Pack help! MR vs Kifaru

ktran

FNG
I'm new to rokslide so trying to obtain privileges by posting more. I also know this question has been asked in a million places so I figured I'd try to be more specific.

I've got my first hunting trip out west in Nebraska coming up. I'm looking at a new (or used) pack. Currently running an Eberlestock Dragonfly J107 and it's getting pretty beat up. I've been recommended the Kifaru Duplex Lite frame with Stryker XL frame several times, but that price tag is steep and I know if you buy quality, you won't have to buy as often. I've also been looking at the Mystery Ranch Beartooth 80. Figured I can fold down extra space I don't need. I also do one to two BWCA trips a year so having a bigger pack would be used for that too. What I mainly want is a pack that can haul meat closer to the body and both seem to do that. The thing I don't like about my Eberlestock is there's a rifle pouch between the pack and straps. I mostly bow hunt so don't really need the rifle pouch and this also brings the load farther away from my body. I find myself hunching over a lot when packing weight.

I also see people say the MR fits them better than the Kifaru and vise versa. I think that would depend on the body type. It would be best to try both out but unfortunately, I don't have the funds to do that. For reference, I'm 5'8" with a more athletic build. 165 lbs, waist is about 30-31 inches. Torso is about 16 inches.

Anyone with similar build that's tried both or have any of these packs that can provide input?

Thank you

WKR
The Beartooth is a good bag, the guide lite mt frame is very good also. It will do everything the Kifaru will do, but in the end, personal preference plays the biggest part of the decision.

I think MR is on sale right now, up to 30% off.

OP
K

ktran

FNG
The Beartooth is a good bag, the guide lite mt frame is very good also. It will do everything the Kifaru will do, but in the end, personal preference plays the biggest part of the decision.

I think MR is on sale right now, up to 30% off.
Thanks for the input! I didn't know about the sale. Will have to check that out.

*zap*

WKR
With your torso length my opinion is that you want a frame with straight stays....and you may want short shoulder straps. Guide lite or SG evo have straight stays. Kifaru may offer straight but you can customize their aluminum stays. You definitely do not want an x-curve.

MR guide lite may be the most economical option and I have no issues with mine, I also own SG and Kifaru.

Either one will get the job done. Kifaru is more customizable but more expensive. Scheels currently has MR Beartooth on sale for $450. The better choice is whichever fits your body better, but there's no way to know that without trying them both on.

OP
K

ktran

FNG
Either one will get the job done. Kifaru is more customizable but more expensive. Scheels currently has MR Beartooth on sale for $450. The better choice is whichever fits your body better, but there's no way to know that without trying them both on.
Agreed. I wish Scheel's had Kifaru for me to try on. Thanks!

I’m not close to your size lol but I have been in your situation (sort of). I started off with a tensing pack and it was horrible. I upgraded to a mystery ranch Marshall on the old style frame and then upgraded again to the new frame. I also bought the bear tooth 80 and I was quite happy for a few years and still think it’s a decent pack. The new guide lite mt frame was a huge improvement in the way it felt to me. I have moved on to a kifaru this year and it does fit me a lot better and the customer service can’t be beat.
I don’t think you can really go wrong with either option but personally I would do the mystery ranch if funds are a little tighter unless you can find some decent deals on a used pack. Then once you know if you are going to be doing the western hunting more you can upgrade to a kifaru if you want to try it out or stick with the mystery ranch if it worked good for you.

I am right about the same size you are, but I went the opposite direction with a pack. I started with Kifaru and tried both the bikini and the duplex frame, medium and small belts along with several variations of packs. They are phenomenal packs but I could’ve get them to fit me like I felt they should. I tried different stays and shoulder straps, but in the end I realized I just wasn’t going to be comfy with those packs. Then I tried an Exo and it was awesome and fit me well. I used on a few elk hunts but didn’t like the waist belt or the different sized webbing on the pack. It also had a rounded bottom so it wouldn’t sit up on its own. Little things I know…. On a whim a guy on Rokslide wanted to trade his MR Pintler for an exo so I traded him. The MR came with the NICE frame and it had an extension to be able to actually use the load lifters. This pack felt awesome. I had it for a couple of years and then got a guide light frame and haven’t looked back. I modified my MR crew cab and have been using that set up for several years now.

Long story short, you may have to try a few to get what you want, but Kifaru, Exo, SG, MR all seem to be fairly easy to sell.

OP
K

ktran

FNG
I’m not close to your size lol but I have been in your situation (sort of). I started off with a tensing pack and it was horrible. I upgraded to a mystery ranch Marshall on the old style frame and then upgraded again to the new frame. I also bought the bear tooth 80 and I was quite happy for a few years and still think it’s a decent pack. The new guide lite mt frame was a huge improvement in the way it felt to me. I have moved on to a kifaru this year and it does fit me a lot better and the customer service can’t be beat.
I don’t think you can really go wrong with either option but personally I would do the mystery ranch if funds are a little tighter unless you can find some decent deals on a used pack. Then once you know if you are going to be doing the western hunting more you can upgrade to a kifaru if you want to try it out or stick with the mystery ranch if it worked good for you.
I ended up picking up an MR Beartooth and it's miles ahead of my older eberlestock pack. I'm sure the Kifaru is even better but for now, I am very happy with it. Thank you for your input!

OP
K

ktran

FNG
I am right about the same size you are, but I went the opposite direction with a pack. I started with Kifaru and tried both the bikini and the duplex frame, medium and small belts along with several variations of packs. They are phenomenal packs but I could’ve get them to fit me like I felt they should. I tried different stays and shoulder straps, but in the end I realized I just wasn’t going to be comfy with those packs. Then I tried an Exo and it was awesome and fit me well. I used on a few elk hunts but didn’t like the waist belt or the different sized webbing on the pack. It also had a rounded bottom so it wouldn’t sit up on its own. Little things I know…. On a whim a guy on Rokslide wanted to trade his MR Pintler for an exo so I traded him. The MR came with the NICE frame and it had an extension to be able to actually use the load lifters. This pack felt awesome. I had it for a couple of years and then got a guide light frame and haven’t looked back. I modified my MR crew cab and have been using that set up for several years now.

Long story short, you may have to try a few to get what you want, but Kifaru, Exo, SG, MR all seem to be fairly easy to sell.
Oh wow, that's awesome! Most people like the Kifarus but there have been a few that reported the MR felt best. I think it really breaks down to body shape and size. I got the MR and am very happy with it right now. Over time, I'll try to get my hands on the others to try out. Thanks!