Pack Help...

CO-AJ

WKR
So I thought tents and sleeping bags would be data paralysis by analysis, who would have figured back packs are the hardest to make a decision about. I could use a bit of help and advice from the pros on this forum as I have read numerous positive reviews on as many brands. Let me provide how I intend to use the pack and then I will give you my current list. 3-5 day backpacking trips primarily in the Rockies. Will always carry a rifle and usually a pistol on the belt, will never use a water bladder rather 1-2 bottles, prefer a big open main compartment without all kinds of little "organization" pockets, compression flexibility down to around 2400ci, top access/main compartment zipper access, highly water resistant, and a shelf/straps underneath for carrying tents, pads, etc.... Initially this will not be used to carry loads over 50-60 lbs but I like the flexibility to carry large western game out if I go on a backpack hunt. Here is my current list, in no particular order: HMG Porter 5400, Seek Outside Lanner 5400, Kifaru 44mag and Mountain Warrior, EXO K3 4800. I have considered Stone Glacier and Mystery Ranch but they have some lukewarm reviews vs the others. Eberlestock is another consideration but I read that much of their technology is a bit dated compared to the list above. I am trying to stay in the 75-85L size and keep the weight of the pack as low as possible. I have seen 2 great reviews on Rokslide for the SO Lanner and the EXO, but there is a big weight difference between the two. I am trying to find a standout bag making my decision on something other than price as the deciding factor. Thanks for a great forum, although new to it, I am really enjoying contributing.

Rob5589

WKR
Exo will do all you need. Just be aware, they do not recommend hanging gear off the pack; tent, bag, etc, like straight backpackers do. Their bags are designed to be the "compression," if you will, in order to be efficient and streamlined.

Marble

WKR
Sounds like you are describing the Cavern from Kifaru. I think the muskeg has more ability to repel water than the Cavern. It's a big volume pack with a large main interior.

Go bigger than you think if you plan on carrying out big game. Not everyone uses or likes the meat shelves. They sound like a great idea and can be great, but it's not what works for everyone.

Superdoo

WKR
Provide your height, weight and pant size as that can make a difference.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You've already thought about most of the important factors, but I'll drop this link anyway as it may help you consider all the factors.

I work for SO, so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

OP
CO-AJ

CO-AJ

WKR
You've already thought about most of the important factors, but I'll drop this link anyway as it may help you consider all the factors.

I work for SO, so if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Awesome. Do you have an email at SO, and I can just contact you directly. I really like the Lanner 5400 but am interested in a couple custom mods. I know given the current environment SO isn't doing much custom work but eventually I am sure you will again offer customization.

Bearsears

WKR
I have the SO Lanner and I used it all last summer on backpack trips, pack weight training, an archery elk hunt, and packed two deer out on a rifle hunt last year. I definitely recommend it. Feel free to pm me or ask me any questions here if I can help.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

rj2

WKR
I got a custom SO breakaway 5400 pack similar to lanner but no full zipper, and in x33 instead of x42. Gila style mesh face pocket, one tall lanner side pocket and 1 water bottle side pocket both out of spectragrid. It's about 4lb 5oz ready to go with small waist belt. With my changes I thought it came in pretty heavy compared to the lanner but it's still a killer pack

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Awesome. Do you have an email at SO, and I can just contact you directly. I really like the Lanner 5400 but am interested in a couple custom mods. I know given the current environment SO isn't doing much custom work but eventually I am sure you will again offer customization.

[email protected]

Happy to help.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
you can cross the HMG off your list; great pack for backpacking, no way it would handle meat loads on top of your gear- it'a pack designed for carrying ~ 40 lbs and under, it's not a hauler by any stretch

I certainly wouldn't cross Stone Glacier off your list, as far as a hauler tough to beat imo- and still relatively lightweight

I own a SO Divide that I picked up for longer duration backpacking and winter backpacking, it carries loads of 40 lbs comfortably, not sure how it would carry 80-90 lbs loads though

*zap*

WKR
There is nothing lukewarm about SG or MR.

Bottom line is what frame fits 'you' best then find the bag that is right for you. Torso length is important to consider as is back profile when you get started getting frame's to try out. Without trying different companies/models frames you do not know how they will be for you and by 'trying' I mean at least a half dozen longer hikes with different weights. YMMV.

Last edited:
OP
CO-AJ

CO-AJ

WKR
I am pretty sure I have made the decision to go with a SO 6000 series custom. Once SO starts taking custom orders again I will get my order into them.

OP
CO-AJ

CO-AJ

WKR
I am pretty sure I have made the decision to go with a SO 6000 series custom. Once SO starts taking custom orders again I will get my order into them.
I ended up going Exo 6400. Excited to get the pack and ill post some initial comments and thoughts when I get it.