Pack help!!

cjthomas2

FNG
Don't bash me because this question may come up quite a bit. I am from the Midwest and only whitetail hunt with an antelope hunt from time to time and am going on my first backpack hunt (7 days) for elk this fall, ideally this would turn into a once a year thing. Thant being said, I have a Kifaru stryker and frame on order going to be delivered tomorrow and had intentions of ordering the 44 mag for the elk trip but I am second guessing and thinking I should just order the camp bag and use the stryker.

I am probably overthinking everything but I want some insight whether I can justify buying another bag for a 1 trip a year or buy a camp bag/55L Dry bag for food and camp and drop it and use the stryker as a day bag??

Am I going to be happier on this trip with the 44 mag?

You could probably go either way but Man, If I were you, I would order the 44 Mag as well. I used it last year for backpack trips and elk hunts and it never made me wish for more. Plenty of room in the main compartment and the top compartments were great for organizing items. I'm not sure if I would personally like to go the dry bag route but it might work out for you. That's the beauty of Kifaru gear; plenty of options!

You could probably go either way but Man, If I were you, I would order the 44 Mag as well. I used it last year for backpack trips and elk hunts and it never made me wish for more. Plenty of room in the main compartment and the top compartments were great for organizing items. I'm not sure if I would personally like to go the dry bag route but it might work out for you. That's the beauty of Kifaru gear; plenty of options!
agree... may only use it one trip per year, but in that case it will last forever, and within that " forever " timeframe, it will come in handy for something more than your annual elk trips.... if you end up feeling like you don't want it at some point (which you won't unless your needs change) you can sell it and get a good chunk of your money back.

you could buy the dry bag, but if you put your gear in that, where do you plan on putting meat on a successful hunt? I know we're all different, but I would never use my load shelf for gear, that's where my meat goes, and I want that real-estate open for when I am packing meat. I want a bag that holds my gear, so I have the whole load shelf for meat, and can keep my gear clean, not all blood soaked.... been there, and the last thing I want to deal with after a successful hunt is trying to clean all of my stuff, and dry it all after so it doesn't get nasty.

throw meat in the load shelf, come home, spray it out (rub in some baking soda if really blood soaked, hang until dry, and you're ready to rock.

I carry one or 2 contractor bags always, and use that over the game bags to minimize most of the mess (still usually get some small punctures from brush) there is always some mess, but I try to minimize that, which takes the right pack setups

you won't regret the 44mag

OP
C

cjthomas2

FNG
Done deal, I have a 44 mag in the cart going to pull the trigger this evening. Thanks for your input guys! The Stryker will be put to good use training and whitetail hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk