Pack Goats and Bad Weather?

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
Been working with some pack goats and it's been going pretty well, but given I am relatively new to goats I am not sure how tolerate they are of bad weather.

So pack goat people, what conditions that concern you and what do you do about it?

34 deg and rain?
below 10 deg F?
Bring a tarp for them so they have a dry place to sleep if it's pissing cold rain?

For reference the goats I am working with are about 125lbs.

Last edited:
Yep always pack a tarp, they are pretty hardy animals but keeping them dry in the wet/cold is important. Also, if it gets really bad, there are companies that make "goat coats" similar to a horse, but I have never used them.

Huntnnw

WKR
Always pack a tarp for wind,rain,snow and sunshine. Cold isnt a huge factor unless its super cold. We live in a pretty cold area with snow on the ground for 5 months out of the year and some goats will sleep outside all night versus going in barn.

OP
S

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys I appreciate it.

If you hike all day in the wet, and they get soaked. Other than putting up a tarp so they are out of the rain/snow for the night is there anything else you do to "get them dry"?

Glad to hear they are pretty cold tolerant, but out of curiosity what do you guys consider "super cold"? Negative temps?

Thanks guys I appreciate it.

If you hike all day in the wet, and they get soaked. Other than putting up a tarp so they are out of the rain/snow for the night is there anything else you do to "get them dry"?

Glad to hear they are pretty cold tolerant, but out of curiosity what do you guys consider "super cold"? Negative temps?
I don't do anything to "dry" them. But, when I hi-line them, I set them close enough to each other that 2 can "snuggle" when its colder.... That's a fine line though between giving them enough line that they can touch and too much line so they don't get tangled.

I consider negative temps getting cold for the goats...

I’ve had my goats in 17 degrees and blowing 20mph with goat coats on. They Survived fine, shivered a little. Keeping goats dry is huge deal, if they do get wet you have to make sure they have a wind break! Goats are very susceptible to pneumonia when they get wet and cold. You have to remember they are equipped to live outside in all conditions, there animals.
Matt