Pack/Gear Failure

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was going through some photos and laughed when I found this!!!

It's a long story, but on this hunt I had a smaller pack (1,800 CI) and my partner (he shot the bull) had a 4500 CI pack. Anyway, I gave him my pack and took his so we could get back to the truck in one trip.

The shoulder straps ended up ripping off the pack during the hike out and I had to hold onto both of them with my hands to keep it on my back....it sucked.

Who else has had "epic" gear failures in the field? Give us the story!

IMG_2219.jpg

Lawnboi

WKR
Not a pack failure but i did have a water filter fail me. 8 miles back on the second day of my hunt, and it didnt help that it was a whole week of record high temps (90+ degrees in mid october). I was in the badlands/prairie so of course the only water source was a pond full of cow ****. Good thing i had drops to purify. That week i got really used to closing my eyes and just drinking the floaters.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Ya, Keep..... if I could have found the sewer from Asia that built that pack I would have choked the shizzle out of him!

Had what looks to be the same pack do the same thing on me. I cut a hole in the top of it and "sewed" the strap back on with paracord. It also looks like you were carrying more weight than I was at the time.

Had a tent fail on me and my partner on the first day of a hunt. I think we would have been drier if we had been outside in the rain storm, it made for a miserable couple of days till we could get everything dried out.

I've also had a water filter die on me, but it really wasn't too big of a deal. I used drops to purify and a t shirt for a filter. More of an inconvenience than anything else.

Oh yeah, had a headlamp give out on me on a packout about 2 miles out. Luckily I was on a fairly well established trail so I just took it real slow and made sure I "hugged" the mountainside.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Oh yeah, had a headlamp give out on me on a packout about 2 miles out. Luckily I was on a fairly well established trail so I just took it real slow and made sure I "hugged" the mountainside.

hahaha,

I have had that happen a couple times. Now i take two headlamps every time. Broke a filter once too.

cmeier117

WKR
Haha... I can take a guess... I will zoom in on the photo and figure it out...

How much do you think the pack weighed at least?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I had a Katadyn hiker pro fail on me after only filtering maybe 10 gallons. Handle just snapped right off.

No pack failures, but a certain pack I used to pack caribou out 12 miles one year was WAY brutal to use once I took the packbag off and just use the frame as a load hauler, only used the pack with the packbag after that.

I had my daypack strap completely bust off midway through a 10 day hunt. Paracord to the rescue! The mfg fixed it free of charge.

I had a Katadyn hiker pro fail on me after only filtering maybe 10 gallons. Handle just snapped right off.

No pack failures, but a certain pack I used to pack caribou out 12 miles one year was WAY brutal to use once I took the packbag off and just use the frame as a load hauler, only used the pack with the packbag after that.

We had a hiker pro do the same thing to us last year in the brooks. Luckily we were on our way back to our strip side base camp for a resupply and I had a new in box MSR hyperflow there.

I bet I know what pack that was ;)

I have a few others...

The button on a set of sitka mountain pants came off way back in the hills the second day of a 5 day hunt and left me a bit exposed! Was rough for a while till I melted some 550 cord into a replacement button. It turned out pretty cool and was dang near good as new. Unfortunately the crotch and and one leg seam both blew out before the 5 day hunt was over.

Broken belt buckle on a $600 dollar pack the first day of a sheep hunt. It held the rest of the hunt but I wasn't able to get it tight enough to be comfortable without it popping back open.

Set of leather "hunting boots" that held water in better than it kept it out. Muck boots that kill my toes when walking down hill.

I am sure there are others if I really thought about it.

Above Timber

Lil-Rokslider
Aron is that the cow elk you were talking about at the bow shop last week. I would have taken my pack back and made my hunting partner carry his own broken pack out.