Pack gun holder

Vandy321

WKR
I carried a 10lb rifle on a pretty heavy kifaru crater for 1st rifle, covered probably 30 miles or so over the hunt. Had rifle in a kifaru gun bearer on right side, offset by a spotter in the left pocket and a tripod on the left outside.

I may very well be be the only one to say this, and it's just my opinion, but I absolutely hated the gun bearer. 10+lbs on the hip belt felt excessive, a 26" barrel was always in my face, those hawk hill talon bipod feet were a constant risk of stabbing me in the face if I'd have slipped. The strap, while it held tight, was a pain in the butt to secure in single digits with cold fingers and gloves as well.

For 4th season, on the way in and out at dark, I moved the butt piece of the gun bearer to the right side of my pack (not the belt) and secured the rifle with the horizontal tension straps. During daylight hours, I'd rather hand carry the rifle with a trekking pole in the other hand, than have it in that gun bearer under my arm. The bipod stabbing me in the face on a fall was probably my biggest concern, but even when I took bipod off and put it in a pocket, it still was not my ideal way to carry the rifle.

Joekidd

FNG
Just wanted to see what everyone is using for carrying your rifles on your pack. Looking for something that works good, easy to use and deploys rifle quickly. Ive seen a few different ones online, and the Kifaru gun bearer looks appealing to me, except the fact it rides under your arm. Thanks everyone!
I've heard good things about the sg system

tdot

WKR
I use both the Gun Bearer and the SG system on different packs. They are both great.

But on a multi day hunt, I'll run the gun bearer, along with the SG top strap. Then on the main hike it is strapped behind me, but still accessible. When I am setup and in day hunt mode, it swings around and is in front of me on the Gun Bearer top strap. I find the Gun Bearer faster to get into a shooting position. I also prefer the Gun Bearer bottom as I can more consistently remove the stock from it, though the SG is 90% as good and alot lighter. Best of both worlds!

Squamch

WKR
I like the gun bearer, but...I have had one small issue with it.
Riding my dirtbike in one morning to hike in and check trail cams, out of season, I pulled up on the bars and transferred weight back to go through a washout. I was packing my bear f*cker-offer, an 18" barrel 870 with a rifle sight. It smashed me in the nose with GUSTO. Lesson learned, and it's still better than having the shotgun strapped to the back of my pack to catch branches.

My wife and I both use the Gunslinger Corrals. They work pretty well and are a good way to get the pack carrying some weight, but keeps the barrel out of your face.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twodogs

FNG
I've used the Kifaru gun bearer for years. I love that thing! I despised walking around the woods with my arm holding my rifle sling so it wouldn't slip off my shoulder. The gun bearer also means that I can use treking poles; they really help with climbing (and they double as my shooting sticks).

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
What will work best on a MR pack? I've seen horrible reviews on MR's option.