our 20” frame and Bullion Butte might work. I’m 5’’8” (although not curvy except for some middle age “survival supplies” just above the belt) and use it as a day pack. A 30 pound load is easy, and 40 is plenty doable for a while. A 22” backboard is in the works also to handle the higher end of that weight range for small adults.

As discussed elsewhere on here, women’s shapes are difficult to accommodate, but you appear to have realistic expectations of loads. Women are smart enough to avoid crazy loads anyway.

EmperorMA

WKR
I would take a hard look at this:

Mystery Ranch Women's Pop Up 28

It will hold all of her layers and any gear and snacks she might need for a day hunt plus a sleeping bag, if necessary. It is not a big, 150 lb-carrying frame but it will handle a deer quarter just fine.

Maverick1

WKR
Best pack for the Wife? Suitcase. ?

Just kidding. We had good luck with a women’s internal frame from Kelty. Seemed to fit much better than most of the other packs, hunting-specific brands included.

Kifaru Shapecharge is what my daughter use’s and sounds perfect for what you describe. Also i bought a belt for it so i can use , very easy to swap out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
Never really looked at mystery ranch.
Honestly the pop up looks a little gimmicky at first glance.
Is MR usa made too? I hope so since Its same price range as sg and kifaru
How.would you compare the the MR pop up 28 the SG avail, and the kifaru shape charge?

Marble

WKR
I got my wife a 44 mag on the 24" frame and she loves it. She will actually carry her own gear in. But she does use it as a day pack too. Probably a little more than what you are looking for. But the organization of it is what she likes. Lots of pockets for her to put all of her stuff she carries that she doesn't need... make up... blah blah blah. Got to look good for the gram lol.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

If you are not set on a load shelf, for that kind of weight (40 lbs) I would look at some of the non-hunting brand backpacking packs built for women. Deuter makes good quality packs and their women-specific packs are still plenty good for 40 lbs. My wife has 2 Deuter women's packs and she thinks they are more comfortable with 30 lbs that any of my packs (Stone Glacier 5900, MR 6500, and Kifaru bikini)

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
If you are not set on a load shelf, for that kind of weight (40 lbs) I would look at some of the non-hunting brand backpacking packs built for women. Deuter makes good quality packs and their women-specific packs are still plenty good for 40 lbs. My wife has 2 Deuter women's packs and she thinks they are more comfortable with 30 lbs that any of my packs (Stone Glacier 5900, MR 6500, and Kifaru bikini)
What model she use?

PNWGATOR

WKR
Sitka Women’s Mountain 2700 meets all of your requirements and has a waist belt that actually is designed to fit women. HIGHLY recommend your wife tries it prior to making her final decision. If they made this pack in a true multi day pack it’d be a seller for sure.

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
The more i look at the pop up28 i like it. But $300+ for an overseas pack. I dunno. It would have to be really hard to buy that over an American made SG or Kifaru at the same price

Last edited:

Laned

WKR
Mountainsmith also makes good ergonomic women-specific packs. That's the only one that doesn't tear up my wife's hips. But, your mileage may vary. Finding a good pack that fits right is like finding the right pair of boots. To find the best one, just have to try a bunch on with some weight.

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using Tapatalk

What model she use?

Sent from my SM-J327VPP usin

What model she use?

Giantgreg,
She has 2 packs, a Deuter ACT Lite 60+10 L SL pack, Sierra Trading has it on sale right now for $119.
Deuter ACT Lite 60+10 SL Backpack (For Women) - Save 33% (sierra.com)

She also has a Deuter Futura Pro 34 SL pack for day hikes, right now the cheapest i saw on sale is $85 on the link below.
Deuter Futura Pro 34 SL Pack - Mountain Steals

I love my SG 5900 and 7900 and carried a MR 6500 pack for multiple deployments overseas and Deuter doesn't compare with SG, MR, of Kifaru for packing heavy weight or toughness but if you are talking about an affordable pack designed specifically for women to carry up to 50 lbs comfortably, they are one of the best deals out there, especially at those prices on those links.

lkwoolsey

WKR
The mrs is wanting to go hunting this year. So id say 95% just be day hunts. She might do a mid season 1 night.. eh.
But now she does enjoy hiking and car camping alot in summer.
She's 5'8" curvy. Mostly just be hunt gear . Layers. But id be good if had enough room for a sleeping bag. Doesn't need external frame. If she killed something I'd be pack mule. Be good though if it hold 30-40 pounds(make her carry some the meat). I don't think she could hike with more than that.
Inwas thinking the top choiceSG kiowa 3200( but would it be too big)
SG avail and Kifaru Shapecharge. Any suggestions?

If she's not going to be packing more than 30-40#, i would just look at a regular backpacking/ mountaineering pack. Usually quite a bit cheaper, and more than capable of carrying anything she would need (I even packed elk out in them before...) Most mountaineering/ backpacking companies are making women-specific packs, with straps and belts shaped the right way for women. My wife really likes her North Face Terra, she usually ends up just taking that. Just my two cents. Osprey, Gregory, are both awesome, and they do a lot of mil/leo/ even teacher discounts, so if you/ her/ a buddy qualifies, it ends up being pretty inexpensive for a first pack/ high quality pack. Osprey has a 100% lifetime guarantee on all packs, doesn't matter what happens to it, they fix or replace it, forever.

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
You all Made some good points. I think. Wil look at a backpacking style for now.
If she wants something like the pop up. Or SG kifaru down the road we can do that.

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
Are their any companies that have bad CS or require it regularly?

Laned

WKR
Not that I know of from most of the companies identified in this thread. Most of the pack companies have at least pretty good CS. I know, personally, that at least Seek Outside, Kifaru, and Mountainsmith have excellent CS. But, I don't have experience with the others. So, I'm sure others do too. At least Seek Outside, Kifaru, Mountainsmith, and Osprey are here in Colorado, as well as Deuter's US headquarters. Stone Glacier and Mystery Ranch are in Montana. If you're near any of these, (depending on their current pandemic protocols) you could stop in to their front office/local store.

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using Tapatalk