Pack idea

Lukealoop

FNG
Hey guys im new to RokSlide so if what im about to talk about has already been discussed on another thread please let me know. Basically i own a SG xCurve pack as well as the kuiu pack with the new pro suspension. i love both bags but living in quite a wet area with thick brush im getting kind of tired of cordura fabric and using a pack cover when it rains, i snag that pack cover on everything and water usually finds its way in any ways. so now what im thinking is using a dry bag in conjunction with the meat hauler feature of the pack. organization wise all i need is a water bottle holder on the side and im good as im used to using barebones top entry bags and dont need all the extra pockets. the problem is i cant find a dry bag i like, id prefer one made out of something like xpac vx21 or that dyneema grid stop stuff but cant seem to find anything like that anywhere. my question is have any of you guys tried just using a roll top dry bag like this in conjunction with the meat hauler feature of the pack with any succuss or is it to much of a pain in the ass? secondly where could one find say a 50L dry bag made out of these high tech fabrics or who could i contact about making one as i have no sewing equipment and no knowledge with waterproofing the sewn seams.
any advice is much appreciated, thanks!

You can buy a 55 liter from Kifaru for $35. https://store.kifaru.net/durable-dry-sack-55l-p152.aspx
Sea to Summit also makes a 65 liter.

I believe what most guys do is pack anything that they don't want to get wet in smaller dry bags inside their pack. I use the eVent drybags for anything that I'm concerned about getting wet, which is really just my down quilt. I'm 50 years old and even though I've been in some impressive rain storms while backpacking and hunting, and do own a rain cover, I've never put it on my bag.

Contractor trash bags inside a top loading pack. Works great and really cheap. Just stuff everything down into it and fold over the top.
When I was involved with the local Search and Rescue a test we would pull on newbies ( or each other if you left your pack unattended 😁) was to throw the pack into a creek.
I am sure you can find or make something with the high tech fabrics but why? A box of contractor bags is about $10. Don’t over think it.
It’s worked for me in western Washington for 30+ years.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yes , on our original seek outside packs I ran a talon and a sea to summit dry bag as my main backpacking setup . There are advantages and disadvantages to both setups .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use trash compactor bags. They are extremely durable and fit better than contractor bags.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A lot of times and depending on use weight may not matter that much but you know it is common for Cordura to gain close to 1lb in water weight so the bag inside keeps stuff dry it still can add a fair amount of weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve used a few with my stone glacier frame, their shelf adds extra protection for the bottom.
The Sg bag fits like a glove but not durable for brush. I lined it with a trash bag for waterproofing.
Sea to summit big river dry bags are also flatter instead of barrel shaped. Has lashing loops on the side. Material is stout for a drybag.
Outdoor products from wm or amazon are a barrel but really tough and cheap. My 20 liter is starting to delaminate after several years but it’s $5. The 40 liter has a more robust bottom. Both are relatively heavy but still lighter than cordura especially when wet.

mort9687

FNG
I just use sea to summit dry bags or i have the kuiu boned out meat bags that are water resistant/proof.

OP
L

Lukealoop

FNG
thanks for the tips guys, i might have to look at trying a compactor bag as it seems like a popular idea, i ussually have all the stuff i dont want wet in dry bags anyways, i was just trying to think of an idea so i dont have to deal with a wet cordura bag that soaks up a lot of weight in water. ( yes im a bit of a weight weenie) i was looking at some of the more durable ultralight thru hiking backpacks and noticed a lot of them use that fancy grid stop stuff or x pac fabric and wondered how that would work durability wise as a backpack material for hunting. i noticed seek outsides hunting pack is similar to what i have in mind and would probably just go for one of those packs except ive already spent too much money on hunting packs already haha. does any one have any experience with the seek outside packs? how does that xpac material hold up? thanks

In regards to the Seek Outside packs, you can search here for reviews and posts, but I've never heard anything but positive things said about their packs.