Pack help

I live in north eastern New York and hunt whitetails in the Adirondack mountains as well as the Maine and New Hampshire big woods. I’m searching for a pack that is very minimalist that has the ability to carry a quartered 200lb deer. Comfort with meat on it isn’t very important I’m usually with 5-8 miles from the truck and will only have meat on it a few times a year. What is important to me is a quiet material. I average 10-12 miles a day so comfort empty is very important as well as freedom of movement.

I’ve been doing a bunch of research and can’t find a quality pack that is made of a quiet material.

I do 95% of my hunting in the thick woods tracking so being quiet is the number one priority.

I also want the pack to be no wider than me to be able to get through the thick woods quietly.

I don’t want a bunch of straps hanging all over t to get caught in branch’s and prickers bushes.

I don’t want thick shoulder straps because I will be shooting with the pack on and usually in a hurry.

I don’t need a lot of room in the pack I currently only carry a fanny pack and it has plenty of room.

Ideally I think I want a pack frame with a very small pack on it but most all the frames I have found have very thick shoulder straps and that’s not going to work for me.

Don’t really have a budget just want something that will suit my needs and last.

Thanks for any and all help it’s greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muddydogs

WKR
From what I have looked at there are no good quality packs that are quiet and Badlands isn't quality. I purchased a Mystery Ranch Cabinet on the Guide Light frame then made a cheap light weight cotton pack cover much like a rain cover to go over the pack to keep it quiet. I don't use the cover anymore as I have gotten used to the pack and how to avoid hitting it on stuff plus if its that thick that my pack is making noise then I'm making noise in general. I have no problem shooting with the shoulder strap but then I do practice a few shots a year with my pack on.

zloomis

Lil-Rokslider
I would check out Seek Outside. I picked it up specifically because it is very minimalist and carries very comfortable with light loads (I use it for backpacking trips now too) The only thing is the XPAC material is not particularly quiet but I wouldn't call it load either, you can cinch everything up nicely so nothing is swinging around making noise.

OP
B
I think the Badlands 2200 fits all of that pretty good

I’ve had a couple badlands and their material is extremely loud and I was very disappointed with heir quality but thanks for the recommendation!

OP
B
From what I have looked at there are no good quality packs that are quiet and Badlands isn't quality. I purchased a Mystery Ranch Cabinet on the Guide Light frame then made a cheap light weight cotton pack cover much like a rain cover to go over the pack to keep it quiet. I don't use the cover anymore as I have gotten used to the pack and how to avoid hitting it on stuff plus if its that thick that my pack is making noise then I'm making noise in general. I have no problem shooting with the shoulder strap but then I do practice a few shots a year with my pack on.

I have considered a cover like you’re talking about, if I found something that worked for everything else I would probably go that route.

The shoulder straps is an area that I won’t budge on. Most of my shots are close “under 30yds” and most are at running deer. My main deer rifle is a pump 35whelen and it has a peep sight and even with lots of practice “100’s of rounds” I can’t get comfortable shooting with thick shoulder straps especially with quick follow up shots because the but pad “or lack of” moves off the pad with every shot.

KHNC

WKR
Seek Outside Peregrine is a nice pack that should fit the bill for you. I wear it all day elk hunting and packed out 120lbs or so of boned out meat with mine last year. If you can pack 200lbs 5-8 miles, you are a serious man!

OP
B
Seek Outside Peregrine is a nice pack that should fit the bill for you. I wear it all day elk hunting and packed out 120lbs or so of boned out meat with mine last year. If you can pack 200lbs 5-8 miles, you are a serious man!

Haha, not sure where you got the carrying 200lbs from but I sure ain’t carrying 200lbs 5-8 miles, maybe feet.

KHNC

WKR
Haha, not sure where you got the carrying 200lbs from but I sure ain’t carrying 200lbs 5-8 miles, maybe feet.

LOL, re read post. Says 200lb quartered deer. yeah , that puts you at about 80lbs or so with antlers and cape. Doable for sure.

JD619er

WKR
I think you should check out the mystery ranch pop up 28 and pop up 18 packs. Minimalist packs that have less padding that the guidelight series. They frame is also very low profile while in hunt mode making it easier to duck under branches and remain quiet

jdubrr

Lil-Rokslider
what about just a Kifaru frame and one of their accessory pockets? If you say the fanny pack has plenty of room then this will be huge improvement, but the not sure that you will like the straps - only downside

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
Hill People Gear. They have a new pack frame and the shoulder straps are real thin on their harness. I have a AHBC, wouldn’t haul meat with it but their bigger stuff should. Their harness is pretty sweet.

ofl0926

WKR
I’m a whitetail hunter and used an eastern ruck from Kifaru last year in Missouri. It was great pack and was extremely comfortable. I would walk over a mile to my blind through frozen soy bean fields that were not cut. I had it packed to the brim with my first lite sanctuary bibs and other stuff. It was great. Has a waist belt and nice shoulder straps. Has a frame sheet and will hold some weight.

OP
B
Hill People Gear. They have a new pack frame and the shoulder straps are real thin on their harness. I have a AHBC, wouldn’t haul meat with it but their bigger stuff should. Their harness is pretty sweet.

Now that decker frame has some serious potential! I really like the straps and belt on that, very minimal!

How is the quality, they seem to be a less know brand so reviews seem hard to come by.

jyukai

FNG
Now that decker frame has some serious potential! I really like the straps and belt on that, very minimal!

How is the quality, they seem to be a less know brand so reviews seem hard to come by.

Quality is very good. Their stuff are made by First Spear.

I actually run the HPG shoulder harness on my Kifaru packs (Urban zippy, Tarryall) and it is the most comfortable fit for me, and I find the thin wide yoke distributes weight very well.

I love how customizable the Decker frame is. Took out the 24 inch default stays and framesheet, slotted in my own 20 inch stay/framesheet and am running a Kifaru Woodsman bag on it. Only frame that I know of that you can freely change the height to below the usual 22/24/26 inch choices.

jbid62

FNG
I've got both the new Badlands 2200 and Mystery Ranch Sawtooth. Badlands is quieter material, and compresses down to a very slim, narrow profile unless it's fully packed. It's REALLY comfortable with 15-20 lbs worth of gear in it.
Sawtooth is a louder, but shorter profile, extremely rugged. It doesn't get much higher than my shoulders even with the load lifters in the right position. The "overload" function is way better for packing out meat, it puts all the close to your back on the semi-rigid frame. I think both are good options depending on your needs.

jog

FNG
... hunt whitetails in the Adirondack mountains as well as the Maine and New Hampshire big woods. I’m searching for a pack that is very minimalist that has the ability to carry a quartered 200lb deer.

I hunted the Maine big woods for years. But plan on that 265lb (dressed) deer.
If I was going back I would run a Kuiu 1850. Its is a very well thought out pack, very skinny. If too small you can go up a size with little penalty in perceived bulk. I love mine its all I need for day hunting elk under any conditions and knowing Maine woods like I do would be stellar in that application. Fabric not quiet however.